Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets Discuss - Tom Campbell

Campbell was playing at the Bendigo Bombers with Tory Dickson until the Bulldogs threw him a lifeline and offered him a position as a rookie.
    After a strong performance in a pre-season game for the Dogs at Ballarat, Campbell proceeded to play some good football at Williamstown before eventually being promoted to the Bulldogs senior list and by the end of his first season Campbell had played 7 senior games.

This year he had some interruptions with injuries but once he returned to the senior list he had a significant impact as a forward who also provided some much needed relief in the ruck for Will Minson.
    Campbell kicked goals, held his marks and really contributed to a rejuvenated forward line.

He has plenty of work to do to lift his fitness base because at times he appears to struggle to run out games. He also needs to improve his ruck work and mobility as he looks to become Minson's main back-up.

What does 2014 hold for Tom Campbell? With Crameri in the side can he hold down a spot in the forward line? Can he continue to improve?

I'd be interested in your thoughts
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets Discuss - Tom Campbell

Perhaps the biggest surprise packet of the season. Early on in the year you could write your own ticket as to whether big Tom had a long term career ahead of him. When given a senior opportunity he invariably looked all at sea, struggled to position himself properly and simply didn't look like getting the ball.

Fast forward to the second half of the season and he looked a completely different player. Agile for a big man with good pace and a thumping kick, Tom became a real target up forward and for the first time finally looked like he would mark the ball whenever the opportunity arose....largely because he was able to take front position and hold it. He's gone from the lumbering liability to the great white hope in the space of about four months!

To me Tom represents one of our most exciting propositions. Another pre-season will make that impressive frame even stronger and I expect continued improvement in his reading of the play and his marking which already showed improvement last season. Whilst Crameri is the gun recruit it may actually be Campbell who has the biggest impact on our forwardline. I can see him monstering some backmen next year and our other forwards will benefit hugely from the attention the opoosition will need to pay him. The fact he can give big Will a genuine chopout in the ruck makes him even more valuable. I have high hopes and expectations for him even though he is still young with a lot of development to come.

Post Thanks / Like

I was pretty unimpressed with him after the Richmond debacle, and had some serious doubts over his ability as in that game he did nothing, even when it came near him. I preferred Cordy's impact at that game which is really saying something as I don't rate Cordy as a forward.

His second half to the year was outstanding though in that not only did he perform well but he played a role which really positively influenced the way our forwardline operated. Finally we had somebody that was a marking threat from those aimless long bombs, and if he didn't mark it he was strong and smart enough not to be pushed aside and to still impact the contest. As a result even on his bad days I can see defenders being very conscious of his presence and I feel he will at least create chances for our smaller players like Dahlhaus, Hunter and the crumbing version of Grant.

This is why he still gets a spot up forward even with Crameri's inclusion, as nobody else in the squad offers the presence and long bomb target ability that Campbell does.

Plus he has good taste in music.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Perhaps the biggest surprise packet of the season. Early on in the year you could write your own ticket as to whether big Tom had a long term career ahead of him. When given a senior opportunity he invariably looked all at sea, struggled to position himself properly and simply didn't look like getting the ball.
    Thunder stolen. Massive surprise.

One of the smarter big men going around, and for a player who's only been at the elite level for two years his fitness is getting there. Another one or two preseasons and he would be cherry ripe for a long career.

Not the greatest forward of all time but his presence has improved the function of the forward line immeasurably, and with Crameri as another marking option you'd think that would benefit Tom greatly.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Crameri will compliment Campbell and i don't see them competing for the same spot.

As others have said, he was very impressive in the second half of the year. When he couldn't take a mark, he was creating a goal with a quick tap or just making his presence felt.

Fitness and core strength is the key, but I wouldn't like to see him put on any weight as it may really slow him down.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I still see him primarily as a work in progress and long term he still seems more fo a no 1 ruck for me, although he is slightly better forward than Minson.

Given the change in disposal efficiency towards the end of the season flattering our forwardline compared to the start of the year, the jury is still out his long term credentials as a forward for me.

At this stage he's on the fringe of our best 22, not overly surprised if he lines up round 1.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I still see him primarily as a work in progress and long term he still seems more fo a no 1 ruck for me, although he is slightly better forward than Minson.

Given the change in disposal efficiency towards the end of the season flattering our forwardline compared to the start of the year, the jury is still out his long term credentials as a forward for me.

At this stage he's on the fringe of our best 22, not overly surprised if he lines up round 1.
    Slightly better forward than Will? I think you are being kind to Will who has never been convincing up forward and gave me no confidence in the limited time he played there last season. In Campbell it was nice having someone in the goalsquare who actually looked like clunking one whenever the ball came up there.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Hes an injury to Wilbur away from being our #1 ruck and may come in and out of the side as a full forward, depending on how the other forwards go with form and injuries.

Im happy for him to play at Footscray all year. He'll be a good player and his time will come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Hes an injury to Wilbur away from being our #1 ruck and may come in and out of the side as a full forward, depending on how the other forwards go with form and injuries.

Im happy for him to play at Footscray all year. He'll be a good player and his time will come.
    That's my concern. Wilbur is ruck plan A. Campbell is plan B. Ayce is plan C.

If we want to make him a FF, then we must get another ruckman. Ayce being number 1 ruck shouldn't be even considered at this stage.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Slightly better forward than Will? I think you are being kind to Will who has never been convincing up forward and gave me no confidence in the limited time he played there last season. In Campbell it was nice having someone in the goalsquare who actually looked like clunking one whenever the ball came up there.
    Based on a few games? I'd like to see more of a player before I make a call. Will has shown glimpses forward as much as Campbell, but nothing (in either) suggests long term forward to me just yet.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Tom has played just 13 games, and in that time he has gone from a gangly ruckman with questionable fitness to a formidable forward who, at the very least, always gives a contest. Almost all of his possessions are contested. His marking has really come along - his work rate, positioning and protection of space were improving weekly at the end of the season. If he starts holding most of the marks he contests, and he contests plenty, he will be a massive worry for the opposition and one of the most prolific contested marks in the competition. With his thumping boot, he could kick quite a few goals once he really gets the hang of things. The other thing that endears him to us all is his hardness. He has never blinked - the goal post incident underlines that. And I remember his first game against Brisbane when Jonathan Brown ran through him as he waited, camped under a long bomb to their goal square. Should have been a free to Tom, but wasn't. Ash McGrath gave him one to the chops when he was on the ground, too. Tommy just got up, shook himself off and got on with it. I knew then that he was a hard bastard. Remember, he has played just 13 AFL games. He has a lot of learning to do. 2014 will show us further glimpses, and he will likely make more of the dumb mistakes he made this year, but look out in 2015 and beyond.

BTW, what do you know about his music taste, soupaman?

Post Thanks / Like

If he make the transition to full forward he would be a imposing figure. Who would need Boyd.
    Can Mooney take credit for the turn around in late season form. I would like to see Tom become a surprise packet and when he gets to 50 games he's a backmans nightmare and needs to be doubled teamed and the rest of our forwards go ballistic.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RWB54 View Post
    BTW, what do you know about his music taste, soupaman?
    Saw him at two concerts, Northeast Party House at the corner and Radiohead at Rod Laver.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Crameri will compliment Campbell and i don't see them competing for the same spot.

As others have said, he was very impressive in the second half of the year. When he couldn't take a mark, he was creating a goal with a quick tap or just making his presence felt.

Fitness and core strength is the key, but I wouldn't like to see him put on any weight as it may really slow him down.
    I agree, he looks big and strong and has the appropriate weight for a ruckman but he still needs to improve on his core strength, or at least how to use it.

He is a lot better than Ayce but still needs to learn some forward craft and how to out think/out muscle his opponents.

He will get more attention next year and they will try and take his arms out but that will just play into Crameri's favour or our smalls.

Campbell was the key to our late season turn around and that is simply because he was able to provide a long marking target. His presence encourages faster ball movement up the field and quicker decision making. Without him we simply lack confidence kicking to Jones, Cordy or Grant as a pack marking target.

Going to be interesting to see how we combine Campbell, Crameri, Stringer, Jones, Grant, Cordy. You would think 3 at the same time max most likely.
    Pre-season will certainly be competitive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Going to be interesting to see how we combine Campbell, Crameri, Stringer, Jones, Grant, Cordy. You would think 3 at the same time max most likely.
    Pre-season will certainly be competitive.
    Agree that only one of Cordy and Campbell (and Minson)can be in the forwardline at any one time but not sure we couldn't have one of them plus three of the others named considering they are all very mobile players. Said it before that as a group they present a scary matchup for opposition coaches with their height, strength and pace.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.