Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  49
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog Team of the Century 2000-2100: Nominations Open:

Tom Liberatore
    Nominated for Liam Picken's midfield role (Picken to bench)

Debut 2011

158 games, 55 goals (to Rd 10 2021)

1x Premiership (2016)
    1x Charles Sutton Medal (2014)
    Scott West Most Courageous Award - Western Bulldogs : 2016
    Doug Hawkins Medal - Western Bulldogs: 2013
    Gary Dempsey Medal - Western Bulldogs: 2020
    Western Bulldogs Tony Liberatore Most Improved Player Award: 2012
    Chris Grant Medal - Western Bulldogs Best First Year Player: 2011
    John Van Groningen Domestique Award - Western Bulldogs: 2020
    2x Brad Johnson Best Team Player - Western Bulldogs: 2014, 2020

Libba has been an essential part of our club for the past 10 years. Despite having his 2015 and 2018 seasons ruined by injury, Libba has persisted and got himself back in to career-best form in 2021. He leads the competition in clearances, is ranked by the AFL rankings as the third best player in the league and would be arguably beating the best player in the competition for our best and fairest.

Libba debuted against the Bombers in Rd 1 2011, kicking things off the way they would go on with 7 clearances, and in game 2 he had 28 touches with 10 tackles against the Lions. He played 16 games in his debut season and won the best first year player award at the club, before following up with another 17 games in season 2, continuing to develop his role as an essential part of our young midfield. Nobody typified the Mccartney 'crack in' years better than Libba - with the only issue being the way he was 'cracking in' off field as well. Libba was suspended by the club following round 17 2012 and missed the final six games, after being found unconscious on King St.

In 2013 he was on a mission of redemption, and boy did he redeem himself. He finished 2nd in the best and fairest, lead the league in clearances and polled 14 Brownlow votes (his highest tally).

He was one of few shining lights in 2014, when he won his first Charles Sutton medal. He lead the league in tackles (including a run of 14,12,10,14,10) and was part of the AA squad. It was devastating for fans, and undoubtedly for Tom, when he ruptured his ACL in a pre-season game at Whitten Oval in 2015, ruling him out of Luke Beveridge's first season in charge.

We would not have won our 2016 flag without Libba. A heart and soul player, he was our midfield bull all year. He suffered another potentially season-ending injury in Rd 19 when he damaged his syndesmosis, but made an extraordinary recovery to be back for the finals series where he played a key role in the starting midfield - although he almost missed the GF after injuring his ankle again in the frantic on-field celebrations in western Sydney. He came 4th in the B&F in this enormous year in the club's history.
    EF v Eagles 22d, 6cl, 3t, 1 goal
    SF v Hawks 20d, 4cl, 4t
    PF v giants 15d 5cl 7t
    GF v Swans 22d 8cl 8t, 100*

Libba's 2017 season was a low point, as the team slumped around him and he was actually dropped in round 8. He then tore his ACL again in Rd 1 2018, and many wondered whether we would ever get the B&F winning bull back on the field. His 2019 season did not allay those fears, as he was once again average and missed out on top 10 in the B&F.

In 2020 we got our man back. He finished 3rd in the B&F, as well as the Domestique and the Best Team Player award.

Some career highs:
    Tackles - 19 Rd 8 2016 vs Melbourne
    Clearances - 14 Rd 22 2013 v Brisbane
    Disposals - surprisingly has only had 30+ 11 times in his career - highest being 36 in both 2013 fixtures against Melbourne
    Goals - 3 rd11 2016 v WC (including the matchwinner)

2. Thanks bulldogtragic, soupman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing nomination post!!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Jazza, a follow up.

Your nomination is Libba, Picken to the bench. The bench is:

Int: W. Minson R. Hargrave R. Griffen J. Macrae

Who do you nominate Picken to replace as a domino effect?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Jazza, a follow up.

Your nomination is Libba, Picken to the bench. The bench is:

Int: W. Minson R. Hargrave R. Griffen J. Macrae

Who do you nominate Picken to replace as a domino effect?
    Well if I can be sneaky I think your initial rules state the bench is the number of current bench players +3, so he can just take one of the spares

Otherwise it gets a lot harder. The nature of Griffen's departure rules him ineligible for a team of the century in my broken heart, despite the number of sublime games that he played for us.

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Well if I can be sneaky I think your initial rules state the bench is the number of current bench players +3, so he can just take one of the spares

Otherwise it gets a lot harder. The nature of Griffen's departure rules him ineligible for a team of the century in my broken heart, despite the number of sublime games that he played for us.
    You read the rules, I’m damn impressed!! I’m changing them to move us into the hard phase and for the analytical debate.

So: Libba into the team (again great nomination post), Picken to the bench and Griffen dropped for ever more.

Proposed Int: W. Minson R. Hargrave L. Picken J. Macrae

I second the motion. Libba has now got the runs on the board for me. Recently breaking the most games of 12+ clearances (14 games). He’s a good shot at goal too. For all the reasons Jazza says, I agree.

I also agree Picken is the best like for like out. Picken was not only a solid midfielder and best tagged in the comp, but under Bevo he was a high flying goal kicking machine. For that he must stay in the bench. I want a second ruck, extra defender and Macrae. It’s a hard call, but I also agree that Griffen is the unlucky man to drop out of the 22 for ever more.

For those interested in informing the decision or offering alternate decisions, please contribute with some analysis or your experience in watching some or all.

Post Thanks / Like

Two comments.

- The amount of players named on the interchange shall be the number of the current year (4), then as at year 2100.
    - Any "subs" or similar shall be included into the interchange bench.
    Based on the above I believe there should be a medical sub position available. So Griffen if dropped should only fall to the medical sub position.

Also I agree Libba pushes Picken out, however considering Johnson is nominated as a "forward" and played much of his career as our primary target i think you could justify he is the best full forward option available, allowing Picken to take a forward spot as well and keep Griffen in the 22.

Unsure if that's being a touch cheeky with the position rules or not.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Two comments.

Based on the above I believe there should be a medical sub position available. So Griffen if dropped should only fall to the medical sub position.

Also I agree Libba pushes Picken out, however considering Johnson is nominated as a "forward" and played much of his career as our primary target i think you could justify he is the best full forward option available, allowing Picken to take a forward spot as well and keep Griffen in the 22.

Unsure if that's being a touch cheeky with the position rules or not.
    The original rules state dubs are absorbed into the bench. Johnson was nominated and accepted as a ‘forward/half forward’, not full forward.

The hard part starts now and for 78 years. We can’t put all the very good players in. I think within 3 years there’s going to be some very, very, very hard decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

The original rules state dubs are absorbed into the bench. Johnson was nominated and accepted as a ‘forward/half forward’, not full forward.

The hard part starts now and for 78 years. We can’t put all the very good players in. I think within 3 years there’s going to be some very, very, very hard decisions

You think that this is complicated? Wait until I get Unleashed/Bulldog Heritage Volumes 1 & 2/Mark Pennings 19th Century Football Histories out and start working on the First 75 Years TOC!

Dolly Aked or Con McCarthy? Jack Hutchinson or Roy Park? Hmmmm...
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

The hard part starts now and for 78 years. We can’t put all the very good players in. I think within 3 years there’s going to be some very, very, very hard decisions.
    All we need to do is keep the 'squad' list updated so that those who follow in our footsteps have all the info they need to make the final decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    All we need to do is keep the 'squad' list updated so that those who follow in our footsteps have all the info they need to make the final decision.
    Will add the ‘missed list category’ for all 100+ gamers.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had another look at the previous TOTC. They went with 6 on the interchange. For consistency, I will increase our bench to 6. That means Tom Liberatore is hereby inducted into our ongoing TOTC. Meaning in the first TOTC Tony Liberatore made the cut, and in our ongoing TOTC his son Tom Liberatore has also made it. Great nomination Jazza, well done.

Team Of The Century - 22 Years of 100 Years

B: R. Murphy (c) - B. Lake - D. Morris ——— 734 Games, 216 Goals
    HB: R. Smith - E. Wood - L. Gilbee ——— 686 Games*, 392 Goals*
    C: N. Eagleton - S. West - M. Bontempelli ——— 702 Games*, 433 Goals*
    HF: T. Dickson - C. Grant (vc) - A. Cooney ——— 679 Games, 921 Goals
    F: B. Johnson - Vacant - D. Giansiracusa ——— 629 Games, 889 Goals
    R: L. Darcy - M. Boyd - T. Liberatore ——— 678 Games*, 326 Goals*
    Int: (1) W. Minson - (2) R. Hargrave - (3) R. Griffen ——— 596 Games, 280 Goals
    Int: (4) J. Macrae - (5) L. Picken - (6) Vacant ——— 369 Games*, 126 Goals*

Coach: Luke Beveridge: 139 H&A Games, 80 wins/59 losses (57.6%), 7 Finals Games for 4 wins/3 losses (57.1%), 1 X Premiership

Captain: Robert Murphy (41 Games Club Captain, 2015-2017)
    Vice Captain: Chris Grant (67 Games Club Captain, 2001-2004)

Full TOTC Squad:

Eligible For Nomination, Having Met 100 Games Threshold: J. Johannisen, L. Hunter, C. Daniel & M. Wallis

Made Team, But Demoted Later:
    Missed Team: D. Cross - J. Roughead - M. Hahn - M. Robbins - S. Higgins - L. Dahlhaus - J. McMahon

———

Our TOTC Stats & Details:

Games: 5,073* (Average 230 games, for the 22 Players - Still 2 Vacancies & 4 Players Still Playing)
    Goals: 3,584* (Still 2 Vacancies)
    Best & Fairest Wins: 19
    All Australian Selections: 22
    All Australian Captain Selections: 2
    Club Captains: 8 of 8
    Brownlow Medalist: 1
    300+ Game Players: 5
    Premiership Players: 8
    AFL Hall of Fame: 3
    Club Legends: 1
    Club Hall of Fame: 3
    1900-1999 TOTC Players: 3 (C. Grant, S. West & B. Johnson)
    Father/Sons Across Both TOTC: 1 (Tony & Tom Liberatore)

Note: Stats current to Round 12, 2021
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 29-09-2021 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Updated Captain, Various Awards

14. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The annual (except last year) bye round TOTC nomination period is now open. Only four players are left, all highly decorated, are eligible for nomination. They are: J. Johannisen, L. Hunter, C. Daniel & M. Wallis.

If there are no nominations then the below team sheet will be the WOOF TOTC until next year. If there are nomination/s (per the nomination format) then we will work on including them in the team.

Current:

Team Of The Century - 22 Years of 100 Years

B: R. Murphy (c) - B. Lake - D. Morris ——— 734 Games, 216 Goals
    HB: R. Smith - E. Wood - L. Gilbee ——— 686 Games*, 392 Goals*
    C: N. Eagleton - S. West - M. Bontempelli ——— 702 Games*, 433 Goals*
    HF: T. Dickson - C. Grant (vc) - A. Cooney ——— 679 Games, 921 Goals
    F: B. Johnson - Vacant - D. Giansiracusa ——— 629 Games, 889 Goals
    R: L. Darcy - M. Boyd - T. Liberatore ——— 678 Games*, 326 Goals*
    Int: (1) W. Minson - (2) R. Hargrave - (3) R. Griffen ——— 596 Games, 280 Goals
    Int: (4) J. Macrae - (5) L. Picken - (6) Vacant ——— 369 Games*, 126 Goals*

Coach: Luke Beveridge: 139 H&A Games, 80 wins/59 losses (57.6%), 7 Finals Games for 4 wins/3 losses (57.1%), 1 X Premiership

Captain: Robert Murphy (41 Games Club Captain, 2015-2017)
    Vice Captain: Chris Grant (67 Games Club Captain, 2001-2004)

Full TOTC Squad:

Eligible For Nomination, Having Met 100 Games Threshold: J. Johannisen, L. Hunter, C. Daniel & M. Wallis

Made Team, But Demoted Later:
    Missed Team: D. Cross - J. Roughead - M. Hahn - M. Robbins - S. Higgins - L. Dahlhaus - J. McMahon

———

Our TOTC Stats & Details:

Games: 5,073* (Average 230 games, for the 22 Players - Still 2 Vacancies & 4 Players Still Playing)
    Goals: 3,584* (Still 2 Vacancies & 4 Players Still Playing)

Best & Fairest Wins: 21 - Bontempelli x 4, West x 4, Boyd x 3, Johnson x 2, Griffen x 2, Darcy, Lake, Wood, Daniel, Liberatore, Hunter

All Australian Selections: 32 - Bontempelli x 4, Macrae x 3, West x 4, Johnson x 4, Boyd x 3, Lake x 2, Murphy x 2, Darcy, Smith, Gilbee, Morris, Cooney, Griffen, Minson, Wood, Daniel, Dale

All Australian Captain Selections: 2 - Johnson, Murphy
    Club Captains: 8 of 8 - Grant, Darcy, Johnson, Boyd, Griffen, Murphy, Wood, Bontempelli
    Brownlow Medalist: 1 - Adam Cooney
    300+ Game Players: 5 - Grant, West, Smith, Johnson, Murphy
    Premiership Players: 8 - Picken, Boyd, Bontempelli, Wood, Liberatore, Macrae, Morris, Dickson
    AFLPA Best Captain: 2 - Murphy, Bontempelli
    AFLPA MVP: 2 - Darcy, Bontempelli
    AFL Hall of Fame: 3 - Grant, West, Johnson
    Club Legends: 1 - Chris Grant
    Club Hall of Fame: 3 - Grant, West, Johnson
    1900-1999 TOTC Players: 3 (C. Grant, S. West & B. Johnson)
    Father/Sons Across Both TOTC: 1 (Tony & Tom Liberatore)

Note: Stats current to Round 12, 2021
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 29-09-2021 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added Bont & Jack AA 2021, AFLPA MVP

Post Thanks / Like

Put Caleb Daniel on the bench I reckon. IMO He belongs in the team, I can't think which defender goes out and we can't play him at full forward (even though he's probably find a way to make it work)
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Bont for captain! Controversial?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Put Caleb Daniel on the bench I reckon. IMO He belongs in the team, I can't think which defender goes out and we can't play him at full forward (even though he's probably find a way to make it work)
    See Jazza’s nomination of Tom Liberatore above. That’s the type nomination post needed. Rules are rules. It might take a while though, Caleb has a great CV.