Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rate a game: QF 1999 Dogs v WCE

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    I'll get a copy of the game one day and sit down and watch it.
    No need to watch that game unless you feel the need for some extra pain and frustration.

Awful conditions and an awful game. I could be wrong but I think we only just beat West Coast a few weeks before at Princes Park so we should've been more ready for a tough scrap.

One of those games where we never quite got going, but we were never out of it either. I think we kicked a goal with about 30 seconds remaining and then could've won it in the final passage of play but someone (Alvey? Contessa?) stuffed the kick to Hudson - it bounced a fair bit before him and he wasn't able to do much with it.

Was that Contessa's last game? I think he'd been told he had to do a set number of things to keep his place, and he reckoned he had, but he had but he was dropped anyway and I think then delisted as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    One of those games where we never quite got going, but we were never out of it either. I think we kicked a goal with about 30 seconds remaining and then could've won it in the final passage of play but someone (Alvey? Contessa?) stuffed the kick to Hudson - it bounced a fair bit before him and he wasn't able to do much with it.
    It was Alvey

Palace03 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Banana View Post
    Personally I reckon that 99 as a season we were better positioned coming into the finals than in 97 & 98.

We didnt start the season well, but we came home strong and went into the finals with some good form.

I was gutted after this game as I knew it was going to be an uphill battle to beat Brisbane away the next week, and that we had blown our chance
    Absolutly, we beat West Coast in Round 21 by 2 points and Port by 10 goals in Round 22. We had also belted the Roos in the middle of the year, and lost to Essendon by a kick.

I remember sitting at the game just waiting for it to all click, we were on top everywhere bar the scoreboard. We made alot of mistakes, but I always felt we'd pinch it especially when Billy kicked that late goal to get it back under a goal.

1999 was as much a waste as 97 + 98 were, you could tell that game knocked the stuffing out of us at the Gabba the next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Palace03 View Post
    Absolutly, we beat West Coast in Round 21 by 2 points and Port by 10 goals in Round 22. We had also belted the Roos in the middle of the year, and lost to Essendon by a kick.

I remember sitting at the game just waiting for it to all click, we were on top everywhere bar the scoreboard. We made alot of mistakes, but I always felt we'd pinch it especially when Billy kicked that late goal to get it back under a goal.

1999 was as much a waste as 97 + 98 were, you could tell that game knocked the stuffing out of us at the Gabba the next week.
    Welcome to WOOF Palace03.

Totally agree with the last statement, and strange that most people only think of '97 and '98 in that way.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Welcome to WOOF Palace03.

Totally agree with the last statement, and strange that most people only think of '97 and '98 in that way.
    2000 became a waste as well when we stupidly lost round 22 to Hawthorn after having put ourselves in a decent position with the ripper wins against the Blues, Pies and Dons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    2000 became a waste as well when we stupidly lost round 22 to Hawthorn after having put ourselves in a decent position with the ripper wins against the Blues, Pies and Dons.
    We lost that match because of idiot Wallace. We beat Essendon the week before using a mega-flood and it seemed obvious to me that we would do it again the following week, and we did.

We were a better side than Hawthorn and if we had played a conventional style would have won but Wallace had to show how clever he was.