Thanks Thanks:  73
Likes Likes:  455
Page 61 of 71 FirstFirst ... 115152535455565758596061626364656667686970 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

When the dust had settled on Collingwood's calamitous trade week (and while our brethren were rejoicing in one-upping the juggernaut Pies) I couldn't help but feel like something was not quite right...

Then rumours started to spread that the Pies offload was to clear the decks for a super big name, that they had already teed up, with Petracca and the Bont two names that had been thrown about.

Collingwood stealing Bont (with our unknowing help) is exactly the sort of spongier floor coup that made sense to the cynicism and hopelessness that was cultivated in me from growing up a Centrals, Fitzroy and Footscray fan.

People say that they knew it'd get done. Not me. I was preparing for the worst (losing him over a Ward $20k or one year too short).

Backflips. So good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Too early for comparisons of best ever Bulldog. Let's wait until his career is over. Let's just enjoy the journey while it lasts. I recall having the same thoughts about Grant or Johnson ... they are only 25 ... many years to go. Before you know it, their career is over.

Let's enjoy watching the great man go about his business for a few more years and remember that we are watching absolute greatness. It's a privilege and I want to savor every single moment.
    Completely agree. Have been blessed to watch many great bulldogs, Hardie, Beasley, Royal, Wallis, The Hawk, Grant, McGuinness, Jonno, Smith, West, Darcy, Wynd, Libba Snr, Murphy......The Bont is right up there in the top echelon of BullGods.

Post Thanks / Like

What wonderful news. Bont now in his prime. Well done Sammy Power too. Marcus you are a superstar.

Post Thanks / Like

25 years old and lots of entertaining games ahead. What a joy.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

He has been a transformational player for our club. Not only has he helped us become competitive through his own performances, he has no doubt helped us with player retention (who wants to leave the Kennel with Bont at the helm) and would be a real draw card for bringing in players from other clubs. He's also extremely marketable.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He has been a transformational player for our club. Not only has he helped us become competitive through his own performances, he has no doubt helped us with player retention (who wants to leave the Kennel with Bont at the helm) and would be a real draw card for bringing in players from other clubs. He's also extremely marketable.
    I can think of someone.

7. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember in his interview for the club. It was reported his answer to the question " What's something you regret?" He answered " I was rude to my sister once". Or something of that nature.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    When the dust had settled on Collingwood's calamitous trade week (and while our brethren were rejoicing in one-upping the juggernaut Pies) I couldn't help but feel like something was not quite right...

Then rumours started to spread that the Pies offload was to clear the decks for a super big name, that they had already teed up, with Petracca and the Bont two names that had been thrown about.

Collingwood stealing Bont (with our unknowing help) is exactly the sort of spongier floor coup that made sense to the cynicism and hopelessness that was cultivated in me from growing up a Centrals, Fitzroy and Footscray fan.

People say that they knew it'd get done. Not me. I was preparing for the worst (losing him over a Ward $20k or one year too short).

Backflips. So good.
    I feel you on the conditioned perceived deprecation as a dogs fan. A lot of years of almost nearly.

Done a fair bit of thinking about Ward..... was filthy he left for $50k in contract value but if he didn’t leave we wouldn’t have jack macrae. Given the way the chips fell over those years and what’s ahead, we win.

Now....Melbourne getting 2 priority picks for Scully whilst we got one for a 6 year captain; I’m not over that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

Backflips. So good.
    I certainly have nagging doubts about winning games against poor sides or when we are in a position we are very unlikely to lose from, as is the lot of a Bulldog supporter.

However I never doubted for a second it was anything but a mere formality for the Bont to re-sign.

11. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On 360 tonight.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Do we know what his new contract is worth?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Where does the Hawk rate TD? I was at the G in 86 when he did his knee it was like a wake afterwards.
    He was Bont level revered. Never seen a more gifted footballer.
    Good question. I have Doug in my top 6 with Bont, KT, Grant, Johnson (if he'd been 5 cm taller we wouldn't be having this conversation-he would have been the best) and Libba. Sometimes that top 5 changes and players like Dempsey, West or Royal come in but the top 2 don't change.

Bont owns moments inside games. He wins contests and kicks goals that seal/win games and that's what sets him apart from every other Bulldog player I've seen. If the game is in the balance and a contest needs winning if Marcus is heading for that contest then put down the glasses the game is won. Only other teams have had that player in all the time I've been following the game and that's what makes him the best I've seen.

KT dominated games like no-one and his 1980 season was sublime. But he was fallible and made the odd mistake. He could miss easy goals or give away stupid free kicks. He got upset with teammates who weren't as talented as him and umpires. He was probably more talented than Bont but Bont is the ultimate teammate and match winner. Bont will pick a team up and carry them over he line to a win but Templeton didn't do that. Due to the position he played KT relied on others to make him great and if they let him down then he'd let them know.. Marcus does it all himself and if things aren't going his way he will make them.

Doug was as talented as any player I've seen but he probably wasn't as vigilant in his preparation as others and that is the difference between him and the truly great players. Doug would fire up in big games, his finals in 1985 were as good as I've seen. Maybe if he'd played with Essendon or Hawthorn in the mid to late '80s we would have seen an even better version of him but from a selfish POV I'm so glad we saw him play 17 of his 18 season in the tricolour. In a way i loved Doug more than I loved any other player I saw. He was a bit like the naughty, cheeky kid you let get away with stuff you wouldn't countenance from other kids.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

15. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes josie, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thing to re-sign.
    Wants to influence things over the time.
    It was never in doubt. Didn’t want to even hear offers from his manager, if they came in. Stated didn’t know anything about other clubs.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that Marcus re-signing finally shamed me into resigning too. I know its late, but as a country resident I don't get to very many games. Thanks Marcus, looking forward to remaining officially on board again.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I guess that Marcus re-signing finally shamed me into resigning too. I know its late, but as a country resident I don't get to very many games. Thanks Marcus, looking forward to remaining officially on board again.
    Well done J54
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.