Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  460
Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1757585960616263646566676869707172 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1075
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    It worries me that we used pick 4 on someone we rate as a development player. Hoping that he makes us look smart in 10 years time.
    This was my only early post. I didn't watch any U18's so couldn't comment on him as a player.

I guess you could say he made us look smart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The years fly by pretty quickly.

Hard to believe Bont has been on our list for 8 years!
    Hard to believe many of us have been on this forum for 14-15 years!

What a bastion for sensibility this place is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    But it is what kids actually do.

16 - 19 year old boys go through huge physical development, often in a very short time frame individually.

It seemed that Dalrymple really favoured those kids and often we were drafting the younger of those eligible.

Bont, Naughton, Bailey Smith all fit that category plus Bailey Williams, JJ and also Lewis Young
    He placed a LOT of focus on the way players demonstrated what they learned at the champs when they returned to the 18's in late July and how they improved at the end of the year.

Believed that whilst the step-up in pressure/intensity didn't always IMMEDIATELY lead to improvement, the 'very best' kids would absorb the lessons and apply them...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It's pretty amazing that a kid can improve that much, that quickly.
    Clayton Oliver didn't even make the squad for champs but improved so much in the back half of the year he went at pick 4.
    Going back further, Callan Ward came from nowhere and was drafted on his rate of improvement.

It looks like Sam Darcy is following that trend, although one draft watcher still thinks he projects best as a KPD at AFL level as he just doesn't quite get separation that other KPFs do.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Clayton Oliver didn't even make the squad for champs but improved so much in the back half of the year he went at pick 4.
    Going back further, Callan Ward came from nowhere and was drafted on his rate of improvement.

It looks like Sam Darcy is following that trend, although one draft watcher still thinks he projects best as a KPD at AFL level as he just doesn't quite get separation that other KPFs do.
    Yeah, it can happen but very, very rare to the extent Bont exploded and then went on with it. I would love to have seen the reaction if you told mjp after the champs that Bont may actually go down as the greatest Bulldog EVER.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I've mentioned this before - but in 2014 I was at a Presidents dinner where an injured Matthew Boyd was being interviewed and described Bont as the 'most talented player he has seen walk into the club'. I think Bont may have only played 2-3 games at the time and it was definitely before the Melbourne match winner game.

8. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I think I've mentioned this before - but in 2014 I was at a Presidents dinner where an injured Matthew Boyd was being interviewed and described Bont as the 'most talented player he has seen walk into the club'. I think Bont may have only played 2-3 games at the time and it was definitely before the Melbourne match winner game.
    McCarthy was very effusive about Macrae being an absolute gun from day dot - but was pretty much on the 'Bont will be better' bandwagon as soon as Marcus walked into the club.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I was at that dinner and remember him saying that.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    But it is what kids actually do.

16 - 19 year old boys go through huge physical development, often in a very short time frame individually.

It seemed that Dalrymple really favoured those kids and often we were drafting the younger of those eligible.

Bont, Naughton, Bailey Smith all fit that category plus Bailey Williams, JJ and also Lewis Young

I used to walk into work and regularly pass Brendan Mccartney. I'd wear dogs tops and eventually said hi, thanked him for his contribution. We spoke pretty regularly for a few months and I would ask everything i could about the inner sanctum. He certainly wasnt shy sharing his views on players and in particular Peter Gordon.

Anyway - Bont came up one day and he told me that Dalrymple was resolute on Aish; BMac had to put his foot down and force Bont through. Said when he went out to watch him play juniors he was the best player he'd seen "since watching Gaz as a junior with Bomber Thompson"

Least that's the way he told it. twice.
    The dam wall has busted!

12. Likes 1eyedog, Ghost Dog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Anyway - Bont came up one day and he told me that Dalrymple was resolute on Aish; BMac had to put his foot down and force Bont through. Said when he went out to watch him play juniors he was the best player he'd seen "since watching Gaz as a junior with Bomber Thompson"

Least that's the way he told it. twice.
    Lmao of course he was.

I don’t doubt that he told you this. I just doubt that it, you know, happened.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes bulldogtragic, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Lmao of course he was.

He does pump his own tyres.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He does pump his own tyres.
    Someone has to. I don’t know anyone who would.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Lmao of course he was.

I'm not the only one then?

Post Thanks / Like

You may have heard about the 2016 premiership, but I bet you haven’t heard about all of the players one by one ringing B-Mac in the rooms immediately after the game to tell him that he’s the best coach any of them ever played for and that he was responsible for the flag and that he’s also a very cool and handsome guy.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You may have heard about the 2016 premiership, but I bet you haven’t heard about all of the players one by one ringing B-Mac in the rooms immediately after the game to tell him that he’s the best coach any of them ever played for and that he was responsible for the flag and that he’s also a very cool and handsome guy.
    It's that school teacher coolness he has going for him.