Thanks Thanks:  73
Likes Likes:  455
Page 1 of 71 123456789101151 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Marcus Bontempelli

Marcus Bontempelli is a potentially intriguing selection tonight at the draft.

193cm tall, a strong spring in his legs, a thumping kick and with a great endurance base puts him right in the mix. His potential to play a variety of positions also appeals. I think he is right on our radar.

How do you rate his chances of becoming a Western Bulldog tonight?
    What position do you see him playing at the senior level?

Are you excited of his potential selection? Do you have any concerns?

I'd be very interested in your thoughts.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

Watched both Aish (SANFL GF) and Bonts (Vm vs Vc) again last night just refresh on both, so funny that they were the first two you put up.

Down the track I like the dynamic talent and positional ability of Bonts. Both are going to be three years players in terms of having a regular impact so I don't see them being walk-ups in our side.

Shame I didn't get to see Bonts in the later part of the season as that's where he apparently really started to shine.

In the Metro games he had little impact, but I think this was more to do with his relatively young age compared to the other guns in the sides.

My immediate impression though, with his size, build and some of the things he did was of Pendlebury - likewise those others who've also commented as such.

He'll take time, many areas to improve and build up, but I don't see him as a very high pick with questions over his ability now and in the future like a Williams or Howard.

He's what we need in teems of height, smarts and match up problems in the future.

Happy to have him.

Post Thanks / Like

I would draft Sharenberg. Simple as that. Perfect fit for us in the backline and can swing forward and have a solid impact.

People have asked where Sharenberg ends up - see above. I don't care about the midfield its utterly irrelevant.

For the Bont the reverse is true. 6'6 midfielder who will need to stack on weight to match it physically with AFL players and is already bottom 10/20 percent for lead out speed per his testing if you buy into that result which I'm always 50:50 on.

I can only see him as a long leading half-forward flanker maybe or of a half-back flank.?? Maybe he becomes a KPP but that's not even what we are supposed to be drafting him for.

I hope he makes it. I just see this as a draft that will be re-ordered in 5 years and will read Boyd/Sharenberg/Billings ggaaaaaaaapppp the rest and we will want to kick someone in the goolies.

Having said that I will get behind the kid. Not his fault where he gets taken. I am unenthused by the decision for now. Confident he has a chance to add some value but that's a cruddy outcome for pick 4.

Still wish we had traded 4 to GWS for a player and pick 10 in the draft though.

Post Thanks / Like

couldn't agree more with SD, Scharenburg for me is exactly what we need. We havent had a back half general since Gilbee retired.

Modern footy is all about that first kick out of half back and we really don't have anyone who nails it right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Was reportedly superb in the second half of the season, had a 50 possie 10 goal game in school footy

Have heard some recruiters talk about him as potentially the 2nd best player in the draft

However, very young, only a year off being able to run around again in TAC cup, and he is a very tall midfielder

Wing, half back would appear to be his best starting point

It would be a bold starting point. He's not the guy I'd pick at 4 but if we had two top 10's a la Collingwood then I'd completely support one of them being spent on Bonto

Post Thanks / Like

Scharenberg is a much safer option than Bontempelli and should be selected on that basis. Bomtempelli may end up a better player but we won't be disappointed with Scharenberg and their is more risk with Bontempelli.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Have heard some recruiters talk about him as potentially the 2nd best player in the draft
    Yup - but some have said the same about the Berg, Aish & Billings - all under consideration for our selection.

Bonts is an interesting one - clearly behind the others on performance, but seems to be improving at a more rapid rate.

Arguably we have the most difficult selection in the top ten (although Brisbane at 7 have a fair bit to think about).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I rate Bontempelli pretty highly particularly on the back of the physical package he offers.

I'm just not quite convinced on him at pick number 4 because I think there are perhaps a few small queries over where he'll end up playing his best footy as an AFL player and whether he will be someone who lacks a bit of pace and agility to play in the midfield, but isn't quite big or strong enough to play as a genuine key position player.

His kicking is good, he's a great endurance athlete and has shown he can impact games.

At his size, if he can develop into a midfielder who can rest forward he could become a very good long term player, but I just think he's a little less certain than some of the other options available to become a 200+ gamer - he could easily get there and be one of the best, but there's a little more working against him than I think there is for some of the others who should go in our range.

As far as need goes, I guess that depends how a few others develop too. There is talk of Crameri spending some time as a big bodied midfielder. Stringer has long been touted as someone who will eventually develop his game so that he spends some minutes in the middle too. Are these guys going to be enough to fill that sort of role that Bontempelli potentially could?

Again, we'll know more soon but I'm ever so slightly more sold on Aish, Billings and Scharenberg for both our need and certainty.

Post Thanks / Like

If it came down to Bonts or Aish I'd be inclined to go with Aish. Tall midfielders are an asset in today's game, as is kicking, and Bonts has both those assets. My concern is he has no burst speed to begin with, and after putting on the 10+kgs he'll need to compete at AFL level, there's a danger he'll be positively lumbering.

I've seen quite a bit of David Myers at Essendon, who was a very similar proposition when drafted, and he moves like a ruckman these days. Personally I prefer to look at what a player can do now, not project what he might become after years of trying to develop their shortcomings. The word "upside" can be a very dangerous thing.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    My concern is he has no burst speed to begin with, and after putting on the 10+kgs he'll need to compete at AFL level, there's a danger he'll be positively lumbering.
    This is also my concern with him and why I wouldn't pick him at number 4.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    If it came down to Bonts or Aish I'd be inclined to go with Aish. Tall midfielders are an asset in today's game, as is kicking, and Bonts has both those assets. My concern is he has no burst speed to begin with, and after putting on the 10+kgs he'll need to compete at AFL level, there's a danger he'll be positively lumbering.

I've seen quite a bit of David Myers at Essendon, who was a very similar proposition when drafted, and he moves like a ruckman these days. Personally I prefer to look at what a player can do now, not project what he might become after years of trying to develop their shortcomings. The word "upside" can be a very dangerous thing.
    Myers is a fair comparison - he was a high draft pick that crept up the order (6 from memory), he is a thumping kick and he is a big size for a mid. And despite these physical attributes, the reality is that Myers is a complete and utter potato as a footballer. Terrible decision-maker, slower than a wet week and a fumbler extraordinaire.

From what I've read on Bonts to be fair to him though, is that has much cleaner hands in tight and elite decision-making and elite handballing compared to someone like Myers - the Kouta comparison seems to be a more accurate one for him. His main issue appears to be not doing enough good things often enough in actual games and between games (a definite Kouta problem early in his career). His pace off the mark is also a concern - no amount of physical attributes will assist when you are caught with the ball or beaten to the ball in a foot race - but Kouta wasn't extremely quick off the mark either and then became a slow, contested ball-winning animal after his knee setbacks.

Dalrymple and his team live and breath these players every day and it is their job - we simply need to trust them to make the best decision for the betterment of the club. He flopped big time reaching for Howard but his subsequent reach selections early on have been very promising - Clay Smith went earlier than expected, Stringer definitely did and even Macrae moved up a few places on expectation. All these guys have shown genuine talent and justification for their high selections. If Dalrymple and co genuinely believe Bonts is the best long-term selection available at pick 4, they should pull the trigger.

12. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Myers is a fair comparison - he was a high draft pick that crept up the order (6 from memory), he is a thumping kick and he is a big size for a mid. And despite these physical attributes, the reality is that Myers is a complete and utter potato as a footballer. Terrible decision-maker, slower than a wet week and a fumbler extraordinaire.

From what I've read on Bonts to be fair to him though, is that has much cleaner hands in tight and elite decision-making and elite handballing compared to someone like Myers - the Kouta comparison seems to be a more accurate one for him. His main issue appears to be not doing enough good things often enough in actual games and between games (a definite Kouta problem early in his career). His pace off the mark is also a concern - no amount of physical attributes will assist when you are caught with the ball or beaten to the ball in a foot race - but Kouta wasn't extremely quick off the mark either and then became a slow, contested ball-winning animal after his knee setbacks.

Dalrymple and his team live and breath these players every day and it is their job - we simply need to trust them to make the best decision for the betterment of the club. He flopped big time reaching for Howard but his subsequent reach selections early on have been very promising - Clay Smith went earlier than expected, Stringer definitely did and even Macrae moved up a few places on expectation. All these guys have shown genuine talent and justification for their high selections. If Dalrymple and co genuinely believe Bonts is the best long-term selection available at pick 4, they should pull the trigger.
    Perfectly put Sedat - I wish we had a 'like' button for this post.

14. Likes Twodogs, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Good post Sedat, I think we're pretty much on the same page.

Just on the highlighted part, from memory they weren't concerns on Myers' game as a junior either, but when the game moves faster than you can cope with ball handling and decision making tend to be the first things that fall away.

If we think he's the best option I'm happy to support it. Since McCartney arrived I think we've hit the mark extremely well at the draft table, despite taking some players earlier than some expected.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be disappointed if we land Bontempelli with our pick 4 and happy to back Dalrymple's judgment given that this is what he is paid to deliver on. With that said, if St Kilda happen to pass on Billings I would prefer we jump on Jack. My personal preference is Billings, then Aish who would seem to be more known / consistent commodities to add much needed quality ball use and movement to our list.

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping that the Saints leave Billings for us - a victorian with shades of StieveJ and Wingard? Exactly what we want.