Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  460
Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Why not start him off down back? He'd be really handy as a defender.
    Personally Id rather seem him honing his midfield craft in the VFL than on a flank in the AFL.

Be good to head down to whiten oval and watch guys like Bonts, Prudden, Tutt, Honeychurch and Darley all plugging away in the same midfield.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not start him off down back? He'd be really handy as a defender.
    l wonder about his ability to cover opposition forwards on the lead. Everyone says his greatest weakness is his pace off the mark. Play him in the middle or perhaps on the wing where he can run into space up and down the ground.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Whats a realistic expectation on senior games for Bontempelli?

Would 6 to 8 be around the expectation?
    Personally, I'm not worried if he doesn't debut at all - he's a few days off from being a bottom-ager anyway.

I'm making the assumption that a 192-194cm player will take longer (he'll make a mockery of me now).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Being a younger player, like Hunter was last year, Bonts may well follow a similar path - where he debuts towards the second half of the season and is given a taste in a few games. It may depending on how we are positioned, and how his body holds up to his first full time footy year.

Post Thanks / Like

It worries me that we used pick 4 on someone we rate as a development player. Hoping that he makes us look smart in 10 years time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Personally, I'm not worried if he doesn't debut at all - he's a few days off from being a bottom-ager anyway.

I'm making the assumption that a 192-194cm player will take longer (he'll make a mockery of me now).
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Being a younger player, like Hunter was last year, Bonts may well follow a similar path - where he debuts towards the second half of the season and is given a taste in a few games. It may depending on how we are positioned, and how his body holds up to his first full time footy year.
    Excellent point. If he is ready for some senior games in the 2nd half of the season then great. We don't need to rush him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I'm bullish about MB is that normally development players are athletes first and footballers second. He is both IMO, just watch his natural instinct inside a pack and decision making ability around the ball it screams footballer and add that to his height and endurance we have one very exciting package on our hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    The reason I'm bullish about MB is that normally development players are athletes first and footballers second. He is both IMO, just watch his natural instinct inside a pack and decision making ability around the ball it screams footballer and add that to his height and endurance we have one very exciting package on our hands.
    Has he displayed enough to get a big tick as an athlete? Decent spring in his legs and good endurance probably can't be disputed but his running times at the combine weren't that impressive.

His a footballer but I'd question the athlete part. He does have an upside in both.

Kade Kolodjashnij would rate as a footballer/athlete.

Post Thanks / Like

Has he displayed enough to get a big tick as an athlete? Decent spring in his legs and good endurance probably can't be disputed but his running times at the combine weren't that impressive.

His a footballer but I'd question the athlete part. He does have an upside in both.

Kade Kolodjashnij would rate as a footballer/athlete.
    You don't need to be fast to be an athlete though. Really, they're all athletes today to some degree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    You don't need to be fast to be an athlete though. Really, they're all athletes today to some degree.
    You need a combination of a few physical skills though to be considered a top line athlete. He has endurance and a reasonable (not top 30%) type leaping ability but in the running he is below average.
    5, 10 and 20mtrs sprints were in the botton 20%. In the agility test and the repeat sprints he was about middle of the road in the recorded times.
    Compared to Kolodjashnij I can't see how we could say he is a blend of footballer meets athlete.

He has plenty of upside but we should be regarding him as a footballer not as an athlete/footballer.

Post Thanks / Like

You need a combination of a few physical skills though to be considered a top line athlete. He has endurance and a reasonable (not top 30%) type leaping ability but in the running he is below average.
    5, 10 and 20mtrs sprints were in the botton 20%. In the agility test and the repeat sprints he was about middle of the road in the recorded times.
    Compared to Kolodjashnij I can't see how we could say he is a blend of footballer meets athlete.

He has plenty of upside but we should be regarding him as a footballer not as an athlete/footballer.
    Although I agree, his agility testing isn't a true reflection of his actual agility in a game. Definitely a footballer first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Although I agree, his agility testing isn't a true reflection of his actual agility in a game. Definitely a footballer first.
    The vision of him in action in tight situations shows he has great awareness of what is around him. When coupled with decent agility he is able to navigate his way through the play with some ease.

Being able to run around witches hats quickly is nice, knowing where players are stationed around you is better.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at blokes like Williams at Carlton and our own Doug Hawkins. Both weren't super athletes but wow Doug I saw balk two players in a night game at the end if his career by taking just two steps, a natural all class footballer doesn't need too much energy or stamina when they are that classy it just happens .
    Couldn't give a hoot about these draft camps, load of rubbish if the bloke has exceptional footy smarts it will beat athletes every time
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Easton Wood is a case in point. A super athlete, but is only now starting to make better decisions when he tries to break the lines.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Easton Wood is a case in point. A super athlete, but is only now starting to make better decisions when he tries to break the lines.
    Jesse Wells was one of the greatest of athletes for his size of all time, pity he was no good at football.