Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  460
Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

Quote Originally Posted by James Cuming View Post
    Bonts has some early attributes similar to those of TGM when about the same age.
    Originally a mid-fielder, reasonable pace, tall and still growing and a good mark.

Hopefully he will develop into a new Chris Grant. Wouldn't that be nice. Oh yes. His first year will tell.

On another topic it seems as though rapid and/or spectacular development is a criteria for recruiting a player. Why is this so?
    You don't develop Chris Grants, Bont's will either have it or not.
    After Chris Grants first game we new we had someone special, after the first season we new we had unearthed a great.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    His decision making ability needs to be improved dramatically.

Currently I rate Howard and Stevens as the weakest links.
    Really?

Stevens has his faults, but comparing him in line with Howard as our weakest link? That's ridiculous. I could name about 10 other "weaker" links starting with Tutt and Cordy.

People forget that Stevens is still young and hasn't played much football prior to 2013.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Really?

Stevens has his faults, but comparing him in line with Howard as our weakest link? That's ridiculous. I could name about 10 other "weaker" links starting with Tutt and Cordy.

People forget that Stevens is still young and hasn't played much football prior to 2013.
    Agree totally. I've got concerns about Stevens, but I have absolutely no faith in Cordy or Howard.

Post Thanks / Like

Stevens does need to improve both his disposal effectiveness and decision making although he's far from alone in this particular territory for us to progress further e.g Boyd, Picken, Goodes, Wood, Smith, Howard, Tutt and dare I say it even Bob could lift here etc. Hopefully being more familiar and settled with our developing game plan might help assist this in 2014. He does bring a ferocity to the contest and does often present when required. He did at times battle valiantly with injury, possibly underconditioned, which effected his contribution. He is still young and with further development into him I'm still hopeful that he can consolidate a position within our Top 22. I don't see him as one of our 2 weakest links at the relatively early stage he is at in his development given the limited opportunities he had at the West Coast. We need also factor in the positive qualities that we have seen him bring to the list and work on addressing his specific disposal and decision making deficiencies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Have you travelled into the future to determine this?
    I said already. If I'm a teammate near one of them, I pick Marcus to be it, now, on this factor.

Again, not potting or slagging Koby, it's like comparing grain fed of grass feed beef.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    We still have a long way to go when comparing the players you have mentioned with the quality of the 9 left footers that were in the Hawthorn finals line up.
    I wasn't.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Stevens does need to improve both his disposal effectiveness and decision making although he's far from alone in this particular territory for us to progress further e.g Boyd, Picken, Goodes, Wood, Smith, Howard, Tutt and dare I say it even Bob could lift here etc. Hopefully being more familiar and settled with our developing game plan might help assist this in 2014. He does bring a ferocity to the contest and does often present when required. He did at times battle valiantly with injury, possibly underconditioned, which effected his contribution. He is still young and with further development into him I'm still hopeful that he can consolidate a position within our Top 22. I don't see him as one of our 2 weakest links at the relatively early stage he is at in his development given the limited opportunities he had at the West Coast. We need also factor in the positive qualities that we have seen him bring to the list and work on addressing his specific disposal and decision making deficiencies.
    Stevens has some very positive attributes, but unfortunately clean ball-handling isn't one of them. He isn't in the Djerkurra class of fumbling but he's not great in this area, which is what invariably gets him into trouble and makes him rush his disposals/decision making. If he was cleaner with his hands, I have no doubt he would improve his disposal efficiency and decision-making accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Stevens has some very positive attributes, but unfortunately clean ball-handling isn't one of them. He isn't in the Djerkurra class of fumbling but he's not great in this area, which is what invariably gets him into trouble and makes him rush his disposals/decision making. If he was cleaner with his hands, I have no doubt he would improve his disposal efficiency and decision-making accordingly.
    Djekurra! I haven't thought of him in a while. Remember being part-horrified and part in stitches at the circle work he used to do in our backline.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I said already. If I'm a teammate near one of them, I pick Marcus to be it, now, on this factor.

Again, not potting or slagging Koby, it's like comparing grain fed of grass feed beef.
    Personally I think a more accurate live stock analogy would be a thoroughbred with a couple of City placings and a few disappointing runs versus the off spring of a champion that's completely untested. The untested might become a star, but could also be a long way off the level required and never go anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Personally I think a more accurate live stock analogy would be a thoroughbred with a couple of City placings and a few disappointing runs versus the off spring of a champion that's completely untested. The untested might become a star, but could also be a long way off the level required and never go anywhere.
    True, I was thinking food

What would happen if they were both at the yearling sales this year?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Video of Marcus in a goalkicking comp vs Daicos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VoEooAi__8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Really?

Ok add Cordy and Tutt
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    There is always a risk in recruiting borderline players from other clubs. In recent years we have had far more success with rookie listed players. Stevens is simply one of a number of listed players that need to show rapid improvement, these include Wood Howard Tutt Pearce and Cordy.

Post Thanks / Like

I know very little about these kids but would you call him a damaging kick or a neat one? I the we have quite a few neat disposers of the footy who hit the safe option, guys like Libba, Macrae, Hrovat, Wallis, Griffen even Stringer when he works up onto the wings but no genuine laser boots through the middle. Cooney is noticeable in how good his disposal is when he gets it in open space. I would've liked KK just based on his draft video because his left foot looks a 55 metre weapon, would be great to have something like that on the wing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Completely appreciate where you're coming from. I'm just not prepared to make the types of statements you have at this point in MB's career.

I'll comment on his composure and ball handling at league level when I've seen him handle the ball and work through situations at league level.

With KS, I know handling and decision making aren't his strengths but he gets the opportunity to show me they aren't, and he allows me to balance them with the attributes of his that are.