Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  460
Page 20 of 72 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

Pies went up the draft order with Bonts in their sights.
    They were rumoured to be heavily into him.
    I wouldn't be writing off scharenberg off just yet.
    Last edited by Remi Moses; 15-07-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Typing error

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's exceeded every expectation for his first year already.

Would be great if he won the RS, if he finishes the season well he's a shoe in.

Post Thanks / Like

With Kolodjashnij doing his hammy and Langdon dropping right off the pace the last 5 weeks Bonts just needs to stay on the park to win the award.

Melbourne were also heavily considering taking him pick 2. Thankfully they used it in the Tyson trade!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Wins a game, kicks the winning goal, which could possibly be goal of the year. A couple of weeks later takes a mark with one hand that no one has ever seen like that before while holding off a player with other arm , goes back and takes marks in defence, averages around 20 possessions a game, all this from an 18yo with what would be half a pre season, seriously has anyone seen this kind of player before in his first year ?
    Libba Snr, in terms of immediate impact.

Post Thanks / Like

Wins a game, kicks the winning goal, which could possibly be goal of the year. A couple of weeks later takes a mark with one hand that no one has ever seen like that before while holding off a player with other arm , goes back and takes marks in defence, averages around 20 possessions a game, all this from an 18yo with what would be half a pre season, seriously has anyone seen this kind of player before in his first year ?

Brian Royal won the B&F and played for Victoria in his first year.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Libba and royal weren't 18 years of age doing miraculous things
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    If the bont was available at their pick the pies would have taken him.
    I'm led to believe that they wanted to get him with pick 10 and inflated his value in the hope that the Dogs would take someone else (presumably Aish) and that he'd then slide to pick 10. They apparently always wanted Sharenberg with pick 6.

I love the Bont but let's not get too hasty in discarding all the other top 10 selections. There needs to be 3-4 years before any such comparisons can be accurately measured. What I do love about Bont is his propensity for continued improvement and the sheer level of comfort he has shown at this level. He played key forward for most of the 2nd half against a very good key defender in Rory Thompson on Saturday night and acquitted himself extremely well - was not outmarked once and managed to halve every aerial duel. His ceiling looks limitless.

Post Thanks / Like

Libba and royal weren't 18 years of age doing miraculous things
    Chris Grant was exceptional in his first year.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm led to believe that they wanted to get him with pick 10 and inflated his value in the hope that the Dogs would take someone else (presumably Aish) and that he'd then slide to pick 10. They apparently always wanted Sharenberg with pick 6.

I love the Bont but let's not get too hasty in discarding all the other top 10 selections. There needs to be 3-4 years before any such comparisons can be accurately measured. What I do love about Bont is his propensity for continued improvement and the sheer level of comfort he has shown at this level. He played key forward for most of the 2nd half against a very good key defender in Rory Thompson on Saturday night and acquitted himself extremely well - was not outmarked once and managed to halve every aerial duel. His ceiling looks limitless.
    Yes I noticed that too. That nice lead and goal in the third quarter was very impressive when playing key forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Chris Grant was exceptional in his first year.
    And he was 17 years old too.

Post Thanks / Like

Admittedly there are a few games left to play but for mine Bontempelli's first year doesn't stack up to some others in terms of output. He's shown a heap of promise and done some amazing things whilst being a key contributor, but only in the latter half of the season really. His season seems more comparable to Griffen's first year.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

He's debuted - he's ahead of the bell curve for 18 year olds.

The fact that a ~192cm kid in his first year has basically stamped himself in the best 22 is a minor miracle and to be honest if his season ended tomorrow I'm over the moon with his output. Everything else (i.e. goal of the year) is just pure icing.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yes I noticed that too. That nice lead and goal in the third quarter was very impressive when playing key forward.
    Everyone is ready to anoint guys like Cotchin and Ablett as guys who could play full time forward and kick a bunch of goals but Bont actually plays like a forward when put there (leading, leading again), and his size forces an actual defender onto him, not an outmatched midfielder. The passage we're speaking of looked fantastic and is not in isolation (he's played one out against guys like Frost and Garland and looked awesome).

Everything else he's shown this year has been exceptional, but could be conceptualised based on the wraps on him coming into the season. I did not see this versatility inside forward 50 coming.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The fact that a ~192cm kid in his first year has basically stamped himself in the best 22 is a minor miracle
    195. He's taller than Redpath
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

He's six inches taller than John Nicholls.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.