Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  460
Page 39 of 72 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Reckon there is an element of this but it is moreso the players from interstate that suffer more - no better example of this than Pav.

I reckon this issue talks more to the short attention spans of the media and how they are always focused on what is coming up next instead of appreciating what is happening now. And as AR points out, Derm enjoys making deliberately massive statements so that he can feed his ego if they come to fruition. I will say I'm probably 2nd in line on the Curnow bandwagon behind Derm - I rate him massively. But I wouldn't trade anything or anyone for the Bont, and he will get better and better. He is a generational talent that we will get the pleasure of witnessing in our colours for another 12+ years.
    Definitely agree re Pav. If there was ever any single player I wanted to have at the Dogs to complete the 2009-2010 puzzle it was him.

I wouldn't trade anyone for the Bont either.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The best players I've seen are EJ, KT and the Bont.the Bont is better than the other two and Curnow, while he is playing well at the moment, isn't fit to be in the same room. All those blokes are better and more versatile than Curnow. Curnow doesn't own moment after moment inside games.
    Curnow is a future's market. He wouldn't be in the top 100 in the comp in 2017.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Think next generation Kouta - can play anywhere, has a massive tank and can clunk them up forward.
    Damn.

I like Dunks and all, but we really should have just drafted Curnow.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Damn.

If Collins comes good and becomes an integral part of our backline for the next 10 years, it's still a good outcome for us. Dunks is a fantastic young player - we've really missed his versatility, footy smarts and competitiveness this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn.

We really should've drafted Ben Brown instead of Matt Fuller

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post

Absolutely we should have.

But if your Aunty was your uncle...
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

The Doctor (woof poster) was pushing him back then.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If Collins comes good and becomes an integral part of our backline for the next 10 years, it's still a good outcome for us. Dunks is a fantastic young player - we've really missed his versatility, footy smarts and competitiveness this season.
    I agree to an extent, but I absolutely hate trading down in the draft. The closer to the top end of the draft gives a greater chance to get the necessary heavy artillery in for sustained success, and this to me just illustrates it. Smacks of having your cake and eating it to.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I agree to an extent, but I absolutely hate trading down in the draft. The closer to the top end of the draft gives a greater chance to get the necessary heavy artillery in for sustained success, and this to me just illustrates it. Smacks of having your cake and eating it to.
    I wonder who we would have picked?

It's all in the past.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it great arguing about whether some kid is going to catch up and overtake the Bont as the greatest player of his generation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Isn't it great arguing about whether some kid is going to catch up and overtake the Bont as the greatest player of his generation?
    I was very bemused by media commentary this season now talking up Jack Billings value against Marcus because he's now had a solid season.

If and only when Jack might ever be afforded 3 opposition players hanging off him at every turn of a match, whilst still bringing sublime work in tight and outside stoppages and then slicing the opposition with long pin point passes, to then being being swung into the ruck to provide a chop out, to then going forward to take clutch contested marks and goals from the 50 should any type of comparison conversation ever be had. Jack's a fair player but he will never sit in Marcus's rarefied air.
    Last edited by Doc26; 31-07-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You are basing this on the hypothetical of Curnow improving a heap. Relax

Post Thanks / Like

I was very bemused by media commentary this season now talking up Jack Billings value against Marcus because he's now had a solid season.

If and only when Jack might every be afforded 3 opposition players hanging off him at every turn of a match, whilst still bringing sublime work in tight and outside stoppages and then slicing the opposition with long pin point passes, to then being being swung into the ruck to provide a chop out, to then going forward to take clutch contested marks and goals from the 50 should any type of comparison conversation ever be had. Jack's a fair player but he will never sit in Marcus's rarefied air.

And premiership Medallians. Jack and Marcus can compare their premiership medals. Oh, hang on that's right. Jack doesn't have a premiership Medallian.

14. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon Daniher, Buddy, Danger, WCE Kennedy and Bonti are all breathtakingly good. Dusty not bad either. Have not seen enough of Curnow. Bonti hardly ever puts in a quiet day and his versatility is amazing. If offered Daniher as a swap he is about the only one I'd hesitate, with my response still 'Nah, Bonti's ours'.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved Billings' insipid effort in meekly 'trying' to stop Robbie Gray in that last play on Saturday night. He is little more than a nice outside finisher - dime a dozen.