Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  460
Page 40 of 72 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Loved Billings' insipid effort in meekly 'trying' to stop Robbie Gray in that last play on Saturday night. He is little more than a nice outside finisher - dime a dozen.
    How true. It had to be Jack's responsibility to sit in that gaping hole where Ryder feathered it down to. Richo must've lost it with him in that moment.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Billings type are very difficult to find. Just because he hasn't set the world on fire at the age of 21 it doesn't mean he isn't a special talent.

He's got areas to improve upon such as his defencive game, but he's not a dime a dozen player.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I reckon Daniher, Buddy, Danger, WCE Kennedy and Bonti are all breathtakingly good. Dusty not bad either. Have not seen enough of Curnow. Bonti hardly ever puts in a quiet day and his versatility is amazing. If offered Daniher as a swap he is about the only one I'd hesitate, with my response still 'Nah, Bonti's ours'.
    You had me worried there Josie.

The Bont is such a quality person too. I'm always so proud to hear him speak. Joe D is from all accounts a genuinely nice guy. But Bont is in our Bulldog folklore now. That spine tingling memory of him charging into that goal in the PF will live forever.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    You had me worried there Josie.

The Bont is such a quality person too. I'm always so proud to hear him speak. Joe D is from all accounts a genuinely nice guy. But Bont is in our Bulldog folklore now. That spine tingling memory of him charging into that goal in the PF will live forever.
    I think the photo of him holding up the cup in front of the crowd will move into the EJ Whitten iconic kicking action photo in the future.

Fox footy had a discussion on Bont or Daniher who would you take? Without hesitation Brownie said "The Bont"
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Daniher is an outstanding full forward, but if they're getting beaten in the midfield there is only so much he can do.

If we are getting beaten in the midfield, Bont will step in.
    If we are winning the midfield battle but not converting, Bont will go forward and invent a goal.
    If we are lacking a ruckman, he will go in the ruck.
    He even took a massive contested defensive grab earlier this year (v West Coast?).
    The man can do it all. I'm not giving him up for anything!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Daniher is an outstanding full forward, but if they're getting beaten in the midfield there is only so much he can do.

If we are getting beaten in the midfield, Bont will step in.
    If we are winning the midfield battle but not converting, Bont will go forward and invent a goal.
    If we are lacking a ruckman, he will go in the ruck.
    He even took a massive contested defensive grab earlier this year (v West Coast?).
    The man can do it all. I'm not giving him up for anything!
    He is. Imagine him in our team.

Post Thanks / Like

In 45 years of watching footy I haven't seen a player that I'd swap for the 21 yo Marcus Bontempelli. Even the players who had great careers weren't as assured as the Bont is, none of them could win every really important contest or seek out and own moments inside games. He's perfect.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

9. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    In 45 years of watching footy I haven't seen a player that I'd swap for the 21 yo Marcus Bontempelli. Even the players who had great careers weren't as assured as the Bont is, none of them could win every really important contest or seek out and own moments inside games. He's perfect.
    The Bont is a fantastic player and we are so lucky to have him. I noticed you said earlier TD that he was better then EJ in your eyes. I take it you only saw Ted at the end of his career. I was lucky enough to watch Ted through the sixties. Ted is still best for mine. He was named Mr. Football by everyone for a good reason. He was the best in the league by far. I can only hope Marcus reaches that level. Who knows he might. But not yet in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    The Bont is a fantastic player and we are so lucky to have him. I noticed you said earlier TD that he was better then EJ in your eyes. I take it you only saw Ted at the end of his career. I was lucky enough to watch Ted through the sixties. Ted is still best for mine. He was named Mr. Football by everyone for a good reason. He was the best in the league by far. I can only hope Marcus reaches that level. Who knows he might. But not yet in my opinion.

Not EJ, I said he was now a better player better than KT and that was enough blasphemy for me for one lifetime. I'm not going to footy heaven! You're right I only ever saw EJ at the end (started going in 1970) and kicking the ball at training and stuff. I did a statistical comparison regarding EJ and Bont's first 100 games, in terms of premierships and personal awards their records are almost identical.

Post Thanks / Like

Not EJ, I said he was now a better player better than KT and that was enough blasphemy for me for one lifetime. I'm not going to footy heaven! You're right I only ever saw EJ at the end (started going in 1970) and kicking the ball at training and stuff. I did a statistical comparison regarding EJ and Bont's first 100 games, in terms of premierships and personal awards their records are almost identical.
    The Bont is no doubt at least equal to EJ at the same age.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Twodogs
    The best players I've seen are EJ, KT and the Bont.the Bont is better than the other two and Curnow, while he is playing well at the moment, isn't fit to be in the same room. All those blokes are better and more versatile than Curnow. Curnow doesn't own moment after moment inside games

Sorry if I misunderstood but I thought the above comment meant Bont was better than KT and EJ. The other two could be some other players. I never saw Ted at 21 but yes there is a comparision between Bont and him at the same age. At age 24 Ted became captain and coach. Incredible when you think of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure this has been asked/discussed earlier in this thread - but in case not.

Anyone prefer to see him play 60-75% CHF?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I have only just realised that my daughter's middle initials are EJ. Totally coincidental, I didn't even like football when she was born!

Talk about destiny.

16. Likes Daughter of the West liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Twodogs
    The best players I've seen are EJ, KT and the Bont.the Bont is better than the other two and Curnow, while he is playing well at the moment, isn't fit to be in the same room. All those blokes are better and more versatile than Curnow. Curnow doesn't own moment after moment inside games

Sorry if I misunderstood but I thought the above comment meant Bont was better than KT and EJ. The other two could be some other players. I never saw Ted at 21 but yes there is a comparision between Bont and him at the same age. At age 24 Ted became captain and coach. Incredible when you think of it.
    Sorry mate my bad i must have gotten carried away!

18. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    I have only just realised that my daughter's middle initials are EJ. Totally coincidental, I didn't even like football when she was born!

Talk about destiny.
    My daughter's middle name is Liberatore! Simply because I bloke loved Tony so much.

20. Likes chef, bornadog liked this post