Thanks Thanks:  73
Likes Likes:  455
Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Bont considered the most “valuable asset” in the AFL according to the stats

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...865508d7aad7d5

Cripps according to the “experts”
    Wouldn’t trade Bont for all the draft picks in the world.

BUT...here’s an interesting exercise. What deal would it take for you to give up Bont? Can include players and picks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Bont considered the most “valuable asset” in the AFL according to the stats

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...865508d7aad7d5

Cripps according to the “experts”
    What does Bontempelli's next contract earn him per year? $1.2M?

What would he be paid on the open market? $1.5M?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Wouldn’t trade Bont for all the draft picks in the world.

BUT...here’s an interesting exercise. What deal would it take for you to give up Bont? Can include players and picks.
    If Marcus Bontempelli ever plays in another clubs jumper I reckon i'd be done...

In all my time following this club there have only been two players which would break my heart if they left. Chris Grant and Marcus Bontempelli.

Sorry Comrade I can't even begin to entertain your scenario. Bontempelli is worth more to US in so many ways, than any other player and players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

About that. If he's captain, and we have a long window (as it looks like) say maybe $1.1M topped up with some off field dollars. The new CBA isn't due for a couple of years from when we hope he signs, but at minimum a pro rata increase in line with the salary cap increase. The last CBA had about a 20% increase in the first year. A pro rata increase on that level (if it happens again) to Bonts takes him to $1.3M and some off field dollars in 2023 onwards.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bont's untouchable. I'd consider it for Kelvin Templeton and EJ Whitten. Pay him whatever he wants by the time he's 28 he will be far and away the best player in the comp.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

7. Likes Raw Toast, Twodogs, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Marcus Bontempelli ever plays in another clubs jumper I reckon i'd be done...

In all my time following this club there have only been two players which would break my heart if they left. Chris Grant and Marcus Bontempelli.

Sorry Comrade I can't even begin to entertain your scenario. Bontempelli is worth more to US in so many ways, than any other player and players.
    Yes Chris and Bont - I am with you.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yes Chris and Bont - I am with you.
    KT broke my teenage heart.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

10. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Same.

The only thing I was grateful for was when he left us, he wasn't the same player after his injury. Imagine if he was at his best at Melbourne, and we had to stand back and watch.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Same.

The only thing I was grateful for was when he left us, he wasn't the same player after his injury. Imagine if he was at his best at Melbourne, and we had to stand back and watch.
    That would have been devastating. If that had happened, I don't know if I could have loved the club or the game the way I do.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Sames my first crush as a 10 year old.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d assume about that. $1.2m minimum for 5-6 years I’d have thought. It’s funny, I’d have paid him that over 10 years when he last signed for much less money and time. But I’d be the worst negotiator in that contract.

It’d go like this:

Bont: Hi
    Me: We’ll double it!

16. Likes azabob, KT31, jeemak, S Coast Simon, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Bont v Cripps: a free agent gap opens up
    Jake Niall
    Chief football writer, The Age

In 2019, Patrick Cripps was shoulder to shoulder with Marcus Bontempelli in the pecking order of game-influencing midfielders.

At that point, Cripps was in the conversation about the best handful of players in the AFL. If not for Dustin Martin, he might have held the top spot. Certainly, he was viewed as a top five player who had just entered his peak; limited outside, he was nonpareil at winning the hardest balls in the scrimmages that had become so prevalent.

In 2021, the paths of fellow skippers and 2013 draftees Bontempelli and Cripps have diverged as sharply as the performance of their teams in the final quarter on Sunday, when the Bont stepped up his game and Cripps was unable to get hold of the ball.

Bontempelli could not have timed his brilliance better, both against the Blues and in the broader context of 2021, when he is a free agent and when the decision for him will not simply be about the contract he could command - rather, it will be what he is willing to accept to keep the Bulldogs in premiership contention.

Cripps, conversely, has picked the wrong year thus far to be a free agent. The widespread view is that a less-congested game, with fewer stoppage opportunities for a contested beast, has not played to Cripps’ strengths.

Contractual negotiations are always conducted on the field. In 2017, Richmond’s first offer to Martin was for little more than $800,000 and four years. By the time he signed, just before the finals, Dusty was commanding closer to $1.2m for seven seasons.

If there was relatively little separating Bontempelli and Cripps in 2019 - that’s the only season in which, statistically, Champion Data placed Cripps ahead of Bontempelli (Cripps led the AFL in clearances) - today, a sizeable gap has been established.

In those ratings - more accurate than other measures of players’ value - Bontempelli is the AFL’s top ranked player in 2021, ahead of Nic Naitanui and, curiously, Tom Liberatore is third. Cripps is just outside the top 100 this year.

One experienced football official from a rival club, asked what Cripps was worth compared with Bontempelli, said: “Definitely not as much. Because Bont gets so much outside [ball]. Cripps doesn’t.” He guessed that the gap would be at least $200,000 per annum, with Bontempelli obviously able to earn more than $1m a year.

For the Bulldogs, the contract discussions with Bontempelli will be shaped by what the skipper wants, both in terms of quantum of dollars and the length. It is conceivable, too, that Bontempelli might not want the new superstar standard of a very long deal of more than five years, such as that signed by Melbourne’s Christian Petracca (seven years).

While other clubs with a pressing need for an inside player would still see value in Cripps, it is hard to see him gaining one of those mega deals, such as Petracca’s.

In part, Cripps is a victim of his own combative style, and the longstanding lack of a supporting cast - barring the astonishing Sam Walsh.

Cripps, above all, has carried both a team and some injuries, such as stress fractures in his back, while smoother Marcus has been blessed with teammates that share some of his talents (Jack Macrae being the main ally).

Bontempelli, indeed, rivals or almost surpasses Dusty for durability. He has missed only three games in the past five years and only once - in 2018 - has Bont not played for consecutive games.

The most marked difference between Bontempelli and Cripps is, as that club official put it, on the outside, Bontempelli having averaged a remarkable 598 metres per game, with a kicking efficiency of 65 per cent. Bont has had the lowest proportion of contested possessions - just 37 per cent in 2021 - in his career, yet has inflicted greater damage (7.9 average score involvements, 1.1 goals per game).

Carlton, though, won’t have lost faith in their skipper. If they mightn’t offer him what he was worth in 2019, they can be counted on to back Cripps to regain his footing. While he’s no longer shoulder to shoulder with the Bont, he’s still a formidable inside warrior, even in a game that’s developing a bias towards those with an outside gear.

Bontempelli v Cripps in second half
    Disposals: Bontempelli 17 v Cripps 5
    Contested Possessions: 12 v 3
    Clearances: 6 v 2
    Tackles: 3 v 2
    Inside 50s: 5 v 0
    Goals: 1 v 1
    Score Assists: 2 v 0
    Score Involvements: 9 v 2

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...10-p57qjv.html
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

18. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone on reddit produced footballers with different hairstyles. Apologies for the ensuing nightmares...

Link

20. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant goal, first one in this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwC8iT2NUJs

Bont stands up incredibly well in tackles, handballs in all sorts of creative ways, and his kicking action is sublime.
    Maybe the best player I have ever seen and he plays for us.

Dalrymple!!!!!!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Brilliant goal, first one in this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwC8iT2NUJs

Bont stands up incredibly well in tackles, handballs in all sorts of creative ways, and his kicking action is sublime.
    Maybe the best player I have ever seen and he plays for us.

Dalrymple!!!!!!
    GD, you need to find the clip with the commentary. Anthony Hudson calls it beautifully.

23. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post