Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  460
Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

Be a challenge for him to get in first round with Stringer, Macrae and now Fuller most likely will come into the side.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This quote in the HUN:
    I was astounded at the weight/body difference in Macrae from being drafted to the pre season games last year. I actually didn't know who he was

Post Thanks / Like

With those hands, that size, that tank, all coupled with his work ethic, there is no possible way he wont get to 100 games.

Know that we'd of course want more, but this idea that he might be a total bust is crap.

I admit I was a touch skeptical on picking him until I saw those hands. Those beautiful, beautiful hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    With those hands, that size, that tank, all coupled with his work ethic, there is no possible way he wont get to 100 games.

Know that we'd of course want more, but this idea that he might be a total bust is crap.

I admit I was a touch skeptical on picking him until I saw those hands. Those beautiful, beautiful hands.
    Take some time to compose yourself Guido

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair I'm not sure any viewed him as a potential total bust, but I think a 200 game career should be the standard for a top 5 pick and high quality too. He's got a very high ceiling but maybe a tad less certain than some 'more proven' kids. But in no way is he a complete gamble at worst he should be a solid 100+ gamer but likely a lot more.

At his size though he has a real point of difference and if he comes on as we hope he may, we may be walking away with the best midfielder from the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Think it...don't type it. You've made this thread a little awkward.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Marcus Bontempelli

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Think it...don't type it. You've made this thread a little awkward.
    In 24 hours Bonts has bounced between potential whipping boy to sex symbol in the hand modelling industry.

Plently of strings to this kids' bow. WD him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    In 24 hours Bonts has bounced between potential whipping boy to sex symbol in the hand modelling industry.
    Hopefully he is "master of his domain"

Post Thanks / Like

Dalrymple noted his rate of improvement as a key reason behind targetting him.
    Bodes well for his "teachability" at least
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    Take some time to compose yourself Guido
    It's hard to.

Most underrated aspect of the game and IMO nowhere near enough time spent on perfecting the craft - the amount of players at the top level who fumble, or whose handballs send teammates into trouble just baffles me - that being off by half a metre/split second is game changing. You get away with it in nothing games with plenty of time and space, but unfortunately finals give you neither. On the opposite side of the spectrum it's an absolute weapon - creating space where there should have been none or giving a teammate an extra second to compose themselves is just as critical as a quality kick.

I don't care how awkward it is - until these special mouth strips get delivered, I'm going on the assumption that we could very well have the league's two most damaging players by hand lining up next to each other for the next 10 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Just watching his highlights reel, SUPER excited with this selection, very happy.
    Yep me too and can't wait to see Bonts and Grant on the wings matchup nightmares.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Dalrymple noted his rate of improvement as a key reason behind targetting him.
    Bodes well for his "teachability" at least
    This comment from Dalrymple last night re: Bonts' improvement throughout the season is particularly encouraging and references the same level of improvement in Ward and Macrae:

"His rate of improvement from the start of the year to the end of the season is something that I haven't seen in my 15 years or so of watching TAC Cup footy"

The comparisons to Howard and Williams alluded to earlier are way off the mark. This kid can clearly play the game and has shown rapid improvement at the highest level of U-18, something neither of the afore-mentioned could boast when they were drafted. Drafting is a futures market not about the now, and if Bonts can show such significant improvement as a bottom ager against his top level peers now, it is not a stretch to expect his level of improvement to continue under the structure of a professional AFL environment.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care how awkward it is - until these special mouth strips get delivered, I'm going on the assumption that we could very well have the league's two most damaging players by hand lining up next to each other for the next 10 years.
    Liberatore and Bontempelli, the Italian stallions!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Liberatore and Bontempelli, the Italian stallions!
    Good to have the wog attack back.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The comparisons to Howard and Williams alluded to earlier are way off the mark. This kid can clearly play the game and has shown rapid improvement at the highest level of U-18, something neither of the afore-mentioned could boast when they were drafted. Drafting is a futures market not about the now, and if Bonts can show such significant improvement as a bottom ager against his top level peers now, it is not a stretch to expect his level of improvement to continue under the structure of a professional AFL environment.
    Too true - I hope we don't put any expectations on him to debut next year, considering Stringer, Macrae, Hunter & Hrovat will all push for more gametime (some of it via midfield rotation) with Prudden & Sam Darley likely to debut for us as well.

At 193cm he'll take longer.

One thing I was impressed with was his interview; he was asked his preferred position and he was quick to say midfield, and specified himself as an inside-outside type.
    I saw an Everitt interview after a VFL game about his preferred position and he didn't have one. I like the idea of a player being more definate on where and how they want to play.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers