Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  460
Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

He really reminds me of Freos Barlow the way he keeps his arms high when tackled. A bit more athletic than Barlow though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Hopefully he is "master of his domain"
    I'm out!

We've clearly set a course on drafting kids with particular attitudes that reflect the coach's mantra.

To be honest, despite the conjecture, I'm comfortable with who and how we're drafting at the moment. There's a long term goal in mind, and building a team of like minded individuals will mean every player that steps onto the field will meet the same expectations.

On another note, looking at the pic of the top ten draftees together, there is not a playing jersey that holds a candle to ours. Returning to that design was a masterstroke.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Good to have the wog attack back.
    squad!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    squad!
    we need to add one more for a squad.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Does Hrovat count?
    If we drafted one of the Kolonda-alphabet brothers, commentators would refuse to call our games
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Liberatore and Bontempelli, the Italian stallions!
    Thinking the same thing. Add Crameri and of course Gia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Does Hrovat count?
    If we drafted one of the Kolonda-alphabet brothers, commentators would refuse to call our games
    yeah chuck him in there with Dahl.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Interesting, thanks BAD. I wonder if he plays off a back flank initially or if we look to throw him right in the middle. Going to be great to see how we can develop him.
    For his development it would be better for him to get to the stage of dominating games in the VFL from the middle rather than run around as a half back flank in the AFL?

Can we put something to rest? Exactly how tall is he really?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    At the draft camp he measured 193.9cm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    For his development it would be better for him to get to the stage of dominating games in the VFL from the middle rather than run around as a half back flank in the AFL?

I don't think it really matters whether he gets to play a few games in the AFL off a flank. Any experience at the top level will be good for him as long as things are kept positive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    This comment from Dalrymple last night re: Bonts' improvement throughout the season is particularly encouraging and references the same level of improvement in Ward and Macrae:

"His rate of improvement from the start of the year to the end of the season is something that I haven't seen in my 15 years or so of watching TAC Cup footy"

The comparisons to Howard and Williams alluded to earlier are way off the mark. This kid can clearly play the game and has shown rapid improvement at the highest level of U-18, something neither of the afore-mentioned could boast when they were drafted. Drafting is a futures market not about the now, and if Bonts can show such significant improvement as a bottom ager against his top level peers now, it is not a stretch to expect his level of improvement to continue under the structure of a professional AFL environment.
    I saw Macrae in a practice game early last year, plus one other and I thought he looks one to watch out for the rookie list. His rate of improvement is the best that I've ever seen. To say Bontempelli's is better well that's just unbelievable and it does make me feel pretty excited.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    It's hard to.

Most underrated aspect of the game and IMO nowhere near enough time spent on perfecting the craft - the amount of players at the top level who fumble, or whose handballs send teammates into trouble just baffles me - that being off by half a metre/split second is game changing. You get away with it in nothing games with plenty of time and space, but unfortunately finals give you neither. On the opposite side of the spectrum it's an absolute weapon - creating space where there should have been none or giving a teammate an extra second to compose themselves is just as critical as a quality kick.

I don't care how awkward it is - until these special mouth strips get delivered, I'm going on the assumption that we could very well have the league's two most damaging players by hand lining up next to each other for the next 10 years.
    Think its his long accurate arms as well. I'm nominating "The Inspector"

Go go gadget arms!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    With those hands, that size, that tank, all coupled with his work ethic, there is no possible way he wont get to 100 games.

Know that we'd of course want more, but this idea that he might be a total bust is crap.

I admit I was a touch skeptical on picking him until I saw those hands. Those beautiful, beautiful hands.
    basketball

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    At the draft camp he measured 193.9cm
    But there was that hoohaa (apparently) about measurements at the camp being maybe being out by up to 2cm, and he is listed variously form 191 to 194.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Liberatore and Bontempelli, the Italian stallions!
    Good to have the wog attack back.
    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    squad!

Make Mitch Wallis an honorary wog and we have ourselves a squad. Problem solved!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.