Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  460
Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

I think only a handful of games would be the most likely scenario. Gives him a taste but gives him plenty of game time in the vfl. The more meaningful minutes he plays against men at vfl level the better for him at this point. Will give him more midfield time in particular.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Whats a realistic expectation on senior games for Bontempelli?

Would 6 to 8 be around the expectation?
    I'd say 4-8 depending on his pre-season, how much of the work he can do etc

He's 18 today

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I'd say 4-8 depending on his pre-season, how much of the work he can do etc

He's 18 today
    It probably depends on the season the club is having. If we are keeping the wins and good performances ticking over then they will be super patient with him. If we drop off towards the end of the season then he might be given an extended run at it.

10 Games is realistic

I'm so pleased we identified him as an early pick and refuted offers for that pick.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think it will depend on the size he's able to put on through preseason, and how he copes with its rigours physically.

If he manages to put on some solid KG's and is reasonably fresh (assuming he's playing well) then he'll get his chance fairly early. If fitness and form is maintained, then I think he's a show for ten to twelve games.

There really isn't a rush with him though. Anything that could possibly hamper his physical development and ability to cope should be avoided without a second thought.

Post Thanks / Like

All depends on first how he's travelling throughout the pre season and early VFL form, size wise alone there's no reason why he couldn't play senior games like MacRae did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    All depends on first how he's travelling throughout the pre season and early VFL form, size wise alone there's no reason why he couldn't play senior games like MacRae did.

The first thing I thought was about as many as Macrae. I was surprised to see that Jack played 13 games last year though-I'd be surprised if Bont played that many games next year.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The first thing I thought was about as many as Macrae. I was surprised to see that Jack played 13 games last year though-I'd be surprised if Bont played that many games next year.
    The club itself said that Macrae would take the longest and wasn't likely to feature much, but he had a good pre-season and impressed instantly once the matches started.

There should be no expectation on Bontempelli. If he mirrors Macrae, that's a bonus, but a year spent applying his craft in our own VFL side's midfield will also be satisfactory.

Post Thanks / Like

He's very slight, maybe a handful for the entire year? He'd get bashed up in the midfield I reckon so he'd need to play off a wing maybe where he could still use his size and pace???
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Why?
    I think supporters can voice an opinion on whom they like to draft.
    No, no opinions allowed clearly. I've never rat on players (I was a bit harsh on Cross once) but I'm always pretty optimistic about who we have on the list and who we choose to draft. I'm very happy with Hrovat, MaCrae, Stringer and Crameri so I'll leave it to the experts to get our picks right.

I'm sure Bontempelli won't be reading what I have to say about the selection but I pay my membership every year so I'm entitled to say I would have preferred Aish or Scharenberg -even though it was a bit of a raffle.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Whats a realistic expectation on senior games for Bontempelli?

Would 6 to 8 be around the expectation?
    Next season or throughout his career

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Next season or throughout his career
    Not a fan on the choice? You would have chosen either of the SA boys over him?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Personally for a quicker fix the two SA boys would probably be better.
    I'm more confident with the MB selection than I initially was, as I think we can nurture the kid and develop with our own VFL team. Twelve months ago I'd be worried he'd be lost at Willy, and of course it's all blue sky at this time of year .

Post Thanks / Like

What Macca said:

A player with enormous upside is 17-year-old Bontempelli, who as a 193cm utility could easily become one of the best pickups in this year’s draft.

“Marcus is a really exciting, very much a development player who we think will develop into a midfielder who can play in a variety of positions,” he said.

“He will be an exciting player to watch, he will do things that you don’t’ expect and he will add to our team.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

macrae played a bunch of games because he had a good endurance base and because we were shit.

bonts also has a good endurance base, but if we are in the situation where we are a chance to make the finals I doubt we will throw him a dozen games unless he is killing them back at Footscray.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not start him off down back? He'd be really handy as a defender.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus