HF: Dickson, Crameri, Dahlhaus
    FF:Grant, Campbell, Stringer
    R: Minson, Griffen, Cooney
    I: Goodes, Boyd, McCrae, Gia (Sub)

Em: Stevens, Hunter, Hrovat

Smith and Higgins not available

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2014 team selection

So hard to pick at this stage especially given our need to balance results with development. My best 22, assuming form and fitness are not issues, is as follows:

B: Morris Roughead Johannisen
    HB: Murphy Williams Young
    C: Cooney Griffen Stevens
    HF: Dahlhaus Jones Crameri
    F: Grant Campbell Dickson
    Foll: Minson Wallis Liberatore

Int: Boyd Higgins Wood
    Sub: Giansiracusa

Post Thanks / Like

Yep hard. Could nominate up to 8 players as emergencies. I like Campbell but i fear the side would be to top heavy. Williams can give minno a rest.

HB: Murphy Talia Wood
    HF: Dahlhaus Williams Crameri
    F: Grant Jones Dickson

Int: Boyd Higgins Stringer
    Sub: Hunter

Post Thanks / Like

Its going to be very interesting to see once available, where Higgins fits into the structure. The beauty of depth though, he will most likely have to return through the 2nds and earn his spot which all healthy for all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cricho54 View Post
    So hard to pick at this stage especially given our need to balance results with development. My best 22, assuming form and fitness are not issues, is as follows:

I liked the look of your team until I realised there's no recruits from 2012. Macrae, Stringer and Hrovat need to replace umm,,...??? Wood!!! and Ummm...

Post Thanks / Like

This is bloody hard .
    The first thing that strikes me is our increased depth.
    I'd have Macrae in for Wood
    Probably Stringer for Higgins ( starting pre- season late)
    Talia for Tom W( tough call)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Really hard to know how things will end up, but at this stage my crack would be something like this:

B: Morris, Roughead, Goodes
    HB: Johannisen, Talia, Murphy
    C: Wallis, Boyd, Cooney
    HF: Stringer, Jones, Dahlhaus
    F: Crameri, Grant, Hunter
    R: Minson, Griffen, Liberatore
    I/C: Campbell, Young, Macrae, Stevens

Couldn't fit in Picken or Gia but I'm sure both will play a lot of footy throughout the year. Same goes for Wood and Dickson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    This is bloody hard .
    The first thing that strikes me is our increased depth.
    It is looking extremely difficult and there are certainly a few that will be under pressure for spots.

Not sure that many can be considered locks and the pre-season is going to be huge with the competition.
    JJ and Goodes have pressure from Darley and Fuller.

Will Jones be competing with Campbell if we are to fit in Stringer and Grant along with Crameri being added.
    Dickson was very good late in the year but Hunter had the look of someone very special. Can they fit with Dahlhaus and Gia. Will Higgins get right and be adding to the pressure.

Where do Macrae and Hrovat fit in the structure, without considering the new draftees.

The area I see as being weakest is tall defenders as we have Talia, Young and Wood to fill spots but will be conceding height. Williams being fit would be 1st choice CHB for mine.

What we need however, is a few progressing from worth a game to A grade and perhaps elite. If that happens we are going to be scary good in the next 2 to 3 years.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The area I see as being weakest is tall defenders as we have Talia, Young and Wood to fill spots but will be conceding height. Williams being fit would be 1st choice CHB for mine.
    Wood is 185cm so if we are relying on him to play a tall defender role we are in serious trouble.

There is Austin who is ok and Fletcher Roberts as depth as well.
    Redpath on the rookie list perhaps at a pinch - I know some rate him, he can't be as bad as Mulligan (personally I don;t see it, hope he proves me wrong).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I liked the look of your team until I realised there's no recruits from 2012. Macrae, Stringer and Hrovat need to replace umm,,...??? Wood!!! and Ummm...
    This is just what I think our best side is if everyone is fit and firing; not what I think the side will or should be in Round 1. Of course there'll be injuries, players not performing, and a need to rotate the kids through the side. Given those three variables I just couldn't settle on a final team so I chose the best available if the sole objective was to win games of footy, in my opinion anyway...

Post Thanks / Like

The only guys I really see as locks for best 22 are Morris, Roughead, Murphy, Cooney, Griffen, Dahlhaus, Crameri, Minson, Wallis and Liberatore. You'd imagine Gia would be starting sub most weeks, as there would be no point in his extra year if he's not selected.

Williams, Higgins and Wood are all very injury prone and I would be amazed if all 3 spent all season on the park. Sadly I have a feeling this could be Boyd's last year with us, with the emergence of the young midfielders we've drafted in the last couple of years led by Smith. I'd expect Boyd to unfortunately have a similar year to Cross last season.

There's great pressure for spots all over the ground with guys like Picken, Goodes, Smith, Talia, Macrae, Stringer, Hrovat, Hunter and Tutt all with genuine claims for best 22 status already. Whatever happens I think we're gonna be in for a bloody exciting year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Wood is 185cm so if we are relying on him to play a tall defender role we are in serious trouble.
    There is Austin who is ok and Fletcher Roberts as depth as well.
    Redpath on the rookie list perhaps at a pinch - I know some rate him, he can't be as bad as Mulligan (personally I don;t see it, hope he proves me wrong).
    I know Wood gives away height but he has shown a capacity to play tall.

Remember Steve Kretiuk was only about 183 but played mostly as a key defender.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Easton has a tremendous jump and coupled with genuine strength I think he can match it with most tall opponents. I think he's one of those guys who will always be more highly rated internally compared to the supporters' view. He still has a lot more to give.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Kretiuk played at a time where 189-190cm was regarded as KPP height and defenders could be a lot tougher on the body.

190cm these days makes you a Freo midfielder - the only "tall" I've seen him legitimately beat is Stevie J at 191cm and even then Steve doesn't play much of a marking game.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Yes Easton has a tremendous jump and coupled with genuine strength I think he can match it with most tall opponents. I think he's one of those guys who will always be more highly rated internally compared to the supporters' view. He still has a lot more to give.
    I think if we've had to resort to playing Wood as a tall defender like we did a couple of seasons back then we are struggling for depth.

Wood's biggest asset is his run and carry, and playing him as a tall lockdown defender really robs us of that, or least it effects the way he plays and his confidence in running.

Third man in loose defender with rebound is his style and he needs to rediscover this to get a spot back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I think if we've had to resort to playing Wood as a tall defender like we did a couple of seasons back then we are struggling for depth.

Wood's biggest asset is his run and carry, and playing him as a tall lockdown defender really robs us of that, or least it effects the way he plays and his confidence in running.

Third man in loose defender with rebound is his style and he needs to rediscover this to get a spot back.
    Agree. Tom Young is a far better option as a third tall defender who can also provide rebound. Wood needs to focus on either winning more ball as a rebounding running defender, or look to become a genuine midfield option, otherwise his career could be jeopardy.