Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Footy journalism - the good, the bad and the ugly

Dunno if this has been posted, but check out the afl.com view of our draft - the bold bit

We say
    The Bulldogs were happy to focus on youth at the national draft, having acquired Stewart Crameri and Sam Darley in the trade period. They snared Marcus Bontempelli, a tall midfielder who can win his own ball, with selection No.4 and competitive small forward/midfielder Mitch Honeychurch. They also collected 23-year-old Norwood premiership defender/forward Matthew Fuller at No.42, and were rapt to land Honeychurch at No.60, with the Eastern Ranges youngster to provide more midfield depth with his appetite for the contested ball. They'd be happy having landed Crameri in particular and look to have strengthened their attack further with Fuller, who kicked a famous long goal in the 2013 SANFL Grand Final. – Jennifer Phelan
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-2...draft-verdicts

WTF? How poor is that?

Made me think of a whole lot of other rubbish I've read about us and other teams over the years.

And some pretty good stuff, like the journos who went after the Bomber drug cheats.

Footy journalism - what or who is your good, the bad and the ugly?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footy journalism - the good, the bad and the ugly

Emma Quayle is always a good read, even though a touch of Essendon Bias came out when discussing the Crameri trade.

As much as I was never really a fan, Caroline Wilson's coverage of the supplements saga was exemplary, and its a testament to here that Paul Little and all of the Essendon apologists chose to go with the personal attacks as vehemently as he did.

And yet, Mark Robinson won an award for his coverage of the scandal. Are you *!*!*!*!ing serious?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Emma Quayle is always a good read, even though a touch of Essendon Bias came out when discussing the Crameri trade.
    She always takes the soft, easy articles as she is the junior - but she does it pretty well

As much as I was never really a fan, Caroline Wilson's coverage of the supplements saga was exemplary, and its a testament to here that Paul Little and all of the Essendon apologists chose to go with the personal attacks as vehemently as he did.
    Best in the business IMO
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Investigative journalism is dead and has been for a long time. Caroline Wilson, love her or hate her, she does investigate stories and is generally spot on with her claims. Love reading Emma Q, especially her stories into draftees and young footballers. Overall though, a lot of rubbish as indicated by DR, is written up off the back of snippets, tweets and social forums.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone loves Emma Quayle but as Mofra points out she isn't asked to do the sort of work many other footy journo's are. Strikes me as more of a features writer than a news-breaking journo.

My biggest criticism of Caro is that her standard modus operandi is to always look for the conspiracy. Guess what...sometimes there isn't one.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post

My biggest criticism of Caro is that her standard modus operandi is to always look for the conspiracy. Guess what...sometimes there isn't one.
    Much prefer that than the boys club protectionism style of Robbo and his mates, too scared to upset their sources and find their access privileges rescinded.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Much prefer that than the boys club protectionism style of Robbo and his mates, too scared to upset their sources and find their access privileges rescinded.
    Yep; the reason Caro's coverage was so much better than everyone else's is because of a total hatred of the boys club treatment that footballers recieve. Her relentlessness was not only fitting but refreshing.

However, she has a solid tendency to shout whispers through a megaphone; anyone remember the "West Sydney Celtics" articles? Because I sure do.

My main issue with footy writers is that the "news breakers" are either not good writers (Ralph, Stevo), don't appear to actually like the game, just the scandal around it (Caro), or both (Hutchy, Barrett). Whilst the actual good writers are either relegated to fluff journalism (Quale when not writing about the draft) or are starstruck fanboys (Robbo).

No one has hit the balance yet. FWIW I think Quale is the best but I wish they would make David King pen more stuff.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yep; the reason Caro's coverage was so much better than everyone else's is because of a total hatred of the boys club treatment that footballers recieve. Her relentlessness was not only fitting but refreshing.

However, she has a solid tendency to shout whispers through a megaphone; anyone remember the "West Sydney Celtics" articles? Because I sure do.

My main issue with footy writers is that the "news breakers" are either not good writers (Ralph, Stevo), don't appear to actually like the game, just the scandal around it (Caro), or both (Hutchy, Barrett). Whilst the actual good writers are either relegated to fluff journalism (Quale when not writing about the draft) or are starstruck fanboys (Robbo).

No one has hit the balance yet. FWIW I think Quale is the best but I wish they would make David King pen more stuff.
    Refresh my memory?

Would be great if they could lure Shaun Carney to write about footy. I seem to recall some great insights into footy he had.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Gerard Whateley for mine. He's sold out a little to the commercial mainstream, but I like a journo who explains and backs up why they're saying what the they're saying.

I got hot and cold on Caro, but her tenacity on the Essendon affair was exemplary journalism.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Refresh my memory?

Would be great if they could lure Shaun Carney to write about footy. I seem to recall some great insights into footy he had.
    Basically it was a few articles by Caro saying that GWS were going to be coached in part by Tadhg Kennelly, have at least 10 Irish players and be called the Celtics, wearing orange, green and white.

It was like a source was playing a practical joke on her.

Post Thanks / Like

Thing I like about Emma is you see her around a lot, for example the pound cafe or in the outer. Not sure I've ever seen Caro at the footy.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Thing I like about Emma is you see her around a lot, for example the pound cafe or in the outer. Not sure I've ever seen Caro at the footy.
    She leaves once the ball is bounced, I see her on occasion if I'm running late to a match. She has no interest in the game itself.

On the rare occasion she has something worth reading, but most of the time she's just pursuing personal vendettas under the guise of journalism, which is unprofessional and pretty pathetic really. Her stalking of Dane Swan after he had a run in with her son should have been killed in the bud by The Age if they had any leadership.

I like Emma Quayle, but that's because I like the football part of football. If I was interested in gossip/scandal I'd read New Idea.

Robbo is just Joffa in a cheap suit.

Post Thanks / Like

And yet, Mark Robinson won an award for his coverage of the scandal. Are you *!*!*!*!ing serious?
    Who gave the award?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    She leaves once the ball is bounced, I see her on occasion if I'm running late to a match. She has no interest in the game itself.

On the rare occasion she has something worth reading, but most of the time she's just pursuing personal vendettas under the guise of journalism, which is unprofessional and pretty pathetic really. Her stalking of Dane Swan after he had a run in with her son should have been killed in the bud by The Age if they had any leadership.

I like Emma Quayle, but that's because I like the football part of football. If I was interested in gossip/scandal I'd read New Idea.

I quite like Joffa, when he's not at a Pies game.

Caroline Wilson is a flog. She was just lucky that her particular brand of witch hunt journalism was the type needed during the Essendon fiasco. A broken watch is right twice a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post

Disagree, I think Robbo actually has a distinct passion and understanding of the game, which comes through in his speech and his writing (even if he does have difficulty fully articulating himself).

He just needs to get his head around that AFL footballers are his subjects, not his idols of worship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Disagree, I think Robbo actually has a distinct passion and understanding of the game, which comes through in his speech and his writing (even if he does have difficulty fully articulating himself).

He just needs to get his head around that AFL footballers are his subjects, not his idols of worship.
    The bolded in itself makes him a poor journalist. The intrinsic ability to express yourself is what separates a journalist from other people with an opinion on a subject.

As for understanding the game, I would classify him as no better than the average punter in the stands, and substantially inferior to many just on WOOF alone.

So passion, average understanding of the game, and difficulty expressing his views. That sounds like Joffa in a cheap suit to me.