Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footy journalism - the good, the bad and the ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    The bolded in itself makes him a poor journalist. The intrinsic ability to express yourself is what separates a journalist from other people with an opinion on a subject.

As for understanding the game, I would classify him as no better than the average punter in the stands, and substantially inferior to many just on WOOF alone.

So passion, average understanding of the game, and difficulty expressing his views. That sounds like Joffa in a cheap suit to me.
    You're probably right, which to me speaks to the poor quality of football journalism on the whole; A traditionally bad journalist is still an award winning one and one that I prefer to most others. Think you're underselling his knowledge though.

Would still rather the passion of Robbo than the douchebag superiority of a Jon Ralph.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I think Robbo writes well but put him front of a microphone and it's embarrassing. Johnny Ralph is the opposite...confident in front of the cameras but writes drivel.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny Ralph is very glib. He seems to say whatever comes into his head at that moment (only judging from hearing him on SEN, never read what he writes)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Who gave the award?

I quite like Joffa, when he's not at a Pies game.

Caroline Wilson is a flog. She was just lucky that her particular brand of witch hunt journalism was the type needed during the Essendon fiasco. A broken watch is right twice a day.
    I've not hear that one but I really like it. FWIW, I would not be surprised if there are a few journo's among you lot. I've often read some posts and thought, hang a tic, this woofer works in media or communications or something.

When I lived in Geelong, they had Cam Mooney, Brad, Chapman writing for the local rag. Was pretty awful to tell the truth.
    Denis Cometti is a good writer. He wrote an article once about The Dogs winning the NAB cup and it was interwoven with personal anecdote and insight. Loved it, not just because it was about us.

What do you all think about Martin Flannigan? when I think about it, there are not many people who write well about what happens on field. I seem to recall an article by Clarkson once on defensive tactics that I really enjoyed.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I've not hear that one but I really like it. FWIW, I would not be surprised if there are a few journo's among you lot. I've often read some posts and thought, hang a tic, this woofer works in media or communications or something.
    Its just that so many media people get their stories from posts on sites like WOOF.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Its just that so many media people get their stories from posts on sites like WOOF.
    I guess I meant more the way they put words together. The craft of it.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    She always takes the soft, easy articles as she is the junior - but she does it pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Everyone loves Emma Quayle but as Mofra points out she isn't asked to do the sort of work many other footy journo's are. Strikes me as more of a features writer than a news-breaking journo.
    Didn't Emma Quayle break the whole Kurt Tippett and Adelaide saga? She kept digging and kept finding stuff and kept writing about it? Not many big stories are broken these days that shock the footy world, but I'd suggest that one and the Essendon saga are the only ones of recent times?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Didn't Emma Quayle break the whole Kurt Tippett and Adelaide saga? She kept digging and kept finding stuff and kept writing about it? Not many big stories are broken these days that shock the footy world, but I'd suggest that one and the Essendon saga are the only ones of recent times?
    Social media is killing it, a source used to need a journalist as a voice piece. Now they can chuck it on twitter and wait for it to explode. Its why Carros work was so good around the Essendon scandal, she uncovered a lot others hadn't found

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Robinson's grown on me ( looks like an unmade bed ) but he is passionate
    Jon Ralph ( one word ) deplorable
    Gerard Whately ( the consummate professional)
    Caroline Wilson gutsy performer during the Essendon disgrace she's a footy politics writer, as we have thousands upon thousands of accredited journos it's a different perspective.
    Greg Denham ( terrible)
    Emma Quayle. excellent articles, and always an enjoyable read
    Rohan Connolly. really enjoy his work, but he blotted his copybook during the Essendon debacle . Had his bomber beanie on throughout.

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick Smith is the best. He's more an opinion writer these days but he is articulate, forthright and very well researched.

Jake Niall also excellent.

Martin Flanagan writes excellent features
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Greg Baum and Peter Hanlon, both of The Age, each have a turn of phrase that makes them worth reading.. And always appear to have a sense of romance about the Dogs.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Patrick Smith is the best. He's more an opinion writer these days but he is articulate, forthright and very well researched.

Jake Niall also excellent.

Martin Flanagan writes excellent features
    I can't help but think Smith's spot on KB's show irreparably damages his stocks for me. He often wrote about the hubris of others within the game all the while not realising he was indulging in it himself. Up to about 2011-12 I would have agreed with you, but his and KB's slot pretty much turned me off Smith and SEN altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Greg Baum and Peter Hanlon, both of The Age, each have a turn of phrase that makes them worth reading.. And always appear to have a sense of romance about the Dogs.
    I like The Age journo's for the major reason they're mainly journo's.

The footy media has adopted the 24 hour news cycle and twittersphere just as readily and as poorly as any other segment of the media. And it's a shame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Patrick Smith hates everything.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick and Caro were at least some of the few journos who took on the Essendon saga

Post Thanks / Like

Was it Stephen Reilly at The Age who wrote a very insightful article on our modified zoning tactics employed in the Round21, 2000 win over Essendon? The best article on a footy match I've ever read. It was a master class in breaking down and explaining the hybrid style of zoning Wallace employed that night.(Still remember Brereton on TV wondering aloud if what we were seeing was something that was taking footy to an new level).
    Can't find the Reilly? article, but his writing over a period of years was some of the best going around. Can't go past Martin Flanagan for some great writing on a range of footy related issues. From Bulldogs to NT footy he is such a good writer.