Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon puts $1m into club coffers

Link

WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon kicked in $1 million of his own money to the club this year, it has been revealed.

Gordon indicated when taking over from David Smorgon in December last year that he would make a financial contribution to the club, but did not say how large it would be.

Details of Gordon's generosity are in the club's financial report, which was released on Wednesday and shows the Dogs again made a small loss for the year to October 31.

The report refers to the Gordon contribution as a loan "from a director or related entity".

It reveals Gordon has forgiven repayment of $200,000, while the remainder of the money is available to the club interest free and "will not be called on from a period of 19 months from the end of the financial year".

It is not known if Gordon intends to also forgive the remaining $800,000 of the loan. He could not be reached for comment.

The Dogs made an operating loss of $143,090 - following a loss of $136,679 in 2012 - in what chief executive Simon Garlick said were challenging conditions.

The report notes the club has been guaranteed $2.81 million in assistance for next season from the AFL's Club Future Fund "subject to certain criteria being met".

Under a new AFL policy of total transparency revealed this month, the Dogs' rivals will now know what that money is for and the report acknowledges it has been "predominantly tagged for specific initiatives".

Garlick said the club had invested an extra $1.18 million in the football department this year, and expected to increase that spend by a further $1.5 million next year.

But he said that would still leave the club in the bottom quartile of football department spending among AFL clubs.

Garlick said the Bulldogs would continue to work with the AFL and rival clubs on better revenue sharing and equalisation strategies, but "no one should doubt our resolve to build our support base and all aspects of our business".

That declaration followed comments regarding the AFL's equalisation strategies this week from Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, who said he supported the concept of equalisation but had "a real worry that clubs are just going to sit there and become dependent on the AFL".

The Dogs increased revenue by $1.3 million this year to $34 million - a figure dwarfed by the results of competition powerhouses Collingwood ($75 million) and Hawthorn ($64 million).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon puts $1m into club coffers

Geez, thanks Peter. Not sure what words say thank you enough. That's serious skin in the game.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

That's an incredible contribution. Hopefully some of our supporters keep that in mind when criticizing the club and president over trivial issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks PG. You are a Bulldog legend.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic Peter, thank you, your passion for the club is unrivalled.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I just swore when I saw the headline! I can't offer much more than a heartfelt thank you Peter, but thank you.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thank you, Peter. That's really putting your money where your mouth is!

Post Thanks / Like

Upon more thinking, it's pretty unfair that this needs to occur. I hope that after any bad games the players have to look Peter in the eye. This motivates me to give some more, I hope non-members who identify with the club to do likewise.

Maybe that's our membership slogan "skin in the game"
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we did not have to accept this. PG's generosity is absolutely magnificent ... a true Bulldog.

We need members!! We need to get back those that we have lost!! We need to attract new members!!

Thank you Peter !!!!!!!
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

What more can I say that others haven't. Another thank you from me too Peter. Talk about putting your money where your mouth is.
    Last edited by Bulldog4life; 29-11-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

What a legend, will really help the club. Thanks Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Greystache. Unbelievable! Thanks so much David. We are very lucky to have you Peter.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 29-11-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody unreal. From the bottom of my Bulldog heart, thank you PG.

Post Thanks / Like

Spent 10 minutes on hold with the club to buy some extras. Good signs some are reacting positively.

Post Thanks / Like

Well damn.

Thanks Peter, this is insane. Hopefully you never have to do this again.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -