Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon puts $1m into club coffers

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I collected the funds for this.. Raised over $2k.

I handed the money over and got nothing in return except for a receipt.. Not even a thank-you letter.
    That's disgusting. We don't have donors on tap, I'd hope we make them feel so special they want to keep doing it...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That's disgusting. We don't have donors on tap, I'd hope we make them feel so special they want to keep doing it...
    Yep.

I hope the right people at the Club have a read of this thread and see the desire here to help out financially but understand that it is a two way street. If you're going to support over and above a membership, there should be some sort of formal recognition.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I collected the funds for this.. Raised over $2k.

I handed the money over and got nothing in return except for a receipt.. Not even a thank-you letter.
    That's pretty ordinary Mantis. Well done on raising that kind of money.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Gordon gave $1 million to his beloved Western Bulldogs saying it is better than a Ferrari

WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon says donating $1 million to his club last year was the realisation of a 25-year dream.

Gordon confirmed he had handed the money to his beloved Dogs last year, joking it was cheaper and more satisfying than a red Ferrari.

He helped rescue the club in 1989 when it was headed for a merger then was the president from 1989 to 1996.

A hugely successful lawyer who led class actions over asbestos, Dow Corning breast implants and the tobacco industry, he now has the means to help out financially.

Asked on Triple M radio about the Herald Sun’s story last November, he confirmed he has been able to gift the club the huge sum.

“In one sense it’s something I always dreamt of when I took over the club when I was 32 and didn’t have a brass razoo to my name,’’ he said.

“I dreamt of being in a position to do it and it was a thrill to do it. Some blokes when they get to middle age get red Ferraris and some have affairs and this for me was a lot more straightforward and cheaper and less complicated.

“We have done so much for multicultural communities and people with disabilities and this is a really iconic place for people in the west.”

Gordon’s wife Kerri helps run the Whitten Oval cafe Barkers with senior assistant Brett Montgomery’s wife Terri, with Kerri’s share of the proceeds directed back to the club.

He said the Dogs would never revert to the Footscray name while he was in charge despite the club’s VFL side reverting to the Footscray Bulldogs.

He said the club’s spread across the western suburbs was too important to jeopardise by a return to the traditional name for the AFL club.

Link
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Just how much do red Ferraris cost these days anyway?

Post Thanks / Like

I thanked PG a while back for this at a VFL game, and with a relaxed smile he said 'thanks' like it was not the biggest gesture the club has had given to it. I also told him I doubled my memberships when I heard about his gesture and he seemed genuinely chuffed hearing I wanted to do what I could, because he could too. I'm not sure how many AFL Presidents or our past Presidents have ever done something like this. He's Incredibly humble and VFL watchers will know how much he loves Footscray and every player on the list. I love people who do, and don't just talk about it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023