Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs to reinvigorate Cheer Squad

Link

Simon Garlick, Bulldogs Chief Executive has told westernbulldogs.com.au that the Club had determined to make some changes to the Western Bulldogs Cheer Squad to reinvigorate the squad and make it one that families and young people wanted to be a part of.

“The Club has recently identified a range of issues with the leadership of the Western Bulldogs Cheer Squad including:
    - A massive drop in Cheer Squad numbers - dropping 40 per cent in just three years
    - A clear lack of enthusiasm from families and our young supporters in wanting to join the Cheer Squad
    - Issues in relation to the quality of financial management.”

“In line with this the Club has determined the best way forward is to invite nominations for new leadership of the Cheer Squad and add a level of assistance and management of Cheer Squad processes from the Club,’ Garlick said.

“While this decision wasn’t an easy one - we weren’t prepared to sit back and let such an important part of our Club continue on the path it was.

“We want to see a resurgent, growing and vibrant Cheer Squad in 2014 - one that more Bulldogs, especially young Bulldogs want to be a part of.

“We want our Cheer Squad to be as fired up, loud, colourful and enthusiastic as it can be in its support of our boys in 2014 and beyond,” Garlick said.

Garlick said there will still be opportunities for all Cheer Squad members to be involved going forward under the changes.

“The Club will be calling for nominations for the new leadership roles shortly,” Garlick said.
    Last edited by bornadog; 09-12-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs to reinvigorate Cheer Squad

Poor 'ol big Dave was given the boot after 37 years in the cheer squad and barely missing a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Some pretty disgraceful commentary on FB by people rallying around the committee members who have been moved on. Full credit to them for their loyalty and efforts over the years but there doesn't appear to be anything too dramatic or unreasonable in the communicated direction the Club has taken.

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone on WOOF part of the cheer squad or who have been?

Does anyone know the main issues?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is anyone on WOOF part of the cheer squad or who have been?

Does anyone know the main issues?
    I know someone in the cheer squad. It was a pretty closed system with strong hierarchy apparently. It would be daunting for a child transitioning into it - I don't get the feeling they would have felt a part of it at all.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I know someone in the cheer squad. It was a pretty closed system with strong hierarchy apparently. It would be daunting for a child transitioning into it - I don't get the feeling they would have felt a part of it at all.
    Ditto for me. If they can't embrace new members and grow the group then this course of action was long overdue.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    That is disappointing to hear. Glad the club is taking action.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the cheer squad in the early 90's for a couple of years. Seems nothing had changed from then until this decision...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was in the cheer squad in the early 90's for a couple of years. Seems nothing had changed from then until this decision...
    How did you find it?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. I used to go to the footy with my uncle, his mate and his mate's son who was my age. When we were 10-11 (1990-91), my uncle and his mate sent us along to the cheer squad. We both hated it as we found the 'leaders' odd/rude/very unwelcoming/all about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Same here. I used to go to the footy with my uncle, his mate and his mate's son who was my age. When we were 10-11 (1990-91), my uncle and his mate sent us along to the cheer squad. We both hated it as we found the 'leaders' odd/rude/very unwelcoming/all about them.
    I had the same experience. I would never have allowed anyone I was responsible for have anything to do with them. A weird group of people desperately craving a position of power and willing to do whatever it takes to protect it. Pretty pathetic and change was well overdue. Another great initiative from the club.

Post Thanks / Like

I have told this story on here before, but a few years ago I flew over when we played Melbourne on a Friday night in the driving rain. i decided to brave the elements for a quarter and go sit behind the goals with the brave souls that had stayed in the rain.

I got down there (there were literally empty rows everywhere) and I went and sat on the end of an aisle. This bloke made a bee line for me and very abruptly said "all of these rows are reserved for cheersquad". I thought he was being funny because it was absolutely driving with rain, halfway through the game, and most sensible people had gone for the cover. I chuckled at what I thought was a joke. "If you don't move mate, I am getting security".

So I went across the other side of the aisle. To an almost completely empty bay.

If that was the culture, this change is loooooong overdue.

Ps I was wearing a bulldogs jumper and scarf.

Post Thanks / Like

How often did you have to meet up during the week. It must of been difficult to get to those meetings if you were busy with work or lived far away. Was it a good overall experience BT.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    How did you find it?
    Apart from going out on the ground to help (or pretend to) put the banner up the first few times, I probably wouldn't have any positive memories, certainly wasn't made to feel welcome and thought it was (boardering on ) weird. After that, I enjoyed the wider Western Oval and found I enjoyed it infinitely more! Maybe it was because of the unique atmosphere, and experience, or speaking to whoever around you were was a better experience than them, don't know, don't care, I love Western Oval and if this decision today makes kids like me feel welcome and invited families in, than this is a damn good thing.

EDIT: Upon reflection I can faintly recall my dad having some pointed words to one of the senior guys one day about shoddy treatment. Being my dad was built like a brick shit house with arms Maoris would die for, I was allowed to participate in a pre-game thing and then all of a sudden encouraged to help with the banner. I think that might have been the end of that.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Just missed you Rocco, I think I was 93/94.