Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs to reinvigorate Cheer Squad

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Jesus HD. I can't tell if you're being ironic and actually love the cheer squad, or hate it.
    Hate it. They were not nice to a young HD.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I spent most of my high school years in the cheer squad (mid-late 80s). There were good and bad experiences. I did enjoy meeting lots of new people, some of whom I am still friends with today. Train trips down to Geelong, occasionally going out to the Western Oval to help make the banners and of course rallying around the club in 1989.

Ultimately me and a few others left as we were sick of being told what to do and especially the way we were spoken to by certain members. I can see why kids are reluctant to join now, it would be quite daunting.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with the cheer squad echoes many of those above. I take my 10 year old brother along to every Melbourne game (both members) and have occasionally sat behind the goals for the last quarter (spare seats everywhere). Don't know any names but there was always a couple of older blokes who'd stare us down and make us feel anything but welcome. Not the way it should be and I'm not surprised at all that families are leaving in numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Move by the club Once I was at The club early 2000's to watch a interstate game dogs v westcoast
    and was told by the leader of the Cheer squad that I couldn't watch the game unless my hat was on backwards Absolute Flog!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickenitup View Post
    Great Move by the club Once I was at The club early 2000's to watch a interstate game dogs v westcoast
    and was told by the leader of the Cheer squad that I couldn't watch the game unless my hat was on backwards Absolute Flog!
    huh? um...did he say why?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

If I didn't know better, I'd say these stories are made up...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably thought he owned the social club the way he was acting.
    All cheer squad should have a warm friendly atmosphere and just like all things things need to be freshend up and a lot of clubs in the past few years have done this.

Post Thanks / Like

My experiences although very limited have been a bit different to the above.

Ive sat with them on interstate trips on a few occasions and have had positive experiences.

They even helped us out with a few things like holding up the huge "Free Todd Curley" sign after he got 4 weeks for bumping into an umpire. (persecuted anyone?)

The westcoast game they also helped get a few chants going like "Have another chardonnay" and "Stop sniffing the boundary line"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Hate it. They were not nice to a young HD.
    At that time more aptly described as UHD.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. Why not just hand normal fans some big flags, and get the club to organise some cheer leaders? Then you could have new ones every week, some interesting characters or personalities.
    Maybe it will grow organically.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I'm imagining that the club already has some ideas of a few people that are keen and they want to be involved

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest gripe with the cheer squad is that the "CHANTS" are ALWAYS the same " 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 , 3, 2, 1 BULLDOGS (clap, clap, clap etc....) the young lady who does the chant seems to be the only one who can actually yell loud enough. I sit in Aisle 22 and we are louder than the cheer squad. What they need are some NEW CHANTS... whatever happened to the chant :- "WHO DO WE BARRACK FOR?, (Bulldogs) "WHO'S GUNNA WIN TODAY? (bULLDOGS) & "how do you spell it?" ( B-U-L-L-D-O-G-S ) I was in the cheer squad from age 9 - 28, (quite a few years back now) wasn't happy with the way it was being run so I dropped out.

Post Thanks / Like

What happened to the bloke with the massive mohawk that was promised a new set of teeth by Sam on The Footy Show? Think his name might have been Adam? He always had plenty of different chants, even if he was belting them out by himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cricho54 View Post
    What happened to the bloke with the massive mohawk that was promised a new set of teeth by Sam on The Footy Show? Think his name might have been Adam? He always had plenty of different chants, even if he was belting them out by himself.
    He was very good, sadly had some health issues and I hope he is doing well.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cricho54 View Post
    Posted on here as dadruid but hasn't been on in ages
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff