Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rate a club in 2014: Essendon

There's lots to dislike about the Bomber's chances in 2014.

Their temporary coach never wanted to coach full time again.

ASADA sanctions hang over the heads of some players.

They lost their leading goal kicker and perhaps de facto CHF to a far more respectable team.

That plus losing their draft picks, they may be weaker on paper next season although like all teams their younger players will improve.

To make say the bottom 8, they will facing improving teams like North and the Tigers.

So all that doesn't look too flash. However, I assume that there must be a burning fire among the playing group to get revenge for being booted from the finals.

Thoughts?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rate a club in 2014: Essendon

Tend to think they will improve with the drugs stuff behind them. It's a pretty long list you've compiled but it was much worse in 2013 and they did alright.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I think they'll make the eight, unfortunately
    This will galvanise them and they've developed a good list, although I think Crameri's a big loss.( puts pressure on young Daniher ) Chapman will be handy if fit, but if Watson goes down there in serious hurt.
    5 to 8 region for mine

Post Thanks / Like

I can't really get a good read on Essendon. They seem to play some really good football but I'm not convinced the talent on their list stacks up against some of the better sides.

I think they're likely to make the 8 but I can't see them being genuine contenders this year.

Losing Crameri really hurts them and whilst they have some star quality in Watson and Goddard they still have a few too many plodders who have their moments but aren't consistently good performers.

6-10.

Post Thanks / Like

I have them 7-10.

I think as usual they'll come out of the blocks hard, but will fall in a heap after about round 15. Depending how many games they can win early on they may sneak into the 8. If they do they'll be making up the numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

I have them making the 8, in the lower half of it.

What's really being undersold in all of the drama is that they've massively traded up in the coaching department. And according to Melbourne, that's the only thing required to totally turn a side around.

Losing Crameri hurts, but their midfield is still pretty great so a sub par forward line will still get plenty of looks. I'd be more worried about their back six; the REAL dirty little secret about Essendon is that Fletcher, Hurley and Carlisle all kind of suck.

Bottom half of the 8, but enough questions to stop there.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I rate them as a pack of dirty, lowdown, cheating pricks.

Am I doing it right?

Seriously though, I feel they lack midfield class and they rely on a manic game style which is hard to maintain. If Hurley plays down back and stays fit and Daniher steps up they may be middle of the road.

Post Thanks / Like

I I don't rate them but year after year they defy me and them to maker the 8. This year I am going to buck the trend and tip them to make the 8. Somewhere between 5-8.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I can't really get a good read on Essendon. They seem to play some really good football but I'm not convinced the talent on their list stacks up against some of the better sides.

I think they're likely to make the 8 but I can't see them being genuine contenders this year.

Losing Crameri really hurts them and whilst they have some star quality in Watson and Goddard they still have a few too many plodders who have their moments but aren't consistently good performers.

6-10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I have them 7-10.

I think as usual they'll come out of the blocks hard, but will fall in a heap after about round 15. Depending how many games they can win early on they may sneak into the 8. If they do they'll be making up the numbers.
    Agree with both of these.

They always start the season well, but IMO they don't have the depth to cover injuries and form dips to be a genuine contender. Losing Crameri will sting, Hurley isn't a forward and their midfield struggles against the best (Watson the exception).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    There's lots to dislike about the Bomber's chances in 2014.

Their temporary coach never wanted to coach full time again.

ASADA sanctions hang over the heads of some players.

They lost their leading goal kicker and perhaps de facto CHF to a far more respectable team.

That plus losing their draft picks, they may be weaker on paper next season although like all teams their younger players will improve.

To make say the bottom 8, they will facing improving teams like North and the Tigers.

So all that doesn't look too flash. However, I assume that there must be a burning fire among the playing group to get revenge for being booted from the finals.

Thoughts?
    Dislike? I'm rapt with everything you listed

They'll struggle, then bounce back hard in 2015.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we change the thread title to Hate a club in 2014: Essendon..

I'd much prefer to read how posters can help us get better at that.

Post Thanks / Like

Sidebar: Given that they've both proven to not give a shit about anyone but themselves, how great would it be if one year at the helm causes Thompson to "regain the passion" or whatever for senior coaching?

He'd totally try to knife Hird and it would be amazing.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Rate a club in 2014: Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Sidebar: Given that they've both proven to not give a shit about anyone but themselves, how great would it be if one year at the helm causes Thompson to "regain the passion" or whatever for senior coaching?

He'd totally try to knife Hird and it would be amazing.

Please let that happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Please let that happen.
    That would be fantastic. Fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a pity Shakespeare is dead. He'd have a ball.