Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn, Fremantle and Sydney

Can anyone see another team challenging Hawthorn, Fremantle or Sydney for spots in this year Grand Final?

To me even with Hawthorn losing Buddy Franklin they will need a rough patch during the year not to be a genuine contender again.

Fremantle are just so even across the park and play a very disciplined team orientated style that just unsettles opposition sides.

And with Sydney getting Franklin they have a sensational forward line that should have them as one of the higher scoring sides during the year.

Can any other team else mount a challenge? Which team do you think will win the flag this year?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn, Fremantle and Sydney

No love for Fremantle? Any of last year's top 6 could be in it again. I like Freo's work ethic and they fly under the radar a bit.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    No love for Fremantle? Any of last year's top 6 could be in it again. I like Freo's work ethic and they fly under the radar a bit.
    Freo was included in the original post, so not sure where you are coming from.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see if being any other than the three teams you have named.

All of them have strong lists and are well coached.

Geelong are the other side that I always find it hard to write off and could potentially challenge. I know their age profile is getting on and they've lost some more players from last season, but they have a strong home ground advantage and with a good run of injuries should be around the top 4 mark again.

If I had to pick a side to win the flag right now, I'd go with Sydney.

Post Thanks / Like

I think those three. Sydney, despite some nonsense trotted out about Buddy will improve.
    Hawthorn might slip slightly ( ageing mids and Buddy loss will put more pressure on others)
    Freo are coached by Lyon ( they'll be there or thereabouts)

Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn tradionally struggle the year after they have won a flag and I can see them struggling again. Buddy's gone, their list is a year older, the coach's message has been heard more often.

If anyone other than Lyon was coaching Freo I'd say watch for some complacency but I can't see that being a problem.

Sydney have to have a bad year sooner or latter but with Buddy and Tippett running around or them it ain't going to be anytime soon.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Hawthorn tradionally struggle the year after they have won a flag and I can see them struggling again. Buddy's gone, their list is a year older, the coach's message has been heard more often.

If anyone other than Lyon was coaching Freo I'd say watch for some complacency but I can't see that being a problem.

Sydney have to have a bad year sooner or latter but with Buddy and Tippett running around or them it ain't going to be anytime soon.
    I'm unaware of Hawthorn's history but I was surprised by your statement that they "traditionally" struggle the year after a premiership. Apart from 2009 when have they struggled previously?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I'm unaware of Hawthorn's history but I was surprised by your statement that they "traditionally" struggle the year after a premiership. Apart from 2009 when have they struggled previously?
    Sorry it took a while:

1961 premiers, 1962 ninth.
    1971, 1972 sixth
    1976, 1977 third
    1978, 1979 sixth
    1983 , 1984 second
    1986, 1987 second
    1988, 1989 premiers
    1989, 1990 fifth
    1991, 1992 sixth
    2008, 2009 ninth.

So they've missed he finals completely 4 times after winning a flag and twice went out in the first week. Apart from the power teams in the '80s they've had trouble backing up after a flag more often than not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Sorry it took a while:

1961 premiers, 1962 ninth.
    1971, 1972 sixth
    1976, 1977 third
    1978, 1979 sixth
    1983 , 1984 second
    1986, 1987 second
    1988, 1989 premiers
    1989, 1990 fifth
    1991, 1992 sixth
    2008, 2009 ninth.

So they've missed he finals completely 4 times after winning a flag and twice went out in the first week. Apart from the power teams in the '80s they've had trouble backing up after a flag more often than not.
    Lets hope it happens again. They do have an ageing midfieled which will be where they will fall over in 2014,
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lets hope it happens again. They do have an ageing midfieled which will be where they will fall over in 2014,
    After putting up with my father-in-law at Christmas for a week, I'd be ecstatic if they never made it again.
    After not seeing him for 12 months his first words were "G'day and now I can shake your hand and thank you for Brian Lake and the flag in person."
    Between him and other in-laws it was a was a long three weeks.
    Last edited by KT31; 17-01-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    After putting up with my father-in-law at Christmas for a week, I'd be ecstatic if they never made it again.
    After not seeing him for 12 months his first words were "G'day and now I can shake your hand and thank you for Brian Lake and the flag in person."
    Between him and other in-laws it was a was a long three weeks.

Two words. Nathan Hrovat.

langers1971 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    they are trying to rotate more players through the midfield now which can only help them. Last year Mitchell played predominately half back with an occasional stint in the midfield.