Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Untouchable Bulldog Players

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    People like me? Just because I don't like naming my fav bulldogs jumper or wishing Rob Murphy well? I don't think Brian Harris is the 'premier fb' in the comp, whats wrong with a different point of view and a sh*T stir?
    The different point of view is fine as long as you go to the effort of supporting it with some valid reasons. This hasn't been a strong point of yours.

If you are just coming on just to stir and make distasteful comments like you did with Mainwaring then you can ply your trade elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

People like me? Just because I don't like naming my fav bulldogs jumper or wishing Rob Murphy well? I don't think Brian Harris is the 'premier fb' in the comp, whats wrong with a different point of view and a sh*T stir?
    Which part of the word supporter don't you understand?
    I'm sure we've all got negative opinions of some players on the list and I understand not wanting to contribute to "twee" threads like the Murphy baby one. However to call the player who just won our B&F a liability makes me wonder exactly what you are getting out of "contributing" to this board. I agree he isn't the premier fb in the comp but I thought Harris worked manfully this year often in a backline that was bombarded because of constant midfield and defensive turnovers. Sure he may be a level below Glass, Scarlett and Rutten, but you'll find that those guys have excellent support from their fellow backs and the mids especially in Geelong's case. Harris' marking on the last line was incredibly important this year and saved more goals than he might have been responsible for giving away. Yes he still puts in the occassional shocker but his consistency and discipline have improved out of sight.
    I don't understand why you'd want to shit-stir on a board made up purely of other Dogs supporters. I understand putting your thoughts, be they negative or otherwise, into context during a discussion, but to just try and piss people off when we're all part of a common cause seems to make you part of a problem nobody here wants to put up with. The nature of the board means that some people are going to have rosier views of certain players than they probably deserve but that's part of the attachment we all share to our club.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Harris isn't helped by fellow backline players and a lack of defensive midfield pressure. Nice post by the way Underdog

Ipaidmy200in89 Guest

No one is untouchable.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it was more. You cannot rely on him. My bum twitches when he gets the ball
    This is way more information than I need.
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Harris isn't helped by fellow backline players and a lack of defensive midfield pressure. Nice post by the way Underdog
    Hopefully this year we'll have a more cohesive unit and better defensive pressure from our mids so that his job is easier. Also hopefully a full pre-season and some more games into Williams and players hitting targets when they run off their man.
    We all know there were problems with the team at the end of the year, we have to have some faith that these will be worked on over the pre-season.
    Cheers.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Hopefully this year we'll have a more cohesive unit and better defensive pressure from our mids so that his job is easier. Also hopefully a full pre-season and some more games into Williams and players hitting targets when they run off their man.
    We all know there were problems with the team at the end of the year, we have to have some faith that these will be worked on over the pre-season.
    Cheers.
    More importantly is the lack of defensive effort from the forwards, it all snowballs from there.

The forwards as a group must lift there defensive output.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    More importantly is the lack of defensive effort from the forwards, it all snowballs from there.

The forwards as a group must lift there defensive output.
    I agree and this is a place where Johnno can set a standard as captain. It's never been a strength of his game & if he comes out early in the season and starts chasing hard and putting pressure on it'll send a real positive message to the rest of the team that this is what's required. He doesn't have a lot of deficiencies but this is certainly a way he can improve.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe someone thinks that Harris failed to contain FF's this year. I'd like to know 5 games where he was soundly beaten and have that backed up by facts.

Post Thanks / Like

Should we consider having a "defensive forward"?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Robbins part 2?

IMO no but we need to force our players to be more accountable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Robbins part 2?

IMO no but we need to force our players to be more accountable.
    Was about to say!
    Maybe if we moves Shaggy up forward he could do a bit of defensive work?
    I dont really see the use in recruiting a specific defensive forward, maybe Higgins or one of the smaller forwards could be used more defensively.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    It's not just one players responsibility, each and every player no matter what position they play need to improve the defensive aspects of their game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It's not just one players responsibility, each and every player no matter what position they play need to improve the defensive aspects of their game.
    Fully agree but I tend to think that sometime can really set the on field tempo for the others. A couple of years back when Robbo was doing it brilliantly, the others used to lift a bit as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Fully agree but I tend to think that sometime can really set the on field tempo for the others. A couple of years back when Robbo was doing it brilliantly, the others used to lift a bit as well.
    Fair enough, if you look at the other teams who have this defensive type who sets the tone for the others to follow you invariably find this player to be an aboriginal. Aboriginal seem to like these run downs as they are blessed normally with blistering pace .ie. the Davey boys, Hooper, etc..

By this reckoning I would look to Harbrow and Lynch to fill this role over the coming years.