Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lonergan says Bulldogs should play in Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Cool,
    But I thought if we had crowds under 25,000 at the MCG we lose money. Isn't Etihad capped?
    How many games a year would we need for the required amount of exposure?
    Not sure how it would work but surely we would make more profit there than with our current Etihad deal as it is. I see no reason why we can't at least play 1 home game there.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Playing a few games a year at the MCG would be great ED, but once again, why would the AFL grant us permission to do it if there's no significant benefit to the AFL?

They need the tenant clubs playing at Docklands at all times as the stadium's rental rights need to be paid by someone. The only reason they tolerate us selling games to Darwin, Cairns, Canberra etc. is because these are considered development markets. It's basically an acknowledgement from the AFL that we're being screwed over at Docklands, and an easily justified way for us to get a few extra dollars in lieu of actually having to stick their necks out and renegotiating with Stadium Management to ensure Docklands tenants earn a fair quid.

I just can't see the MCG option ever being viable for us, irrespective of how well it might prepare us for future years when we climb the ladder again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Playing a few games a year at the MCG would be great ED, but once again, why would the AFL grant us permission to do it if there's no significant benefit to the AFL?

They need the tenant clubs playing at Docklands at all times as the stadium's rental rights need to be paid by someone. The only reason they tolerate us selling games to Darwin, Cairns, Canberra etc. is because these are considered development markets. It's basically an acknowledgement from the AFL that we're being screwed over at Docklands, and an easily justified way for us to get a few extra dollars in lieu of actually having to stick their necks out and renegotiating with Stadium Management to ensure Docklands tenants earn a fair quid.

I just can't see the MCG option ever being viable for us, irrespective of how well it might prepare us for future years when we climb the ladder again.
    Even so jeemak surely we can get 1 home game at least there per season. I know St Kilda played a home game there last season so there is no reason why we shouldn't follow suit. Do you reckon when the AFL buy out Etihad that we can then finally get a good deal there which helps our revenue.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if a consortium of clubs could band together and buy Docklands?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Quite possibly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Even so jeemak surely we can get 1 home game at least there per season. I know St Kilda played a home game there last season so there is no reason why we shouldn't follow suit.
    I disagree.

In the first place StKilda are no more or less stable as a club off-field than we are, so they are hardly an example to be following. Secondly, overheads are still high at the MCG, and withough the safety net of a guaranteed return at Etihad we will more than likely lose money by playing there. Thirdly, you only need look at most of Melbourne's home games to see what a low drawing team playing games at the MCG looks like. It makes for a miserable sight seeing sparsely filled grandstands and it is hardly the image our club wants or needs when our games are broadcast on TV.

I know you mean well and I genuinely believe you love this club, but seriously ED, your obsession with the MCG is blinding you to the realities facing our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Not sure how it would work but surely we would make more profit there than with our current Etihad deal as it is. I see no reason why we can't at least play 1 home game there.
    I think Westdog sums up what I was saying Easty. I love your passion, but this particular idea isn't the strongest one.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Couldn't see it happening ( although ideal)
    A few clubs are pretty skint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Couldn't see it happening ( although ideal)
    A few clubs are pretty skint
    Hypothetically if something like that was going to happen how would it be exactly done by the clubs. I would guess each club that comes together would pay an equal share.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I can't see a financial institution in the world that is going to lend $250 million to a handful of clubs who are borderline insolvent. It's just not realistic.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Personally I can't see a financial institution in the world that is going to lend $250 million to a handful of clubs who are borderline insolvent. It's just not realistic.
    Boo

I agree, I think any rogue traders able to facilitate this would be Carlton members.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023