Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Footy Industry Business Practices & Strategy

I thought I'd start a discussion on 'the business' and 'strategy' for all AFL clubs, including ours. All business related question & conversations welcome.

I'll kick off with the first matter of business, being front loading player contracts.

Owing to the free agency rules with regard to payments in defining the status of restricted or unrestricted FA, will we see a move away from this?

Example 1 is James Frawley at Melbourne. He was so top heavy that his playing price so this (his final) year is so low he is 'unrestricted' meaning he is free to walk without Melbourne matching the offer. So as a case study on front loading it shows two main problems, a) he walks free of charge, or b) he gets paid overs because his manager has them over a barrel.

I understand the circumstances in Frawley's and Melbourne's were unique and an extreme example, but it's a warning to heavily front loading on a player that at contracts end falls under FA rules.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footy Industry Business Practices & Strategy

Didn't realise that existed to be honest.
    Wondering what People think of,going after Frawley?
    With Morris coming to and end could be an option for us.
    Back line of Roughy, Talia, and Frawley.

Post Thanks / Like

As a related topic, re-signing players coming into a free agency window.

Example, Adelaide have re-signed Walker in the year before his last year, in so much as he never became available as a free agent this year.

Is this going to be the way ahead. Ie signing a player to 4 years, when ordinarily it would be 3 years and gambling the 4th year's salary against the player walking out. If free agency compensation is relaxed or removed, then the clubs need to have a strategy to keep them. From a subtle pressure perspective, a player in this scenario would need to put off contract negotiations for 18-24 months which is an invidious position if they want to explore options.

From the example above, Melbourne have not thought through the FA impact on player retention and re-signing player contracts. I think this aspect of running a footy business is quite interesting.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The big contract is back in vogue with F/A.
    Eyebrows were raised when Sydney signed Reid for 5 years( once again Sydney ahead of the game)
    I think we'll see 24 year olds signing 5 year contracts and not batter an eyelid from now on.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard the AFL has changed the rules regarding contract years due to the Franklin contract, didn't hear what the new rules are though
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

From the example above, Melbourne have not thought through the FA impact on player retention and re-signing player contracts. I think this aspect of running a footy business is quite interesting.
    Melbourne front loaded a number of contracts when the cleared the decks of the experienced players and stock piled a number of early draft picks. All sounds like a long term plan.
    The problem they are now faced with is the likes of James Frawley weren't in the 10 highest paid at the club last year and as a result is now a FA. Far from ideal.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see players ever agreeing to back loading contracts so to me this loophole will see Managers (and probably the Players Association) pushing hard for player wage increases as part of contract negotiations (especially if clubs start whinging about losing players).

AFL players are some of the worse paid players in World Sport and really given large-scale pay per view deals and merchandising they are the ones who ultimately pay the sport back millions over what they are actually getting paid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Melbourne front loaded a number of contracts when the cleared the decks of the experienced players and stock piled a number of early draft picks. All sounds like a long term plan.
    The problem they are now faced with is the likes of James Frawley weren't in the 10 highest paid at the club last year and as a result is now a FA. Far from ideal.
    Yep. There's a difference between trying to rebuild and being extremely long-sighted.

Melbourne have of course compounded their own misery by whiffing on almost all of their stockpiled picks, and have to pretty much start all over again..
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

As an aside, even with a front end contract, given the current state of their list who are the 10 guys that could possibly be getting more than Frawley?

Clarke, Trengove, Watts, Jones? Maybe Jamar?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    As an aside, even with a front end contract, given the current state of their list who are the 10 guys that could possibly be getting more than Frawley?

Clarke, Trengove, Watts, Jones? Maybe Jamar?
    Dawes, so that's about 6??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Dawes, so that's about 6??
    Demigod Roos aside, I'm still sure they're going to be a trash fire this season.

Post Thanks / Like

As an example, Jason Akermanis (without the baggage) was nowhere near top 10 at Brisbane. They were obviously happy to sign him up at the lowest dollar figure. What this us demonstrating, I think, is that you need to protect the best 10 players on a rotating basis with the year the contract ends. Front loading, back loading, happily accepting under market rates all seems problematic to player the best player retention. Obviously some clubs are either still coming to grips with it, or coming accropper like Melbourne. Frawley may still stay on there, but why assume any risk you don't need to?