Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale Morris, one-match sanction with an early plea.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-1...ent-round-four
    Dale Morris, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with a Level Three tripping offence (225 demerit points, two-match sanction) for tripping Will Hoskin-Elliott, Greater Western Sydney, during the first quarter of the Round Four match between the Western Bulldogs and Greater Western Sydney, played at Startrack Oval on Saturday April 12, 2014.

In summary, due to a six-year good record, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Greater Western Sydney Football Club, the incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), high impact (three points) and body contact (one point). This is a total of six activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Three Offence, drawing 225 demerit points. He has an existing six-year good record, reducing the penalty by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 126.56 points and a one-match sanction.
    Libba wasn't reviewed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dale Morris, one-match sanction with an early plea.

Gives him an extra week to recover from the ankle strain. It was a stupid act and he has paid the price.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

People will be angry because others have got away with reprimands this season. But this is different because it caused injury to Hosken-Elliot.

It's a shame but a fair decision imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    People will be angry because others have got away with reprimands this season. But this is different because it caused injury to Hosken-Elliot.

It's a shame but a fair decision imo.
    Agree with that.

Tripping is a serious thing. I will never forget how Fossey was tripped up by that dickhead from Hawthorn (whose name escapes me, was it Dear?) which wrecked his 1992 season and we ended up not having Fossy for the 1992 Prelim. Put Fossey in there against Brownless and we had a big chance to win and make the GF.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The week is fair. It's just frustrating that the panel places more emphasis on the end result rather than the intent ie. Riewoldt made exactly the same action when tripping Libba.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cricho54 View Post
    The week is fair. It's just frustrating that the panel places more emphasis on the end result rather than the intent ie. Riewoldt made exactly the same action when tripping Libba.
    Yeah I hate this as well. It puts too much of the penalty not on what the player tried to do but rather just how unlucky the player on the receiving end was.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Yeah I hate this as well. It puts too much of the penalty not on what the player tried to do but rather just how unlucky the player on the receiving end was.
    And didn't Merrett only get two weeks for his forearm to David Swallows face? It's just ludicrous.

Post Thanks / Like

Did Wellingham at the Weagles get anything in Rd:1 for the trip on JJ?!?! at least Morris tried to use his arms as well (showing it was a reflex action) whilst Wellingham tried to see how far he could stick his leg out!

The precedent was set in Rd: 1 (which I did not agree with at the time) but you can't change it a few weeks later. A total lack of consistency.

Post Thanks / Like

What crap. How can a reflex action be judged as 'reckless'? Every week some poor bloke accidentally trips someone and has to face the MRP. Don't get me wrong, intentional tripping should be met with severe penalties, but this is unavoidable. Penalising blokes isn't going to lessen the number of reflex trips.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

How can Dale be suspended for a trip when Wellingham and Jack are not? Why does the injury get taken into account, it wasn't last year when Cameron ended JJ's season with a reckless charge. We all know he lined him up. MRP=JOKE

Post Thanks / Like

Whether you punch someone in the face with a feather punch or you do it Barry Hall style it matters.

If Barry got 1 or 2 weeks for decking Staker we'd all laugh, so it has to apply if you make more of an impact.

Post Thanks / Like

Not happy with this. At least he also put his hand out to try and tackle as opposed to some of the others previously let go by the MRP. Total crap IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Jaytee but that logic and acceptance of it is a blight on the game.

Why should the consequence of an act be reliant on the durability of the victim? Campbell Brown assaulted Callan Ward, a bloke with a notoriously hard head a few years ago. Had he have assaulted a bloke with a glass jaw, should he have been charged more heavily? It takes the emphasis off the act, a controllable and tangible thing and put the weight on what is effectively, chance. It isn't good enough and only encourages shit behaviour on the field.

Tripping is a serious act. Morris deserves his week off for potentially injuring an opponent with an illegal act as per the rules of the game which should draw a free kick, 50m and report on the spot depending on the context. Wellingham, Riedwoldt and Morris have committed the same act. They'd all argue the in vogue and often validated "it was a reflex" and the media who love letting people get away with shit behaviour because of a boys club attitude, or they're too scared to call it out, will agree. Reflex or not, that act deserves a penalty. They all have capacity to injure, seriously. Only one player will miss weeks though. This, even factoring in weighting system and good behaviour allowances, of which I'm certain Morris would have much greater access to than his aforementioned comrades.

Anyway, next time I go play footy, I think I'll go stomp on a bloke's back. But not too hard. Maybe not just any bloke, maybe J. Brown because he can take it. Or pull someones' hair? Or "jumper" punch someone. Then I can sit back and snigger at some bloke who will get weeks for a well executed bump where the opponent's head hits the turf and they get a concussion.

Mark Fraser, the MRP the people who lobbied for it, the people who value it. Get out of the game, now. You're all imbeciles.

Post Thanks / Like

May miss a week with injury anyway so I don't see the point reviewing and rolling the dice

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get how the injury is of any significance.
    It's basically a luck situation.
    It's inconsistent. Mayne two weeks, Merrett 2 weeks?
    I think they'll accept the verdict, but a trip is a trip.