Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just Another Philosophical Thread

When the adults are swallowing it whole the kids don't have a hope in hell.

The victims here are the 17 other teams who are working within the rules and have to put up with baseless allegations of "well all the clubs are doing it, why are we the only ones being looked at?"
    Last edited by westdog54; 14-06-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    When the adults are swallowing it woke the kids don't have a hope in hell.

The victims here are the 17 other teams who are working within the rules and have to put up with baseless allegations of "well all the clubs are doing it, why are we the only ones being looked at?"
    Yep, I don't understand how clubs can try to brainwash their fans, especially kids. The same attitude was present at the time Carlton finally got done for salary cap rorting. Any wonder those two teams pretty much have the worst behaved crowds, because everything seems defendable when you've grown up with these messages. This is what I mean about our lessons as people growing up bulldog.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

That is simply a great post BT. I have been in the west for 32 years and am often asked "Why don't you barrack for the Eagles ?" They don't understand....they have to be joking ! As a 5 year old from Kingsville I was in the grandstand with my mother and aunt (who lived in Gordon st) when Charlie Sutton was coach. I saw the incomparable Ted Whitten in the 60's. I saw Bernie Quinlan and Barry Round play their first game. I see the loyalty and honesty at this club - of the supporters and of those players who never left just for a paycheck - Grant, West, Johnson, Smith. I have stood in the outer as a teenager at Glenferrie oval, soaked and cold as Hawthorn demolished us. In the forward pocket of the outer at the Mount Mistake end with a few mates, each with a cold can in one hand and a boiling hot pie dribbling over the other. They were in old jeans, old jackets with sandshoes that wouldn't be fit for a day crabbing. During the week they just happened to be captains of industry. 24/7 they were mad Bulldogs supporters. I got over for the Freo game recently, the crowd was sparse and of course we lost. Level 1 at the Coventry end was semi deserted but I barracked and I yelled for the Dogs just as I had done since I was a kid...........barrack for anyone else ? They must be joking.......

4. Likes merantau, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

westbulldog terrific addition to a great thread. Thanks for sharing.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The Dogs fit perfectly with my values when it comes to sport because it's not about winning at all. It's how you fight.

That's why Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, West Coast, etc. will never understand it, never really appreciate the beauty of sport, the very reason we get something personally from watching a bunch of blokes kick a leather clad balloon around.

This won't change even if we never win a flag. It's watching the journey that enriches my life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    The Dogs fit perfectly with my values when it comes to sport because it's not about winning at all. It's how you fight.

That's why Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, West Coast, etc. will never understand it, never really appreciate the beauty of sport, the very reason we get something personally from watching a bunch of blokes kick a leather clad balloon around.

This won't change even if we never win a flag. It's watching the journey that enriches my life.
    and why the win over Collingwood is just special as that fight comes out when so many think we have no chance. Amazing how wins in lean years or so enjoyable.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    That is simply a great post BT. I have been in the west for 32 years and am often asked "Why don't you barrack for the Eagles ?" They don't understand....they have to be joking ! As a 5 year old from Kingsville I was in the grandstand with my mother and aunt (who lived in Gordon st) when Charlie Sutton was coach. I saw the incomparable Ted Whitten in the 60's. I saw Bernie Quinlan and Barry Round play their first game. I see the loyalty and honesty at this club - of the supporters and of those players who never left just for a paycheck - Grant, West, Johnson, Smith. I have stood in the outer as a teenager at Glenferrie oval, soaked and cold as Hawthorn demolished us. In the forward pocket of the outer at the Mount Mistake end with a few mates, each with a cold can in one hand and a boiling hot pie dribbling over the other. They were in old jeans, old jackets with sandshoes that wouldn't be fit for a day crabbing. During the week they just happened to be captains of industry. 24/7 they were mad Bulldogs supporters. I got over for the Freo game recently, the crowd was sparse and of course we lost. Level 1 at the Coventry end was semi deserted but I barracked and I yelled for the Dogs just as I had done since I was a kid...........barrack for anyone else ? They must be joking.......
    Thanks westbulldog, I appreciate someone saying something about me not negative. I'm glad I've tapped into something, because for me it's been a journey from the beginning. For 5 seconds I almost thought about following the Hawks because am my mates were because they didn't lose, but my family were good valued people and Footscray represented my family, and our generations of working class struggle in the Western Suburbs. They are me, and I am them and no matter happens we always have this. People not from our journey will say it's a cop out, but sport is not always about winning. Some of the most memorable moments in Australian sport is not simply winning, it's the story, struggle and people may attempt humour by talking about 1 flag. But our history is choc full of amazing moments and life lessons. Not to steal anyone else's life lessons, Chris Grant told me there was more to life than money and loyalty was another form of currency. This feeling in my values system was what broke when Nat Brown left. It just seemed wrong with what I thought it meant to be bulldog. This club is on a journey, has been since we kicked everyones arse in the VFA. I don't think rusted on members who don't renew (for non monetary reasons) get this part of being bulldog too. The journey and people along the way is everything, there are always life lessons big reputations like Alan Joyce didn't equate to success, money isn't everything, winning isn't everything and so on. Some of us might be more positive, some like me like to ask questions and some can have no patience. But if we are all on this journey together then giddy up. As a metaphor, new memberships are like people betting on the bulldogs to win a premiership. There's not many, but as we become more successful and the odds tighten more bets/members will get on. If we do get the flag the next cycle, those who got in with two years will get a massive return on investment. Those of us who bet on us from the beginning will get the biggest emotional return of any member in Australian sport and I'm not missing out on it. I can only hope more ex-members get to understand this. That we learn great life skills and perspective along our journey is a bonus.

(P.s. As to those who don't like I talk about a myriad of things, ask questions or disagree, feel equally free to pass judgement on this thread.)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to keep this on the down low for my fellow woofers, so I've put it in a thread that that doesn't reflect the obvious tid bit. Don't ask me how I know, but it's somehow got to me that an AFL list manager who is not ours seems to have requested a highlights package on a relatively unknown kid from Tassie. Which was made on the very, very down low after an impressive screening. But the video has made its way onto YouTube to little attention and I'm not expecting Gangnam Style like hits on the video. Hopefully, somehow, the lid my be blown off this attempt to hide him and get this kid very late or even rookie draft. There seems to be have been a concerted effort to keep him hidden from the other 17 teams. But if it's come to this forums attention, then his name might be one to watch out for come draft time. By the way, he's said to study Bob Murphy very closely and trying to model such a game. I also understand his agility and sprints are classified "elite" by the testers. He might not be what we need, and bugger them hiding him, but what do you think of the kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEcK...ature=youtu.be

10. Thanks Happy Days, merantau thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BT, you're a master of the understated pump ups of players. Donnelly has come a long way since he played for the Tassie Mariners in 2013 and he's now an accomplished attacking defender.

He rated a mention on here but I think he has gone unnoticed by many.

You have probably blown the lid off now

Post Thanks / Like

BT. We have been trying to keep him quiet all year and you name him a week out from the draft.

Mate!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good BT. Very balanced on the move
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    BT. We have been trying to keep him quiet all year and you name him a week out from the draft.

Mate!
    Someone else was trying to keep him even quieter and I'd super spew if they got him dirt cheap. I figure it evens the field of market value for us or them. Forget Emma Quayle or Cal Towmey this year and last. I got Tom Boyd last year and found SD this year. I should really be put on someone's payroll...

15. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Looks good BT. Very balanced on the move
    Do you think he is a player who could be drafted?

Post Thanks / Like

You're a sharp one BT, reckon you've let the cat out of the bag for some club.

He played 18 games in the TFL last year and got in the best players 10 times. That's off the charts!!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    You're a sharp one BT, reckon you've let the cat out of the bag for some club.

He played 18 games in the TFL last year and got in the best players 10 times. That's off the charts!!
    I just did a bit of a search and found that he was tagged about 3 times late in the year. Not many defenders in state leagues get tagged unless they have wrecked some havoc earlier in the season and teams don't want to get burned a 2nd time.

From memory he was mainly a winger when he played for the Mariners but a spot in the back six looks to be his go.