Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli close to AFL debut

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Love his size and build, we have picked a beauty there.
    Agree .. think he showed some glimpses of a class act to watch in the future.
    Didnt think he was in our best 12 let alone in the votes like some woofers but plenty of excitement to come

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the coaches show Koby how to deal with pressure and take the hits. There's been so much panic handballing this season he stood out like a beacon. In his first game mind you.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So just like that, seven years and a precocious flag later, the Bont is suddenly 25 ...

Time to make some hay.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    So just like that, seven years and a precocious flag later, the Bont is suddenly 25 ...

Time to make some hay.
    We can't keep fluffing around with our game plans and line-ups, we have 2 years to really make another push for the flag
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes Sedat, Bulldog Joe, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We can't keep fluffing around with our game plans and line-ups, we have 2 years to really make another push for the flag
    Fingers crossed the window extends longer than the next couple of years but in furious agreement, it's time.

Less faffing, moar flags.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

7. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where do we see the remainder of Bont's career going in terms of role in the team?

Is he a midfielder/sometimes forward for the rest of his career?

Does he gradually spend more and more time forward and end up a centre half forward type from 29-32?

Or late in his career does he begin patrolling half back and set up the play for us? (probably the least likely....but it has crossed my mind before whether he could play that role very late in his career).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Where do we see the remainder of Bont's career going in terms of role in the team?

Does he gradually spend more and more time forward and end up a centre half forward type from 29-32?

Or late in his career does he begin patrolling half back and set up the play for us? (probably the least likely....but it has crossed my mind before whether he could play that role very late in his career).
    Gradually spend more time forward and end up a CHF for mine. The only problem I see is players that play across half forward absorb a lot of punishment from defenders (and teammates) running into them as they run back with the flight of the ball but then players who spend their entire career in the midfield tend to end up with bad knees.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

He could do a lot worse than follow the career trajectory of Dustin Martin, and to a lesser extent, Dangerfield. Basically play anywhere he wants forward of centre. I'd like to see him challenged to keep raising his game and become an absolute legend of the game. After a slow and frankly poor start to the season, his 2nd half of 2020 was pure beast mode and best in the entire competition - he has that in him to etch his name on the game forever.
    Last edited by Sedat; 25-11-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes Happy Days, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we only have to look at what Freo is doing with Fyfe to know the answer to that. Very similar player with very similar importance to the team's success.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He could do a lot worse than follow the career trajectory of Dustin Martin, and to a lesser extent, Dangerfield. Basically play anywhere he wants forward of centre. I'd like to see him challenged to keep raising his game and become an absolute legend of the game. After a slow and frankly poor start to the season, his 2nd half of 2020 was pure beast mode and best in the entire competition - he has that in him to etch his name on the game forever.
    You forget that scintillating form in the JLT ANSETT NAB WIZARD cup v Norf !

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like The Bont in the middle, because he makes things happen. The long raking left foot kick into the forward line is a real weapon.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I like The Bont in the middle, because he makes things happen. The long raking left foot kick into the forward line is a real weapon.
    Yep. That’s my view also. But I don’t want to see him inside D50 unless it’s in the final minute of a quarter or match.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of him being the extra midfielder during latter stages within quarters and rolling back as required, with us playing a 4-5 man forward line at times.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.