Re: " Could've Beens. "

Tom Williams?

Post Thanks / Like

Zeno Tatzaris ... I thought he was going to be the next big thing
    WOOF Member 422

becmatty Guest

Mark West. He looked like The Predator and was smashing it up until suspension and injury cut his career short. In 97 or 98 he was splitting packs and charging through players like a machine and looked a marketing dream for the club. He missed a shot in the 97 final when steaming into an open goal against Adelaide that would have put us into the GF. If he had kicked it (post high) from 45 metres, I think anything could have happened, but it sailed just wide and inexplicedly his career seemed to combust from that moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Zeno Tatzaris ... I thought he was going to be the next big thing
    I'll do TCD's job here, you mean Tzatzaris.

Post Thanks / Like

Keenan Reynolds. Looked set to hold down CHB but after he kept Stewart Loewe quiet in the finals in the 90's I think he got a bit ahead of himself. Moved on to North Melbourne with no great impact.

Post Thanks / Like

Also wasn't Stuart Wigney the next Dermott Brereton?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by becmatty View Post
    Mark West. He looked like The Predator and was smashing it up until suspension and injury cut his career short. In 97 or 98 he was splitting packs and charging through players like a machine and looked a marketing dream for the club. He missed a shot in the 97 final when steaming into an open goal against Adelaide that would have put us into the GF. If he had kicked it (post high) from 45 metres, I think anything could have happened, but it sailed just wide and inexplicedly his career seemed to combust from that moment.
    Unfortunately West had a glass shoulder.

More often than not the wrecking ball ended up wrecked.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes...Stuart Wigney...a real coodabeen.

Richard Murrie was a wasted talent.......and John Georgiadis and Alan Jennings could have been the same player.

Steve Kretiuk ended up a great servant of the club but in his earlier years he looked like being so much more until those bloody hanstrings went to work.

When Steve Kolinuik first hit the scene he looked like he could be anything. Pace, creativity and confidence. Instead of a damaging on-baller he became an exciting forward pocket goalsneak. As good as he was, I always felt he never quite reached his early potential. He was also a bit like Leon Cameron in that I always felt more confident when he swung onto his wrong foot heading for goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post

When Steve Kolynuik first hit the scene he looked like he could be anything. Pace, creativity and confidence. Instead of a damaging on-baller he became an exciting forward pocket goalsneak. As good as he was, I always felt he never quite reached his early potential. He was also a bit like Leon Cameron in that I always felt more confident when he swung onto his wrong foot heading for goal.
    In 1992 he put together a string of 2 or 3 games which showed he could become a very damaging HF. IIRC he kicked 6 against Carlton at the G and another 4 against North (I think 4.6). He got picked for Victoria shortly after and then he went off the rails a little, probably didn't work hard enough on his fitness and subsequently he didn't reach his full potential.

Post Thanks / Like

Jimmy Plunkett.

Looked like he could be anything playing in the magoos - Terry Wallace said he lost track of the number of people who asked him when Jimmy was going to play...

One of those "in-between" players: far too good for Reserve grade, didn't cut it in the seniors.

Any think Tyson Lane fits here too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I'll do TCD's job here, you mean Tzatzaris.
    Cheers ... spelinks knot mye stron point ... And I'm a teacher

In my defence, look at the time i posted ... how is anyone supposed to be able to spell Tzatzaris at that ungodly hour
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Ted Whitten Jnr if he'd gone in harder.
    Not sure what you mean by that comment.

I wouldn't put him in the could"ve been category, I thought he was an above average player, and I think he played for the Big V.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

A player who I thought might have made it was John Ballantyne. He played full forward and could kick the ball out of sight. Played some terrific games with the ressies and kicked some mighty goals but couldn't quite put it together in the seniors.

Finished up at Collingwood playing full back for a brief time.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Alvey.

Taken high in the 97' draft IIRC and never justified the high draft pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxson42 View Post
    Keenan Reynolds. Looked set to hold down CHB but after he kept Stewart Loewe quiet in the finals in the 90's I think he got a bit ahead of himself. Moved on to North Melbourne with no great impact.
    Not really. Knowing he probably had only a couple of seasons more of regular senior football in front of him he couldn't knock back the dollars the Roos offered him. It was a mistake though because he couldn't find a spot in the side.

I liked him as a footballer and thought he was OK as a defender and reasonable as a forward.