Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: " Could've Beens. "

Hugh Reimers was a player that should have become a regular player in our senior line-up but a combination of injuries, form and coaches looking to make an impact did not work for him and he was curt after 2 fruitless seasons.

Given his height and mobility he would have been an ideal tall defender that we chased for so many years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by becmatty View Post
    Mark West. He looked like The Predator and was smashing it up until suspension and injury cut his career short. In 97 or 98 he was splitting packs and charging through players like a machine and looked a marketing dream for the club. He missed a shot in the 97 final when steaming into an open goal against Adelaide that would have put us into the GF. If he had kicked it (post high) from 45 metres, I think anything could have happened, but it sailed just wide and inexplicedly his career seemed to combust from that moment.
    He was about 30 out for that shot - a real shame his body didn't hold up

There were a few from that era like James Cook that should've given more.

I got excited by Patrick Wiggins after seeing him kick a few against Brisbane at the Western Oval one pre-season.....

I thought Keiran McGuinness was going to be something else.

Tim Walsh sans knee problems could've been something
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Not really. Knowing he probably had only a couple of seasons more of regular senior football in front of him he couldn't knock back the dollars the Roos offered him. It was a mistake though because he couldn't find a spot in the side.

I liked him as a footballer and thought he was OK as a defender and reasonable as a forward.
    Keenan is still dirty about leaving the Dogs. He has always blamed Joycie, says he didn't want to go but no contract was offered to him. Great bloke, used to take the piss out of Wheels when he got carried away. Famous for his "Where's the f***ing backmen", remark when Wheels had spent all his time yet again showing how to create goals.

Rather than an underachiever I would put him up as someone who through attitude got the most from his talent, afterall Essendon let us have him because they thought he couldn't play at all.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that comment.

I wouldn't put him in the could"ve been category, I thought he was an above average player, and I think he played for the Big V.
    Ted jnr wasn't as good as his dad, but then no body before or since has been. Young Ted carried the unbelieveable expectations that he would be the equivalent of the second coming.

He played about 150 games made the BigV when it meant something and was retired by a crippling knee injury, and was highly respected his teamates. Gee I'd like to have underachieved like that.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Keenan is still dirty about leaving the Dogs. He has always blamed Joycie, says he didn't want to go but no contract was offered to him. Great bloke, used to take the piss out of Wheels when he got carried away. Famous for his "Where's the f***ing backmen", remark when Wheels had spent all his time yet again showing how to create goals.

Rather than an underachiever I would put him up as someone who through attitude got the most from his talent, afterall Essendon let us have him because they thought he couldn't play at all.
    He was a real character and loved his time at the Dogs. I went to a selectors night years ago and sat on a table with his mother and a couple of relatives. His mother said that she would follow Keenan where ever he played but she would be sticking with the Dogs because they had been so good to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He was a real character and loved his time at the Dogs. I went to a selectors night years ago and sat on a table with his mother and a couple of relatives. His mother said that she would follow Keenan where ever he played but she would be sticking with the Dogs because they had been so good to him.
    Keenan's former long-term partner was my cousin so I got to know him sort of. He grew up in Werribee and was zoned to the Dogs but wanted to play for Essendon so he used his grandmothers address in Moonee Ponds.

Then Essendon didn't want him so all of a sudden the Bulldogs didn't seem such a bad option any more.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't aware of that Alwaysadog, a damn shame then.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Farren Ray as yet ...
    Pick number 4 in the 2003 AFL Draft (Behind #1 Adam Cooney, #2 Andrew Walker - Carlton, #3 Colin Sylvia - Melbourne ... all three priority picks for thier prospective clubs) he has played 75 games and now just been swapped for a second round draft pick ... 'Could've Been' better ...
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Cheers ... spelinks knot mye stron point ... And I'm a teacher

In my defence, look at the time i posted ... how is anyone supposed to be able to spell Tzatzaris at that ungodly hour
    Let me let you in on a secret, my greek background assisted me in the spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Tim Walsh. 2002 Pick 4. 1 game, 1 goal.

What might have been - may already have a couple of premierships with a gun KPF (no other term for it at pick 4) 6 years into the system.

(top 10 from that year: Brendan Goddard, Daniel Wells, Jared Brennan, Tim Walsh, Jarrod McVeigh, Steven Salopek, Andrew Mackie, Luke Brennan, Hamish McIntosh, Jason Laycock. Will Minson was pick 20 from that draft, so one could say Walsh should be playing the position Minnow is now.)

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was a bit rough having Ted Whitten Jnr on this list.....he fed Templeton many many goals....a great pass.

I think his knees were stuffed by the time he was 23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GetDimmaBack View Post
    Jimmy Plunkett.

Looked like he could be anything playing in the magoos - Terry Wallace said he lost track of the number of people who asked him when Jimmy was going to play...

One of those "in-between" players: far too good for Reserve grade, didn't cut it in the seniors.

Any think Tyson Lane fits here too?
    Do I remember Plunkett having a good finals series at Carlton under Wayne Brittain?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Injuries wrecked Adrian's career.

Sock eye probably did his best work for us while looking after the young Steve Wallis at Leongatha.

Justin was the darling of the trainers who remembered his father Bob playing for us, prodigious talent not sure where the head was most of the time. .
    Disagree the Sockeye on Woof did his best work looking out for a young KT31 at ET's in
    Pahran or even on the Fairstar.

Justin's Uncle also played or us and was still underpinning in his 70's.
    And one conversation with him may explain a little bit about Justin's mandatory retirement.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Disagree the Sockeye on Woof did his best work looking out for a young KT31 at ET's in
    Pahran or even on the Fairstar.

Justin's Uncle also played or us and was still underpinning in his 70's.
    And one conversation with him may explain a little bit about Justin's mandatory retirement.
    Care to enlighten us further, KT31?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that comment.

I wouldn't put him in the could"ve been category, I thought he was an above average player, and I think he played for the Big V.
    He was an elite kick and feed Templeton with a lot of perfect passes, he clearly shared a lot of his fathers genes. However he had none of his father's mongrel, none of his fanatical determination, he lacked toughness despite having some talent comparable to his father's. He had no taste for the physical contest. With this toughness he Could've Been.