Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jake Stringer

Post Thanks / Like

Jake Stringer

No doubt Stringer has had a mixed bag of a season with some good games mixed in with some poor ones. Questions about his concentration during the game and his ability to carry out the instructions from the coach have been raised during discussions on the forum.

He was switched to the back line and after a poor first up effort has now played some good games.

How do you rate the future of Jake Stringer?
    How have you rated his season so far?
    Where do you seem him playing for the balance of the season?

I'm still very positive about his future with us and think that some of his form issues this season are just the normal cycle of a young player fitting into the demand and rigors of AFL footballers. I'm particularly pleased with the way he has adapted to some of the defensive jobs he has been given. I think that speaks volumes about a young player who has accepted the challenge of learning another aspect of his development.
    Hopefully he will come back from the bye refreshed for the next month or so of games.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jake Stringer

I just see Luke Hodge mark 2. From his demeanour to his size and style of play. Could end up playing mid, back or forward depending on team needs. Long, long way to go of course. Hopefully he becomes a mid as he is a good user and breaks the lines.

Post Thanks / Like

He got lost in the forward line early in the season. Needs to keep building up his stamina. Needs to get a bit more experience to achieve that balance between knowing when to hold onto the pill for longer and when to move it on quickly. At the moment, he holds onto it too long sometimes.

Clearly, he has a lot of ability and excellent physical attributes. Not sure what position he is going to make his own but there are quite a few options open - just about all of them bar ruck or genuine rover, I suppose.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I think he needs to learn a few lessons about doing the basics right and maybe those lessons are harder to learn (or easier to hide) in the forward line as opposed to the back line. There may be a dual purpose of Stringer going back such as learning how find the football, doing the 1%ers and also filling the breach while Morris was out. I think Stringer going back has been very good for him in terms of accountability.

Do we think he'll stay down there with all of Wood, Roughie, Talia, Roberts and Moz fit?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really pleased with his year so far, had me worried a little early on but he has got better as the year goes on.

Playing him away from the goals seems to have taken the pressure off and as he gets fitter he will only get better.

I see a bit of Goddard about him.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a very big fan of Jake & think his move back is a positive step. Early in season as a forward there were a lot of remnants of the former junior star who relies on big speccies and is able to get away with playing from behind. He was in danger of developing selfish, lazy traits and I'm sure that's what the coaching panel were keen to stamp out.

He's made mistakes down back but his delivery out has often been great. I have a feeling next year we'll see the right balance of his inner lair and a more mature approach. He's got so much talent, he is going to be a terrific player.

One last point- as a forward, why did he suddenly get the yips? I remember how thrilled we were at his look of ' I want to kick this goal' confidence. But he's missed some sitters this year.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

He's a second year mobile tall - personally I think he's ahead of the bell-curve in terms of his development.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

So far I still love what I see.

I was skeptical about moving him to the backline but it has enabled him to get his hands on the ball and build his confidence with his disposal and decision making. We just need to pick his match ups carefully as he isn't a natural defender.

Still only his second year, has plenty of potential left in him.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm totally confused by him. Started up forward year 1 looking like a true forward. Had the strut, had the arrogance backed both up off the boot. Sustained in flashes all season and I expected the same but slightly better season 2.

Started s2 fitter, leaner looked hungrier and played up forward like he'd been accidentally promoted from Dingley 2nds. Could hit a barn door, didn't seem to want or at least know how to get the ball. Sent down back was aweful (not as bad as jones) then a couple of good games, best one for mine was 2 before the break.

Looks ok, best 22 but jury is out on servicable vs good vs great. You don't use pick 5 on a 3rd tall back so I hope we get something more from him. We won't know for another 4 years where his ceiling is and I have no idea if the leg remains a factor and for how long if so?

Less excited than I was but still hopeful.

Post Thanks / Like

Credit to you GVG, you called his move to the backline and he has done better than I thought he would. He has every reason not to be playing well - young, tall, recovering from a leg break and building fitness, out of position, baby on the way - but he is a good contributor at the moment
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen improvement every week and he moves surprisingly well. Still lacks strength when playing on bigger opponents, but he has a long way to go. Another couple of pre-seasons and will all be praising what a great pick 5 he is.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I imagine all kids that get drafted have at some point been able to not put in 100% or play for the speccy things and skate on by. I think like all successful kids that kick on after being drafted, they learn what effort and hard work really is. If you ask me trading Stringer for Ollie Wines as the next pick after the dogs 2 picks. I still keep stringer thank-you.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He reminds me of a first year Bob murphy. Considering stringers development body issues I think it's a fair comparison, he has bob like tricks in his arsenal and is clearly no average joe.

Like others have posted, going back has helped him read the play better and to focus on his man.

His new fatherhood would also be having an impact, so overall I'm happy with his progress.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He's a second year mobile tall - personally I think he's ahead of the bell-curve in terms of his development.
    Agreed.

Signs since he has moved up the field have been very encouraging. I have been pretty impressed with his efforts through the middle of the ground on occasion, and as a defender. He generally uses the ball well, but it's his composure that has stood out - he's also got some evasive skills coupled with his natural aggression.

I still think he will be a genuine star of the competition provided he works hard.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Been a smart move from the Coaching side of things.
    Gotta admit he looked like a dear in the headlights in the Crows game, but he's got better and moved into the middle as well.
    He was going games without touching it, so it's a positive move