Thanks Thanks:  110
Likes Likes:  908
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ASADA issues show-cause notices to Essendon players

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lets just deport them that should satisfy everyone.
    You're being ridiculous right now.

Post Thanks / Like

We should be importing athletes anyway,
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I did. And surely our club realises by now that there is a big difference between what the AFL thinks it knows and what it actually does. And with something like this surely it should be WADA or ASADA we seek advice from directly in conjunction with the AFL than through the AFL.

I'm fine with us changing it after the fact, but it shouldn't have come to that and may still have ramifications.
    This is the issue that's seemingly causing the most angst, but it shouldn't.

We're bound by AFL rules which are subject to the ASADA/WADA provisions. Our responsibility or duty is to deal with the AFL first and foremost on any matters that are directly related to how their competition is governed. We are a licencee completely dependent on their funding and advice on all matters involving participating within their competition.

It's perfectly reasonable for us to defer to written confirmation of a league decision or position as a result of that. It is unreasonable at best, for us to take advice from third parties in such matters as this and act on them given the AFL has a contrary position tabled. Yes we should challenge the AFL, but defying them in such circumstances would be stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

This situation reflects more poorly on the AFL (surprise surprise) than it does on our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    This situation reflects more poorly on the AFL (surprise surprise) than it does on our club.
    Yes I agree. Bulldogs are here to cross every T, dot every i, while the AFL continues to try and run its fiefdom. Peter Gordon could easily run the AFL. And it would be better for it!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

But the main issue is that unlike the AFL we at least have some credibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    You're being ridiculous right now.
    You don't like my humour. Next time I better use an emoticon.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep no question it does. I've said my piece about how we've managed this but the AFL really needs to come out and tell everyone what has happened here because to be perfectly honest it is an absolutely shambolic situation and I don't see how any club can have faith in what the AFL are advising at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You don't like my humour. Next time I better use an emoticon.
    It was a joke? Totally should have used an emoticon. 😛

Post Thanks / Like

I love it when the forum is divided like this - I reckon it's a 50/50 split.

I also suggest this thread be closed.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I love it when the forum is divided like this - I reckon it's a 50/50 split.

I also suggest this thread be closed.
    Why close it, we still have the appeal to discuss.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The fundamental point in all of this is that the AFL wants to have their cake and eat it - they want to be seen to be a flag-bearer in all manner of on-point issues (anti-doping being one) but really all they care about is the cash. They constantly cite the NFL as the high watermark of professional sport - the NFL is at least honest enough with its audience to not give a shit about a level playing field and having a clean sport, hence why the NFL didn't sign up to WADA because having its best players on the field makes more money for the league so they don't bother with the pretence. They could care less that you or I might be uncomfortable with a system that allows players caught to name their own substance publicly, because they know our greater desire is to see Brady, Manning, etc.. play every week.

The AFL is exactly the same - at its core they want exactly what the NFL has, but also wants love and respect and to claim some sort of social/cultural leadership and adulation. Speaking for myself, what's the point of the AFL if it is not clean? What's the point of Jobe Watson being a Brownlow medallist in 2012 when he was doped to the eyeballs? It's akin to Barry Bonds holding the home run world record. Seriously what's the point of the sport?

If you aren't doing everything in your power to run a competition with as level a playing field as possible, you are simply not concerned with anything except the financial bottom line. And the AFL could not be more explicit in placing their financial priorities over the integrity of the competition - that is why the issues of tanking, Talia-gate, salary cap cheating, doping, etc.. are buried. And that is why I can't give a toss any more about the sport I grew up with and obsessed over for 40 years, with the exception of the Dogs.
    Last edited by Sedat; 04-03-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This is the issue that's seemingly causing the most angst, but it shouldn't.

We're bound by AFL rules which are subject to the ASADA/WADA provisions. Our responsibility or duty is to deal with the AFL first and foremost on any matters that are directly related to how their competition is governed. We are a licencee completely dependent on their funding and advice on all matters involving participating within their competition.

It's perfectly reasonable for us to defer to written confirmation of a league decision or position as a result of that. It is unreasonable at best, for us to take advice from third parties in such matters as this and act on them given the AFL has a contrary position tabled. Yes we should challenge the AFL, but defying them in such circumstances would be stupid.
    Your points are fair, but I still think we should've involved ASADA in our communications with the AFL in this matter from day 1, given the AFL have repeatedly shown that their understanding of these matters is hopeless and that ASADA is ultimately the body that makes the determinations that matter.

If we had've done so, ASADA would've overridden the AFL before Prismall returned and everyone could've moved on. As it stands, our players have no Welfare Officer leading into the season and Prismall, having endured several years of this, now has the threat of his 2 year ban being recommenced.

The AFL still haven't commented on this. They need to explain how ASADA's repeated advice to not employ Prismall somehow translated to the AFL advising us we could. This matter is likely is not finalised so will be a further drag on our resources.

The broader concern is that this can be seen as being part of a wider pattern of behaviour that sees us being disrespectful of ASADA and the process. With Bevo and PGs many public comments, allowing/encouraging Crameri to train with an Essendon group under Sean Wellman, a Hird EFC assistant at the time of the dopings, we seem to be dragging ourself into a fight we just don't need and seemingly siding with the bad guys.

The argument is that we are only looking out for Crameri and Prismall's interests. If so, we are failing. At present they are no better off than Carlisle/Ryder/Monfries etc who (and their respective new clubs) are keeping their heads down and serving their time quietly. In fact they are worse off by engaging in activities that flirt with WADA rules and potentially reset their bans, even if this doesn't eventuate, the stress can't be great for them and there is no upside.

A casual observer could be forgiven for thinking that the 2 clubs involved in the drugs scandal are Essendon and the Bulldogs. We are on a hiding to nothing.

14. Likes Sedat, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    The AFL still haven't commented on this. They need to explain how ASADA's repeated advice to not employ Prismall somehow translated to the AFL advising us we could. This matter is likely is not finalised so will be a further drag on our resources.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for this. There's more chance of the Talia phone transcripts being leaked by the AFL to the media.

Post Thanks / Like

Bombres supporters doing a march from Fed Square to support their suspended players. Wonder where they hot that idea?