Thanks Thanks:  110
Likes Likes:  908
Page 13 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ASADA issues show-cause notices to Essendon players

What about the Jobe Watson admittance, isn't that guilty ? Why does he still have his brownlow and why did he get it in the first place ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Whilst its nice to play the players as innocent victims in all of this they aren't. Every player knows that they have an obligation to make sure that what they put into their body is legitimate and within the ASADA/WADA guidelines. Whilst there may be grounds that the players were coerced and that their employer did not take reasonable care, the fact remains that they potentially ingested substances that would/should have given them an advantage over other teams.

I for one believe that ASADA should just proceed. Appeal or no appeal, unless Essendon get an injunction preventing the ASADA's show cause notices from applying, the process should continue. I can't see an injunction being granted. In my mind players who co-operate and provide information which is helpful to ASADA should be given reduced bans. The reductions should work on a sliding scale so that the first to co-operate get a more reduction than the last and in that case I would be applying extreme pressure on Cameri to co-operate!
    I'm glad you pointed this out. I feel pity for the players to a degree because they put their faith in the club but this excuse doesn't wash in any other sport; Olympians would be rightly furious at seeing this saga. Even if it means us losing Crameri for some time next year, I think that a meaningful suspension (not the Cronulla backdated farce) needs to be applied if the AFL is at all serious about this issue. I would be very keen for Crameri to come forward, say that he was misled, take his penalty and get on with his career.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Poses a whole new question on what happens with Stuie Crameri?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    What about the Jobe Watson admittance, isn't that guilty ? Why does he still have his brownlow and why did he get it in the first place ?
    The show cause notices relate exclusively to the use of Thymosin Beta 4, not AOD-9604, which is what he discussed in the interview.

Post Thanks / Like

We go on about elite athletes knowing what's going in their body and that's fair enough If its a single person sport like cycling or boxing or athletics but in a team sport and the team is told by coaches or whoever is at the club it's fine and you are young and getting a wage you never dreamed of in a so called professional club, who are you to question it?
    And don't forget the awkward part of questioning something when for all you know it's a normal part of being in the AFL.
    For example at work I'm asked to do things I haven't done before and just accept it. I work for a huge company why would I think that anything they do is illegal ?
    Single person sports are easier to find blame than team sports.
    Fact is it was the club doing illegal things, the players were the guinea pigs, in hindsight yes they should have asked questions etc but yeah in hindsight I should have picked the winner in the Melbourne cup but I didn't.
    Bring back the biff

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    But they have already punished the Club.
    No they haven't, not for this. Previously it was poor governance IIRC.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

The show cause notices relate exclusively to the use of Thymosin Beta 4, not AOD-9604, which is what he discussed in the interview.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see the players being given too harsh a penalty.

Six to twelve months out of competition dated from the date of infraction (this week) would be about it I think.

Post Thanks / Like

We go on about elite athletes knowing what's going in their body and that's fair enough If its a single person sport like cycling or boxing or athletics but in a team sport and the team is told by coaches or whoever is at the club it's fine and you are young and getting a wage you never dreamed of in a so called professional club, who are you to question it?
    And don't forget the awkward part of questioning something when for all you know it's a normal part of being in the AFL.
    For example at work I'm asked to do things I haven't done before and just accept it. I work for a huge company why would I think that anything they do is illegal ?
    Fact is it was the club doing illegal things, the players were the guinea pigs, in hindsight yes they should have asked questions etc but yeah in hindsight I should have picked the winner in the Melbourne cup but I didn't.
    How is it different if you are in a cycling team as opposed to a football team?
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Gordon Legal wrote Stew's contract.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Ledge, when you look at it big business and big government are responsible for the most disgusting atrocities to ever blight this lovely planet (I'm leaving religion out of this much to the chagrin of libertarians and others of their ilk). I'd start asking questions more regularly at work if I was you.

There is no way any of these players should have allowed any of these substances to be injected into them without getting a complete record of what they contained to hang to for their own records. These sorts of acts should be the bare minimum any player should be responsible for if they sign up to the ASADA and WADA codes (which they all did).

This issue is a massive failing of the entire football industry, not just the EFC. When I go to a doctor and receive an injection I sure as shit keep a record of what was supposed to have been injected into me. Why on Earth should we allow AFL players to be subject to a lesser standard than what we are generally subject to for Medicare?

Their careers are subject to ensuring no illegal substances are pumped into their bodies! They can use the excuse that group think stopped them from thinking, but that sort of thinking doesn't fly in the world outside of the AFL, and it's about time the AFL caught up.
    Last edited by jeemak; 19-09-2014 at 11:55 PM.

13. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I can't see the players being given too harsh a penalty.
    I can. I think they'll throw the book at them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I can. I think they'll throw the book at them.
    Why?

Post Thanks / Like

They won't throw the book at them

Post Thanks / Like

Word up here in Sydney: ASADA is going after the 3 Cronulla players who didn't roll over.

The Dons and their players didn't rollover. ASADA will make an example of them.

Think about it. ASADA has to. Otherwise they are joke (remember that drugs in sport is broader than the AFL).