Thanks Thanks:  110
Likes Likes:  908
Page 15 of 160 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ASADA issues show-cause notices to Essendon players

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I disagree.

They all were willingly interviewed, no evidence has been covered up (as far as I know).

When you cut through it, the noise is actually all generated by James Hird because he knows he's cooked, and Little doing for the club what its members want him to do.

The players have been issued show cause notices, they tested the validity of them in court, that's now done and dusted so they now can either fight them or roll over (cooperate).
    Willingly interviewed? Part of the club's claim was that ASADA misused the AFL's coercive powers. I can't see how they can day one thing in court and then contradict themselves in pleading for mercy.

If they don't think ASADA had the evidence then the AFL tribunal is the forum for that to be decided. All that was tested in court was the legitimacy of the investigation?

Post Thanks / Like

While all the rhetoric of the day spouted 'full co-operation', it staggers me that 'no-one knows' what they were injected with.....
    No records or receipts to speak of.
    Reeks of cover-up.
    Reeks.
    I'm not buying.
    I'm paying money, the girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off, how good is this...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Willingly interviewed? Part of the club's claim was that ASADA misused the AFL's coercive powers. I can't see how they can day one thing in court and then contradict themselves in pleading for mercy.

If they don't think ASADA had the evidence then the AFL tribunal is the forum for that to be decided. All that was tested in court was the legitimacy of the investigation?
    We should keep in mind that ASADA is more your ''kangaroo" court than your Due Process type of court too.

They come across as moralistic and vindictive, though I can see why they have to tend that way.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, can't agree with that.

By its very nature, a 'show cause' notice gives a player a chance to do just that, show why they should not be charged with an offence, not dissimilar to a commital hearing in the criminal jurisdiction

The only way they could provide more 'due process' would be to wear ridiculous wigs during hearings.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, can't agree with that.

By its very nature, a 'show cause' notice gives a player a chance to do just that, show why they should not be charged with an offence, not dissimilar to a commital hearing in the criminal jurisdiction

The only way they could provide more 'due process' would be to wear ridiculous wigs during hearings.
    It's not a charge it's a violation. The same body that is prosecuting is judging. That's not natural justice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's not a charge it's a violation. The same body that is prosecuting is judging. That's not natural justice.
    The AFL tribunal will judge based on the infraction notice. WADA then have the right of appeal if they don't like the result.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL tribunal will judge based on the infraction notice. WADA then have the right of appeal if they don't like the result.

If a deal is reached the AFL tribunal isn't involved is it. My problem is with a player who may ave done nothing having no choice but to plead guilty and take the deal rather than being railroaded into worse on flimsy evidence at the AFL appointed tribunal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    If a deal is reached the AFL tribunal isn't involved is it. My problem is with a player who may ave done nothing having no choice but to plead guilty and take the deal rather than being railroaded into worse on flimsy evidence at the AFL appointed tribunal.
    The way I see it if the evidence was 'flimsy' Essendon wouldn't have gone to the trouble of trying to get the whole investigation thrown out.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure Essendon is quite sure of the inventory of evidence ASADA has. They were so confident yestday even Dank wriggled out of the woodwork and was then sent scurrying from the glare of the media when the decision swung the other way. I thing they have totally misread the situation. When people use a football club's banner for their own personal agenda it lowers the whole sport. Former legends are to be regarded with caution as coaches.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 21-09-2014 at 10:12 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

The way I see it if the evidence was 'flimsy' Essendon wouldn't have gone to the trouble of trying to get the whole investigation thrown out.
    Spot on. The evidence is watertight linking industrial strength quantities of banned performance enhancing drugs (TB4) to the EFC - ASADA doesn't issue show cause notices for fun, they only do so when their case is tighter than a drum. Their systematic doping is the modern day equivalent of East German athletes in the 70's and Chinese swimmers in the 90's. It has been a sight to behold watching the hubris and arrogance of Hird and Little drag their club further and further into the abyss.

I don't have a massive amount of sympathy for the players either - if a moron like Riemers starts asking questions about the radical increase in injections off site from the club, it is unfathomable for the playing group to cite ignorance. I remember reading an article in The Age in late 2011 quoting Jobe Watson and his surprise at the rate of muscle growth in the players even after only a couple of weeks in the pre season. Not an article that sheds ignorance as a plausible excuse to their self-inflicted plight. Watson as captain is particularly accountable, and should he be found guilty of doping he simply cannot keep his Brownlow or AA awards since 2012.

EFC are getting done slowly and I'm loving every minute of it.

11. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

EFC are getting done slowly and I'm loving every minute of it.
    Absolutely. Their biggest protective factor and the subsequent ego of that Club are proving to be their biggest failing. I have no doubt the top end of town worked hard to give EFC an easy out and sweep things under the carpet. EFC though, far too proud and lacking in insight have pushed the boundaries and now will be found out.

I want this club torn to shreds. Essendon OUT.

Post Thanks / Like

It's embarrassing to see these people, who call themselves ' sportsmen' or representitives of sporting clubs, stand in front of a microphone and tell the world they feel they have done nothing wrong.
    The whole idea of sporsmanlike behaviour is out the window. 'Whatever it takes' is a blight on the game.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I can't agree with the "I want the EFC thrown out sentiment".
    Due process and punishment for any proven misgivings will do.
    I cant help but think the Paddy Ryder walk-out could be a benefit to the comp in EFC's worst case scenario.
    Players all effectively become free agents - 6 or so walk - + natural attrition of list (retirements, delistings etc.) dilutes the number of players still on their list affected....
    They still field a team, albeit younger & weaker & threadbare.
    I'm paying money, the girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off, how good is this...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can't see why he would resign. He has to try and dig them out of this mess or get a reasonable compromise.
    Not sure if you follow the NRL but their players have already taken a punishment which is essentially 3 weeks of pre season training off. Essendon had this option available to them and rejected it to go to court. Little has screwed up and he has done so because he is desperate to help Hird. He should also resign for giving Hird a contract extension and a 1 year paid holiday. The members most certainly did not want that.

Post Thanks / Like

Two narcissists at work in one place, just need AKer down there now to complete the stooges, then again he might be their advisor
    Bring back the biff