Thanks Thanks:  110
Likes Likes:  908
Page 44 of 160 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494144 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ASADA issues show-cause notices to Essendon players

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. It's an interest possible scenario. Makes you wonder if the AFL would bail them out for $10,000,000+ and piss the entire country off, or let them fall into liquidation and start up another franchise with that money. If they bail them out with serous amounts of cash and then let us drown in the puddle next to them, I will lose the last teeny tiny modicum of faith in the AFL.
    Any potential bail out would need to come with massive strings attached. Resignations of board and executive. Resignations of Football department, including Dr Bruce Reid. None of which I can see them agreeing to.

Post Thanks / Like

Hal Hunter has been named as the player suing Essendon. His application for anonymity was rejected.

Link
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Hal Hunter has been named as the player suing Essendon. His application for anonymity was rejected.

Link
    Hopefully he doesn't get cold feet as a result.

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as he never played a game....his anonymity remains safe!!!

5. Thanks Scraggers thanked for this post
    Likes SlimPickens, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Hopefully he doesn't get cold feet as a result.
    He should be right, according Mick Warner, the fine Herald-Sun journalist, Gil Mclachlan admitting the AFL could do more to prevent clubs going rogue is proof this whole saga is the AFL's fault and the players will simply sue them for damages. Given Essendon are now completely absolved of responsibility I don't think Hal will have any issue pursuing his legal action.

Yes this is the same Mick Warner who announced Essendon were 4/600 declared and ASADA were all out for 80 after Essendon's opening statement, and the same Mick Warner who got in a punch on with Slobbo, no doubt over who got James Hird's signature first.

The Herald-Sun should be embarrased by the buffoons they have working for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Sheeds has been drinking the Kool Aid as well.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...c4ef5aa75c5961

Kevin Sheedy labels the AFL drug scandal treatment of Essendon ‘sick’ and ‘ridiculous’

KEVIN Sheedy has labelled AFL’s drug scandal treatment of Essendon ‘sick’ - blasting a protracted and flawed case against the besieged club he hopes isn’t a sting.

An AFL anti-doping tribunal will on March 31 deliver a finding into whether 34 past and present Essendon players used banned drugs, allegedly in 2012, under the watch of sports scientist Stephen Dank.

“It is a very sick, ordinary case rolling out in Australian sport,” said Sheedy, who steered Essendon from 1981-2007.

“A three-year wait is ridiculous.”

Essendon has for three years been bogged in a sordid supplement saga that also saw coach James Hird forced to stand out of the game for 12 months in 2013-14. However there is yet to be concrete proof of wrong-doing by the club insists Sheedy.

“There has never been a positive drug test, can you tell me what’s going on in this country? That means if you are near a bank got robbed you could be up for robbing a bank,” said Sheedy.

“You know as well as I do that when you go and get a (flu) injection, how do you know what is in the thing. That is the problem with the whole case.”

Sheedy is also unmoved by reports a former player will legal action against the Bombers and the AFL. Former Bombers now at Port Adelaide Paddy Ryder and Angus Monfries also face bans in any guilty verdict by the anti-doping tribunal with 34 players handed infraction notices.

“They have never actually been tested positive in a drug test. Everything that has come back from Germany has been negative so you are going to be in a situation where you will be possibly looking that there is no reason there,” Sheedy told The Advertiser.

Four-time Essendon premiership mentor Sheedy has returned to galvanise and provide clarity in the club’s time of crisis. Essendon could yet be decimated by bans ahead of its April 4 season opener against Sydney and ANZ Stadium.

“I am glad to be back at the Bombers, we will sort that out,” said Sheedy.

“One of the major reasons coming back before a decision is made because I am not worried about that decision.

“To me it is about remodelling Essendon and its future.

“Hawthorn nearly went out of the competition with a merger. Carlton and Adelaide has been kicked around with draft selections. Every club goes through a tough time and Essendon is now.”

Two years ago Essendon became embroiled in what was described as the blackest day in Australian sport. Heads of the nations sporting codes were flanked by Federal Labor Ministers Jason Clare and Kate Lundy proclaiming links between athletes, illegal drug taking and betting activities.

Asked if he felt the accusations from that watershed event had been substantiated, Sheedy said: “We don’t know, we hope it wasn’t a sting.’

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Sheedy just attached his name to a post from the Essendon board on BigFooty. Their desperation to have their fans see them as the victim in all of this should be a study in how to protect your brand internally while destroying it externally.

Post Thanks / Like

This line is probably where I thought things became too comical to be true:

Four-time Essendon premiership mentor Sheedy has returned to galvanise and provide clarity in the club’s time of crisis.

The sheer unwillingness of those associated with EFC to acknowledge reality is magnificent in its level of hubris.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This line is probably where I thought things became too comical to be true:

Four-time Essendon premiership mentor Sheedy has returned to galvanise and provide clarity in the club’s time of crisis.

The sheer unwillingness of those associated with EFC to acknowledge reality is magnificent in its level of hubris.
    Bit hard for Sheeds to provide clarity on anything with his face buried in a bottle of red.

What a moronic, insular club the Bombers have turned out to be. Still, I bet their even more moronic supporters will chip in with memberships now that the 'great man' has returned. All this for a club that hasn't even won a final since 2004.

11. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bit hard for Sheeds to provide clarity on anything with his face buried in a bottle of red.

What a moronic, insular club the Bombers have turned out to be. Still, I bet their even more moronic supporters will chip in with memberships now that the 'great man' has returned. All this for a club that hasn't even won a final since 2004.
    Claret-y perhaps.
    Sheedy's been a clown for years now.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Claret-y perhaps.
    Sheedy's been a clown for years now.

I'm pretty sure that Sheeds misheard and thought they said he was going to be providing the claret too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Looks like Sheeds has been drinking the Kool Aid as well.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...c4ef5aa75c5961

Kevin Sheedy labels the AFL drug scandal treatment of Essendon ‘sick’ and ‘ridiculous’

KEVIN Sheedy has labelled AFL’s drug scandal treatment of Essendon ‘sick’ - blasting a protracted and flawed case against the besieged club he hopes isn’t a sting.

An AFL anti-doping tribunal will on March 31 deliver a finding into whether 34 past and present Essendon players used banned drugs, allegedly in 2012, under the watch of sports scientist Stephen Dank.

“It is a very sick, ordinary case rolling out in Australian sport,” said Sheedy, who steered Essendon from 1981-2007.

“A three-year wait is ridiculous.”

Essendon has for three years been bogged in a sordid supplement saga that also saw coach James Hird forced to stand out of the game for 12 months in 2013-14. However there is yet to be concrete proof of wrong-doing by the club insists Sheedy.

“There has never been a positive drug test, can you tell me what’s going on in this country? That means if you are near a bank got robbed you could be up for robbing a bank,” said Sheedy.

“You know as well as I do that when you go and get a (flu) injection, how do you know what is in the thing. That is the problem with the whole case.”

Sheedy is also unmoved by reports a former player will legal action against the Bombers and the AFL. Former Bombers now at Port Adelaide Paddy Ryder and Angus Monfries also face bans in any guilty verdict by the anti-doping tribunal with 34 players handed infraction notices.

“They have never actually been tested positive in a drug test. Everything that has come back from Germany has been negative so you are going to be in a situation where you will be possibly looking that there is no reason there,” Sheedy told The Advertiser.

Four-time Essendon premiership mentor Sheedy has returned to galvanise and provide clarity in the club’s time of crisis. Essendon could yet be decimated by bans ahead of its April 4 season opener against Sydney and ANZ Stadium.

“I am glad to be back at the Bombers, we will sort that out,” said Sheedy.

“One of the major reasons coming back before a decision is made because I am not worried about that decision.

“To me it is about remodelling Essendon and its future.

“Hawthorn nearly went out of the competition with a merger. Carlton and Adelaide has been kicked around with draft selections. Every club goes through a tough time and Essendon is now.”

Two years ago Essendon became embroiled in what was described as the blackest day in Australian sport. Heads of the nations sporting codes were flanked by Federal Labor Ministers Jason Clare and Kate Lundy proclaiming links between athletes, illegal drug taking and betting activities.

Asked if he felt the accusations from that watershed event had been substantiated, Sheedy said: “We don’t know, we hope it wasn’t a sting.’

Wow. A sting?

If the AFL had a fourth division that's where Essendon.would end up after this.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I just say it went on for three years because the hero coach of theirs kept going to court and dragging it out , did he refuse to see that ?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok it's out here is the truth
    http://youtu.be/_TcZikqG654

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I'd think yes to both points. I'd also think Essendon would be frantically trying to settle out of court under sworn secrecy as quickly as possible and for the minimum financial outlay.
    The AFL will nudge them in that direction too as a guess - protecting the AFL name
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers