Thanks Thanks:  110
Likes Likes:  908
Page 54 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104154 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ASADA issues show-cause notices to Essendon players

When past Essendon players begin growing a third testicle they will finally sue the club and the truth will be known.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

It's ridiculous that the AFL can have the power to hear this case, because clearly they have conflict of interest.
    The case should be decided by an independent tribunal.
    Hopefully WADA will come out swinging .
    Otherwise all you have to do is have a good office shredder and you can get away with anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Asada slinking away with their tail between their legs...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not sure I read it that way. I get the distinct impression ASADA thinks the only way for an unbiased hearing is for WADA to take the case to the CAS, and that they're strongly suggesting they do it.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

5. Likes Sedat, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Not sure I read it that way. I get the distinct impression ASADA thinks the only way for an unbiased hearing is for WADA to take the case to the CAS, and that they're strongly suggesting they do it.
    I sincerely hope you are right.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I read it the same way. Absolute indictment on the AFL.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    They said it was based on legal advice, in other words no shreddivence.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ASADA's case couldn't even reach a made up burden of proof.

This case now descends into politics and deal making. Justice is out the window.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

11. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    ASADA's case couldn't even reach a made up burden of proof.

This case now descends into politics and deal making. Justice is out the window.
    The AFL's panel decided on how they would interpret comfortable satisfaction, and it's being said by experts that they set the bar higher than it had ever been set before. The view is if the Lance Armstrong case was put before that same AFL panel he would have been cleared.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The AFL's panel decided on how they would interpret comfortable satisfaction, and it's being said by experts that they set the bar higher than it had ever been set before. The view is if the Lance Armstrong case was put before that same AFL panel he would have been cleared.

I wonder if they pointed that out to Mc Devitt when they advised him not to pursue it.

Post Thanks / Like

My partner (a criminal law barrister) tells me that for ASADA to appeal, it would need to show an error in law, and does not have the power to demand the case be re-heard. WADA has the power to have the case heard by the Court of Arbitration in Sport (CAS) without having to show an error in law.

16. Likes Scraggers, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    My partner (a criminal law barrister) tells me that for ASADA to appeal, it would need to show an error in law, and does not have the power to demand the case be re-heard. WADA has the power to have the case heard by the Court of Arbitration in Sport (CAS) without having to show an error in law.

That's what I mean about deals needing to be done.

McDevitt now owes a number of people at WADA favours. I wonder what they'll get called in on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's what I mean about deals needing to be done.

McDevitt now owes a number of people at WADA favours. I wonder what they'll get called in on?
    Can McDevitt actually survive this fiasco? He spent a long time building his case only to have it fall apart.
    He needed the players to start cutting deals and when they didn't he didn't have the evidence or resources to prove what had been happening. Maybe WADA needs more powers to investigate but McDevitt didn't get a satisfactory outcome and they might never get them now.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Can McDevitt actually survive this fiasco? He spent a long time building his case only to have it fall apart.
    He needed the players to start cutting deals and when they didn't he didn't have the evidence or resources to prove what had been happening. Maybe WADA needs more powers to investigate but McDevitt didn't get a satisfactory outcome and they might never get them now.
    He only hangs on if he is useful to the right people.

His CV is super impressive. He seems like a pretty get things done sort of cop/guy. This wasn't the job for a cop though. You're right the case did rely on someone rolling but nobody did, despite some close calls. It's a shame people are going to remember him for this.

My concern is they are going to go all gung-ho the next time a club's players are found out to be doping and the sanctions will be really vindictive and spiteful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There's a school of thought that McDevitt was a plant of the Abbott govt to make the issue go away with a minimum of fuss. Not sure if this is the case but his actions have not matched his strong words. He never pursued Nathan Bock for his alleged use of CJC-1295 (or whatever the number is) nor did he pursue AOD-9604 cases against the Essendon players, some of whom admitted taking it and which was always a banned WADA drug and not even fit for human consumption despite some idiot at ASADA giving the green light to Essendon.

Libs have always been very dismissive of the Labor "blackest day in sport" proclamation, so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Abbott would use this to score some political points. McDevitt has a reputation as something of a Mt Fixit of difficult situations in his previous roles.