Thanks Thanks:  110
Likes Likes:  908
Page 55 of 160 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105155 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ASADA issues show-cause notices to Essendon players

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    There's a school of thought that McDevitt was a plant of the Abbott govt to make the issue go away with a minimum of fuss. Not sure if this is the case but his actions have not matched his strong words. He never pursued Nathan Bock for his alleged use of CJC-1295 (or whatever the number is) nor did he pursue AOD-9604 cases against the Essendon players, some of whom admitted taking it and which was always a banned WADA drug and not even fit for human consumption despite some idiot at ASADA giving the green light to Essendon.

Libs have always been very dismissive of the Labor "blackest day in sport" proclamation, so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Abbott would use this to score some political points. McDevitt has a reputation as something of a Mt Fixit of difficult situations in his previous roles.
    Couldn't see it for a couple of reasons;

Abbott/s government isn't that smart and doesn't have a proven track record for this sort of subterfuge.

McDevitt wouldn't just trash his name and reputation like that.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Really hoping WADA can dig this one out of the very convenient hole it fell in. Maybe the CAS will be able to free an impartial view of things and deliver a verdict with much more integrity than what has happened to date.

I can't believe more hasn't been made of Charter flipping on his evidence after a meeting with Essendon's wealthiest supporter. No doubt in my mind he has been paid off to ensure any evidence he chose to share was favourable to Essendon's case.between it and the evidence being "disposed" of at the club, it paints a very ordinary picture. Deceitful, devious club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Really hoping WADA can dig this one out of the very convenient hole it fell in. Maybe the CAS will be able to free an impartial view of things and deliver a verdict with much more integrity than what has happened to date.

I can't believe more hasn't been made of Charter flipping on his evidence after a meeting with Essendon's wealthiest supporter. No doubt in my mind he has been paid off to ensure any evidence he chose to share was favourable to Essendon's case.between it and the evidence being "disposed" of at the club, it paints a very ordinary picture. Deceitful, devious club.
    Deceitful, devious code. Everybody with a vested interest in the game simply wants this issue to go away forever. Filthy lucre will always win out over integrity when it comes to the AFL.

I hope WADA come in and smash the players out of the ballpark (and by association the code and club). The AFL (and Australian sport in general), needs a dose of global sporting humiliation so that such activities never occur again. Only cyclists, East German athletes and Chinese swimmers cheat

4. Likes Drunken Bum, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a school of thought that McDevitt was a plant of the Abbott govt to make the issue go away with a minimum of fuss. Not sure if this is the case but his actions have not matched his strong words. He never pursued Nathan Bock for his alleged use of CJC-1295 (or whatever the number is) nor did he pursue AOD-9604 cases against the Essendon players, some of whom admitted taking it and which was always a banned WADA drug and not even fit for human consumption despite some idiot at ASADA giving the green light to Essendon.

Libs have always been very dismissive of the Labor "blackest day in sport" proclamation, so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Abbott would use this to score some political points. McDevitt has a reputation as something of a Mt Fixit of difficult situations in his previous roles.
    Sounds like a Labor Government conspiracy theory. McDevitt a Liberal mole? There's been some pretty outlandish claims made as part of this investigation but this one takes the cake.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Deceitful, devious code. Everybody with a vested interest in the game simply wants this issue to go away forever. Filthy lucre will always win out over integrity when it comes to the AFL.

I hope WADA come in and smash the players out of the ballpark (and by association the code and club). The AFL (and Australian sport in general), needs a dose of global sporting humiliation so that such activities never occur again. Only cyclists, East German athletes and Chinese swimmers cheat

Here's me thinking the cultural cringe disappeared in the 1980s. Can I ask why we need a 'dose of global sporting humiliation'? Just because WADA says something doesn't mean its right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Here's me thinking the cultural cringe disappeared in the 1980s. Can I ask why we need a 'dose of global sporting humiliation'? Just because WADA says something doesn't mean its right.
    I'm talking specifically relating to use of PED's in sport. We are as knee-deep as any other country in the use but we still consider such systematic cheating as something that only happens in other countries. Well it happened in our own code - allegedly of course because EFC were tipped off and got the shredder into overdrive.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't see it for a couple of reasons;

Abbott/s government isn't that smart and doesn't have a proven track record for this sort of subterfuge.

McDevitt wouldn't just trash his name and reputation like that.
    I, too, find it difficult to believe that so many pieces were neatly put in place, as would have had to occur for such a conspiracy theory to have taken place.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how the 'cultural cringe' applies here. We're not talking about some ill-conceived prejudice against our own culture and ideals, we're actually talking about the exact opposite concept: we have our heads fairly up our own backsides when it comes to PEDs in Australian sport. The Essendon saga hasn't resulted in said heads emerging, if anything we're up to our chests now and striving to go as deep as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm talking specifically relating to use of PED's in sport. We are as knee-deep as any other country in the use but we still consider such systematic cheating as something that only happens in other countries. Well it happened in our own code - allegedly of course because EFC were tipped off and got the shredder into overdrive.
    I getcha. They really backed themselves into a corner w hen they called the big press conference and announced everything they were going to do before they'd actually done anything. They should have just kept mum and investigated Essendon quietly

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I don't see how the 'cultural cringe' applies here. We're not talking about some ill-conceived prejudice against our own culture and ideals, we're actually talking about the exact opposite concept: we have our heads fairly up our own backsides when it comes to PEDs in Australian sport. The Essendon saga hasn't resulted in said heads emerging, if anything we're up to our chests now and striving to go as deep as possible.
    But do you compromise your Justice system in order to get the right result? I'd have loved to see Essendon get what's coming to them. Part of me hopes that WADA finds a reason to appeal to the COS.

Post Thanks / Like

Workcover moving in on Bombers according to The Sun.

12. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WADA to appeal the Essendon decision to the court of arbitration for sport. Interesting.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/ne...t-on-afl-cases

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting - you'd imagine they'd be confident of a result here. Jeebus

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    WADA to appeal the Essendon decision to the court of arbitration for sport. Interesting.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/ne...t-on-afl-cases
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

They simply had to, otherwise the 'dog ate my homework' excuse would have set a precedent for all other global sports.

I hope Essendon rot after this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Very interesting - you'd imagine they'd be confident of a result here. Jeebus
    Its worth noting that WADA has lost both appeals it has made on Australian matters.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stuff, glad it hasn't just fallen away and that the case will be further scrutinised.