Thanks Thanks:  110
Likes Likes:  908
Page 6 of 160 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ASADA issues show-cause notices to Essendon players

What makes me laugh is the fact this is supposed to be about a club doing illegal drugs and this court case is about being an illegal investigation, if your innocent why would you stop the investigation you would want it done and dusted.
    Essendon have now given up fighting their innocence and it has become a protect James Hird thing, problem
    Is he is taking down the club that is trying to help him .. Because its all about him and damn anyone else , I feel for the players now.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Forget all the complete and utter drivel being spouted out by the scribes in the media - all you really need to know about this case can be found here - http://sociallitigator.com/2014/08/1...da-litigation/

Some of the media commentary thus far has been laughably infantile. I mean, Mick Warner using a cricket analogy saying Essendon are 4/600 declared and ASADA have been skittled for 78 and are 6/45 in the 2nd innings - I guess his Walkley Award is already in the mail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Forget all the complete and utter drivel being spouted out by the scribes in the media - all you really need to know about this case can be found here - http://sociallitigator.com/2014/08/1...da-litigation/

Some of the media commentary thus far has been laughably infantile. I mean, Mick Warner using a cricket analogy saying Essendon are 4/600 declared and ASADA have been skittled for 78 and are 6/45 in the 2nd innings - I guess his Walkley Award is already in the mail.
    That's a hot hot take there from Warner, it literally singed my eyebrows off to read it.

This is turning into a Three Stooges skit.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    The most ridiculous thing is that for some reason or another, its as if they think that James Hird is the only one who can coach their club.
    Sounds a bit like our history doesn't it.
    ie messiah complex, pumping up the worth of individuals at the expense of club success.

I think it's so detrimental to the club and works against what you want to achieve.
    We have done it for so long because it is all we have had. I think we are starting to change this mentality
    around the club at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Essendon are so stupid to spend money on lawyers and take ASDA to court.

This is what ASDA says today:

UPDATE: The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Body has warned if its joint investigation with the AFL into the Essendon supplements program is deemed unlawful it could re-acquire the same information within 24 hours and re-issue the show-cause notices that have already been handed to 34 players.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz3AFq2b2HD
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

From a legal perspective it's quite an interesting few days, but who knows what the judge may determine.

It seems the questions to be tested around the legality of the joint investigation may go in ASADA's favour, however I'm not sure whether any determination now will be the last we hear of it - Essendon/Hird have come this far and I bet they will continue to pursue appeal avenues until (an even more) bitter end.

I was speaking to a mate about it yesterday, and for a bloke who is at the centre of a massive performance enhancing drug scandal, Hird has done pretty well - yes he missed 12 months, but he has the right to continue in his chosen profession, he has still been paid a significant salary whilst sitting on the sidelines and has the support of the people in power at his club, and their fans.

I find it staggering that it continues on - there must be some serious fears that more ASADA-issued penalties will arrive in due course - or perhaps, James has received advice his argument could knock the thing on its head. It seems peculiar that, in light of ASASA's statement this afternoon, he would pursue this action when they appear to have an ability to push on, regardless.

I suspect we'll still be talking about the same thing this time next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

I've really enjoyed her intelligent and considered analysis. It's apparent that many of the 'shock revelations' don't have much to do with the actual legal points on which the case will turn.

As I work in the city I dropped in for a sticky beak for an hour. It's only when you see six tables of lawyers that you get to appreciate how many millions are being spent on this. If the Bombres lose, surely even their deluded fans will be asking hard questions about the decision making of this supremely arrogant club.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

ASADA tables offer to AFL for Essendon players to accept six-month bans

Read more: here

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bornadog.

The bit of the article that states "The co-operation of WADA is mandatory for all discounted bans and McDevitt may have a difficult task convincing the Montreal-based world body to accept the proposed Essendon ban of six months"...

If a player accepts the 6 month ban and WADA do not co-operate they could then face a more lengthy ban. Is this a correct interpretation? If so, that's a big risk.

Also I am gleaning from this the player would have to accept the ban very soon, seeing as Magistrate I understand intends to make a finding on Essendon's case within the next few weeks. Am I correct?

"
    Josie :)

Our day will come
    And we'll have everything.
    We'll share the joy
    Just like '54 again.

Post Thanks / Like

Josie I'd think the 6th month ban would be entirely conditional on the deal. If WADA was to knock back the concept then I assume it would mean all bets are off and nothing is admissible from an evidence or concessionary point of view.

It would be back to square one, i.e. the point just before the six months was offered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Josie I'd think the 6th month ban would be entirely conditional on the deal. If WADA was to knock back the concept then I assume it would mean all bets are off and nothing is admissible from an evidence or concessionary point of view.

It would be back to square one, i.e. the point just before the six months was offered.
    I wouldn't have thought WADA knocking back the 6 months deals would throw out the entire investigation. Players would still be free to contest a doping charge, it would simply be a matter of overcoming the evidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I used the term square one and qualified it by saying that would essentially be where we are now.

Post Thanks / Like

WADA are even more out of control than ASADA. I wouldn't be putting my future in their hands.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL denying there is an offer on the table.

Post Thanks / Like

The whole purpose of ASADA 'offering' the 6 month ban to the players is to shake the tree and get some of the players to turn on the club and give evidence that fingers key personnel. Does anyone really think that WADA is going to allow 6 month bans, most of which to be held out of competition, to stand? Unless there are players that do significantly assist the investigation (Crameri and Monfries, you know what to do).

Let's all remember one thing - in pre-season 2012 Essendon knowingly implemented a fast-tracked program to significantly increase the strength of the playing group, which more than likely involved the use of banned PED's. It was a systematic 12 month program involving the injections of thousands of syringes of substances into the players, most of which were mysteriously done off-site and behind the back of the club doctor. Most likely, this is coordinated doping on the scale of East Germany in the 70-80's, China in the 90's and the cycling world in the 90-00's. Everything else about court cases, joint investigations and other fluff is white noise designed to stop the investigation being completed and the findings to be released.

Essendon are rooted and they know it. So does the AFL and so do most media pundits, some of whom are doing their absolute best to smother the story, as their meal ticket is the AFL and the game will be significantly damaged by the likelihood of a foundation club being brought to its knees (through self-inflicted actions and continued arrogance) and unable to field a team for 2 seasons.

Just as Paul Keating used to goad John Hewson in parliament question time in the early 90's, ASADA are going to "do Essendon slowly"

16. Likes N/A liked this post