Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

50 Metre Penalty

Just watching the 1987 State Match on Fox and saw a 15 metre penalty paid.

I don't recall the public debate about the severity of the meterage 15/50 but obviously there was some reason for the change. But like every penalty, crime, traffic violation, doping violation, penalties should be reviewed from time to time to make sure fairness is balanced.

I don't think I can recall any debate over the 50m penalty. But with more reasons to give 50m penalties now (ie interchange violations) should this be discussed as a penalty fitting all crimes or does 50m seem most fair? Or will dropping the meterage down to 25m or 15m mean more 'professional' penalties? Before seeing that I've realised I've never stopped to ask if it's still the best penalty. Just because there's no been no recent discussion doesn't mean the current meterage is most appropriate as the game is today. Thoughts??
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 50 Metre Penalty

It was changed to 50 because the 15 metre was exploited as a professional penalty to stop the play.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    It was changed to 50 because the 15 metre was exploited as a professional penalty to stop the play.
    Would be even worse these days through the middle especially so teams can get back and flood. Picken was tackling the guy who took the mark every time on the weekend, was driving Collingwood supporters nuts. If he held them a moment longer then 50 would have been paid. Picken is actually really good at knowing the limits of the rules and working them, something Wallis needs to get better at
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Any particular teams or players behind that (as offenders)?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I believe Hawthorn and Essendon were very good at it in the 80's
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Sheedy used it as a tactic, and I am pretty sure it was in 1985. I remember being at Windy Hill and it got to the point of being ridiculous. Every single time we marked the ball or had a free kick, the Essendon players were instructed to run towards us to stop us from playing on and get the umpire to stop the game and give a 15 metre penalty.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sheedy used it as a tactic, and I am pretty sure it was in 1985. I remember being at Windy Hill and it got to the point of being ridiculous. Every single time we marked the ball or had a free kick, the Essendon players were instructed to run towards us to stop us from playing on and get the umpire to stop the game and give a 15 metre penalty.
    Makes it hard for the rest of us... But that's the Essendon way...

Post Thanks / Like

Makes it hard for the rest of us... But that's the Essendon way...
    Yes exploit the rules as much as possible.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.