Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Have your say: Tell us your thoughts about the game

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-18/have-your-say

The AFL survey is out, I don't know if it has any affect but I gave them my two cents worth.

Mainly bagged out all the rule changes and equalisation.

Mention about not paying a free for good tackling for incorrect disposal.

It will be interesting to see the general consensus.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have your say: Tell us your thoughts about the game

If the AFL make further changes to the game like putting in Zones, I think I will officially give up on football.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If the AFL make further changes to the game like putting in Zones, I think I will officially give up on football.
    I think it's worth discussing. Those who think footy was better 20 years ago and criticise rolling mauls and 34 players being within a kick of the ball may appreciate teams being forced to play like they used to
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    I think it's worth discussing. Those who think footy was better 20 years ago and criticise rolling mauls and 34 players being within a kick of the ball may appreciate teams being forced to play like they used to
    you give me a rule change I will tell you how it has change the game.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

you give me a rule change I will tell you how it has change the game.
    Isn't it coaching that has changed it though? Rushed behinds, deliberate out of bounds, dragging the ball in, play on after a behind, 15 > 50 metre penalty, 7 second play on from a mark and 30 second play on shooting for goal rules were all brought in because teams got smarter at timewasting to kill momentum or ice the game
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

If the players cover more ground as a collective now, why not reduce the number of players on the ground.

Ie a team of players used to cover 80kms in running combined a game, now say 150kms combined a game with increased aerobic capacity. So take the wings away, go to 2 on the bench, with 2 injury subs.

I'd rather players pace themselves or not a make a contest through fatigue, not because a line on a ground prohibits them making a contest.

Or just let things sort themselves out...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Isn't it coaching that has changed it though? Rushed behinds, deliberate out of bounds, dragging the ball in, play on after a behind, 15 > 50 metre penalty, 7 second play on from a mark and 30 second play on shooting for goal rules were all brought in because teams got smarter at timewasting to kill momentum or ice the game
    What was wrong with that. All knee jerk reactions

Post Thanks / Like

Can we just leave the rules alone?

Look at the world cup in 2010. At this point of the group stage it was averaging just 1.56 goals a game, 4 years later with no rule changes and it is averaging 3.06 goals a game.

The sport will go through phases, some of those phases will be less exciting than others. Stop trying to manipulate the game constantly through annoying and restrictive rule changes and let the game evolve naturally.

*I wrote something like that, along with a lot, and I mean an absolute shitload, about equality in the competition at the moment resembling animal farms "some are more equal than others".
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Can we just leave the rules alone?

Look at the world cup in 2010. At this point of the group stage it was averaging just 1.56 goals a game, 4 years later with no rule changes and it is averaging 3.06 goals a game.

The sport will go through phases, some of those phases will be less exciting than others. Stop trying to manipulate the game constantly through annoying and restrictive rule changes and let the game evolve naturally.

*I wrote something like that, along with a lot, and I mean an absolute shitload, about equality in the competition at the moment resembling animal farms "some are more equal than others".
    I remember there were even thoughts of having a wider goal in soccer due to the lack of goals. Imagine if they did that.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember there were even thoughts of having a wider goal in soccer due to the lack of goals. Imagine if they did that.
    If they did that then they would put in 2 goalies.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    If they did that then they would put in 2 goalies.
    Watching England play with 2 Joe Hart's would be twice as funny.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]