Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Back to the Ressies of Yesteryear?

Now that the AFL has succeeded in taking over the VFL, should the furure of the system be discussed any further. Essentially we have the Victorian teams with a reserves side. In a crazy thought, could we address the issue of high costs of this by returning to the ressies system of old, as far as club structure and match day are concerned? The AFL could argue their next price hike is somehow legitimised by providing a second game to match day goers, and could intersperse more womens or even champs games as curtain raisers.

I like the VFA/VFL histories but I'm not sure how the teams could now fund themselves looking at Bendigo as a victim of not being able to raise enough revenue. Assuming that the VFL could maintain a good level, and are happy to part - is there any merit in bringing a Victorian clubs 'reserves' teams back to match day, and having a dedicated reserves competition, especially if costs come down?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back to the Ressies of Yesteryear?

I wouldn't like that. I know it's exxie but I like how we are competing to win a competition that a lot of people dear. It's the second most (for a substantial number of footy people the most) important premiership race.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Bendigo's problem was that they were essentially competing, both in terms of players and spectators, with a strong local league.

I think that the cost of interstate teams bringing their ressies over, accomodating them etc would be prohibitive to the running of a full blown ressies comp.

I like the structure the way it is at the moment. To be honest I'm surprised Hawthorn haven't gone it alone. Its not as though they lack the resources to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I wouldn't like that. I know it's exxie but I like how we are competing to win a competition that a lot of people dear. It's the second most (for a substantial number of footy people the most) important premiership race.
    I love the VFA/VFL too, growing up with Frankston successful as my local team, and now just hanging in is sad for them as my second VFL team. The thought goes along giving the VFL back to the old teams say 20 years ago or somy such and putting the AFL seconds team into a reserves competition. I love Footscray in the VFL, don't get me wrong, watching our boys in our colours and name has been personally amazing. But holding that to one side, just having the Victorian teams playing in the reserve comp as they are all AFL players and giving the fans two games. I'm sure NSW and QLD teams would benefit greatly if they wanted to join in, SA and WA would be line ball. Who knows add a AFL reserves team from Tassie and see whether they can sustain 11 games?

Personally I'd prefer my Footscray bulldogs, but it's just a thought to other things and structures etc.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Would the grounds hold up to the extra games? Currently these are shared amongst a number of venues but I doubt the MCG and Etihad could run two games on match days twice weekly and still maintain a quality surface.

Also I'd question if the fans want it. We aren't getting many to our games so I couldn't see people wanting to get to the game more 2 hours earlier.

We have played two excellent games in Melbourne in the last 3 weeks and many of our our fans still don't want to go to the game preferring to watch on the tele. I think the only time many of our supporters see Footscray is when it's the ABC match of the round.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I love the curtain raiser, I love being able to watch Footscray at Whitten Oval more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Would the grounds hold up to the extra games? Currently these are shared amongst a number of venues but I doubt the MCG and Etihad could run two games on match days twice weekly and still maintain a quality surface
    That's specifically the issue. With stadium rationalisation, the grounds couldn't take it. I'm liking the model that's emerging now in any case. Occasionally you get your wife's niece's bloody fairy bread party or something that snookers you from the footy, so it's nice to have a second option each week. Different atmosphere, too - which I like.

Post Thanks / Like

Would the grounds hold up to the extra games? Currently these are shared amongst a number of venues but I doubt the MCG and Etihad could run two games on match days twice weekly and still maintain a quality surface.

Also I'd question if the fans want it. We aren't getting many to our games so I couldn't see people wanting to get to the game more 2 hours earlier.

We have played two excellent games in Melbourne in the last 3 weeks and many of our our fans still don't want to go to the game preferring to watch on the tele. I think the only time many of our supporters see Footscray is when it's the ABC match of the round.
    You're negative.

The grounds would be fine in a pure guess... I think the attraction of the reserves could be argued (especially with afternoon games) that it's a 'day out' as opposed to the turn up, play, we all leave, that is footy now. If it was embraced as an opportunity to market and embrace the fans, especially young fans it could be something worth thinking about. Interspersed with TAC, Champs & Women's matches it could be a real benefit for exposure for those playing, the clubs and the AFL.

As for our fans... I'm not too sure what the answer is, we need to tap into a new market somehow.

Post Thanks / Like

I much prefer the reserves being in a separate timeslot and in small more intimate grounds rather than empty stadiums. If they did make it a reserves comp I would still like it to be played at the clubs bases and not as a "curtain raiser".

I would argue that the Woof community is possibly a bit keener on average than the general Bulldogs supporter and there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm on here for the early games.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I much prefer the reserves being in a separate timeslot and in small more intimate grounds rather than empty stadiums. If they did make it a reserves comp I would still like it to be played at the clubs bases and not as a "curtain raiser".

I would argue that the Woof community is possibly a bit keener on average than the general Bulldogs supporter and there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm on here for the early games.
    Personally I would enjoy it but I don't think there is many of our supporters that could free up a further 2 to 3 hours on the weekend to enjoy their football.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would enjoy it but I don't think there is many of our supporters that could free up a further 2 to 3 hours on the weekend to enjoy their football.
    They use to.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They use to.
    It's more of a day, more of something to be a part of, even if only for the second half. It's not just turn up, play, go home. Not having kids I don't know if 5 hours is too long to keep attention, but my memories growing up was always wanting to get to WO for the start of this first game. I loved spending a day with family, and I still love two games, be ressies, TAC, women's league etc.

I also like VFL being a seperate competition, and it's running as an AFL reserves comp. Personally, I love and happily pay for having Footscray back. But leaving aside a personal preference, I think there is a conversation at least on this issue.