Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  85
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Garry Hincks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garry Hincks

Quote Originally Posted by Max469 View Post
    A huge trip. Bus from Portland to Warrnambool. Then train to Melb and to Ballarat. Then return.

Have done the trip from Melb to Porto and return many many times. It is a big day. There are only a couple of buses out each day, so he would have been on the morning buses at either 5.52 am or 9.20am on Sat. or Weekdays at 4.24am, 7.48am or 10.30am so whatever time it would have been a long long day, over 5 hour trip each way. If no issues. A couple of years ago it took me over 6 hours as there a couple of holdups. Monumental effort.

Rest in Peace Garry.
    Huge dedication.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Great 2013 Martin Flanagan article about Garry (& Libba senior). Both RWB treasures. Heartwarming. I think I read it when new but had forgotten about it:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...531-2nhdd.html

Reading this article reminded me of the game I went to in Canberra (recall it was 2017, Tom Liberatore tore his ACL & GWS crushed us) & I was chatting to Garry before the game (both staying at same hotel). He said he would head to catholic mass at a big church not too far from ground before the game. I went too (not religious but enjoy beautiful singing & acoustics). Garry proudly said he had been a choir boy. He clearly loved church singing and services. And of course had been a cook (baker if I recall correctly). A rich life indeed - including our most loyal fan.

3. Thanks GVGjr, Max469 thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will anyone, ever outdo Garry’s incredible streak and dedication? I think a statue should be a huge consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Will anyone, ever outdo Garry’s incredible streak and dedication? I think a statue should be a huge consideration.
    We need to recognise him somehow thats' for sure. His dedication, is surely unparalleled?

Post Thanks / Like

True Bulldogs. Rest well mate.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

That will never be beaten. I’ve been lucky to see the dogs live maybe 15 times in my life. His feat is just unfrigginbelievable. The bulldogs really need to do something to salute him in the best way possible.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    That will never be beaten. I’ve been lucky to see the dogs live maybe 15 times in my life. His feat is just unfrigginbelievable. The bulldogs really need to do something to salute him in the best way possible.
    He is such an iconic character and, not that it should be the deciding factor in saluting someone with a statue, but Garry’s signature look (with the chef’s hat) would certainly work brilliantly.

Fans don’t often get acknowledged with a statue and I think it’s a really unique opportunity that also, by extension, acknowledges all supporters as critical to the club.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 14-08-2021 at 03:37 PM.

10. Likes josie, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is such an iconic character and, not that it should be the deciding factor in saluting someone with a statue, but Garry’s signature look (with the chef’s hat) would certainly work brilliantly.

Fans don’t often get acknowledged with a statue and I think it’s a really unique opportunity that also, by extension, acknowledges all supporters as critical to the club.
    Would have been nice if they had just started with a win and a bit of heart.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

12. Likes Max469, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The players didn’t even have black armbands today.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    The players didn’t even have black armbands today.
    I thought that lacked some respect. Before teeing off I’d love to hear why the club did not do it. I’d hope there’s a good reason.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the Port game will be wearing the black arm bands.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

16. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I believe the Port game will be wearing the black arm bands.
    In honour of today’s performance?????
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

18. Likes bulldogtragic, DOG GOD, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    In honour of today’s performance?????
    Vale Top Spot

Gone. But not forgotten.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

20. Likes KT31, DOG GOD, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My son would always call him Popeye … dunno why, he said that was Garry’s name. Garry didn’t seem to mind.
    WOOF Member 422

22. Likes KT31 liked this post