Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  85
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Garry Hincks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garry Hincks

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Great recognition for Gary to be part of the flag unfurling.

Bulldog Icons - Gary Hincks

Gary Hincks has been coming to watch the Western Bulldogs since he first saw them play as a 30-year-old in 1974. That fact alone is impressive enough and stamps Hincks as a died-in-the-wool Doggies fan.

But what elevates Hincks to 'legend' status in the realm of football fandom is the fact that he has not missed a single game since - not one, single Western Bulldogs match.

To clarify, that's not just Bulldogs home games that Hincks hasn't missed, it's away games, too. And to expand even further, it's not just the Dogs' away games in Melbourne, it's every Western Bulldogs match, in every Australian state and territory.

That's nearly 1,000 games, and Gary Hincks has been there in person for each and every one of them. It is an utterly remarkable achievement, made all the more so by the fact that Hincks lives in Portland in western Victoria, a four-hour drive from Melbourne.

And it gets more remarkable still, for Hincks chooses not to make that four-hour drive each week. Rather, he takes public transport, which turns his trip each way into a six-hour journey.

"I don't like driving", he says, simply.

While the game of football would not be possible without the players themselves, Gary Hincks is conclusive evidence of the fact that football clubs are not possible without the existence of members and fans who display his level of commitment, year in year out, regardless of the prevailing fortunes of the team.

Hincks, always to be found in his distinctive chef's hat, met Tony Liberatore by chance in 2013 when both were on their way to see the Bulldogs take on Gold Coast at Carrara. The Bulldogs lost that match in a seemingly disheartening fashion but at the end of it, Hincks turned to 'Libba' and said the Bulldogs were evolving and would win a flag within three years.

Gary Hincks was right. The Western Bulldogs saluted last year, their 2016 premiership win due as much to the support of loyal fans like him as to the efforts of the players on the MCG last October.

People like Gary Hincks who offer the club their undying, unconditional support deserve special recognition, and they will receive just that this Friday night when Hincks joins other Bulldogs greats to be part of the premiership flag unfurling ceremony.
    One of our best supporters ever!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I emailed the CEO Gary Kent last year about seeing if the club could look after Gary with Membership/Seats/Life Membership. Gary's PA said he would get back to me but I never received a response. I sat with Gary at the Geelong game last year and he was telling me how he uses all his pension for travel/tickets etc. I was hoping the club would start helping him out. I asked him if the club looked after him but he said no which is why I emailed the club. He was close to missing a game last year as he had a fall at the Cairns game and had to be hospitalised but he pulled through and made the game the next week.

4. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a legend .

Post Thanks / Like

Absolute supporter. Solid, staunch, a special person. Great to see him recognized as a Club icon.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

7. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a huge standing ovation from the crowd for Garry when his name was announced during the start of the flag unfurling ceremony.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

9. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    There was a huge standing ovation from the crowd for Garry when his name was announced during the start of the flag unfurling ceremony.
    A great moment within a great moment. What a feeling that must have been for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Hincks’ remarkable milestone

We love milestones in football, and this weekend the Club will celebrate a milestone of a different kind, and a remarkable one at that.

Garry Hincks attended his first Bulldogs game back in 1974 when he was 30-years-old and this weekend will mark his 1000th consecutive game as a spectator.

To clarify, that's not just Bulldogs home games that Hincks hasn't missed, it's away games, too. And to expand even further, it's not just the Dogs' away games in Melbourne, it's every Western Bulldogs match, in every Australian state and territory.

To make this achievement even more spectacular is that Gary lives in Portland, a four hour drive from Melbourne.

If you see Gary this weekend, cheering the Dogs on in his familiar chef’s hat, say hello and congratulate him on his extraordinary display of loyalty to our Club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

After we beat the eagles in the 2016 EF, we chatted to Garry as he walked into the G. He’d stayed in Perth and flown back that morning for the Hawks match. We got a photo with him like he was a celebrity - which he is!!! Such dedication, well done
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely bloke. Have sat next to him at Etihad last year and by chance met him in Canberra round 1 this year so we took bus ride together to Manuka Oval. Humble guy who just epitomises salt of the earth doggie supporter base. Blows my mind to think he has travels to every interstate match from Portland. He noted travelling to Perth, Brisbane etc is way easier than Ballarat games as he largely depends upon public transport.

Post Thanks / Like

I sat about half a dozen people away from him at the EF in Perth! Amazing achievement it is knowing how hard it was for me to sort the Perth trip. Well done Gary, hats off.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    After we beat the eagles in the 2016 EF, we chatted to Garry as he walked into the G. He’d stayed in Perth and flown back that morning for the Hawks match. We got a photo with him like he was a celebrity - which he is!!! Such dedication, well done
    Yeah- I have a selfie with him and treasure the photo. His grin is one of the best you would ever hope to see, infectious happiness. Let’s hope the team can beat the swans to make this weekend a happy one for Garry.

Post Thanks / Like

I sat about half a dozen people away from him at the EF in Perth! Amazing achievement it is knowing how hard it was for me to sort the Perth trip. He was crying after the Perth win. Well done Garry, hats off.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Good onya Garry. That is a monumental achievement and something to be very proud of.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I sat about half a dozen people away from him at the EF in Perth! Amazing achievement it is knowing how hard it was for me to sort the Perth trip. He was crying after the Perth win. Well done Garry, hats off.

So you said.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

What a legend. A great supporter of our club.

If I cross paths with him on Saturday I will definitely say hi and congratulate him.