Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake gets four week ban... Petrie cleared

[B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake gets four week ban... Petrie cleared

About right. Are the Hawks stupid enough to appeal?

Just read the bottom of that, it would appear not.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Hawks weren't happy with lake either so could hardly appeal it after saying themselves how it wasn't acceptable.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

It's a very nasty way to hold someone with your weight on their throat like that.
    Nice bit of revisionist journalism in Theage today, reminding all Bulldogs supporters of what they would rather forget.
    He had his purple patches but my, had some choice moments of lunacy.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Should have got 10 weeks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian Brian Brian. Just seen it. My God!!
    Petrie does strange things to Brian's mentality. Pretty stupid to be honest

Post Thanks / Like

One of the rare times they get it right. Thought 4 for Lake and 2 for Petrie would have covered it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    One of the rare times they get it right. Thought 4 for Lake and 2 for Petrie would have covered it.
    Except Petrie walked

Post Thanks / Like

I'm obviously on my own, but I think Lake's been pretty harshly treated. He tackled Petrie and threw him to the ground, then Petrie throws his elbow and catches Lake in the head, then Lake grabs him around the head, then Petrie eye gouges him, so Lake grabs him by the throat.

Petrie instigated the confrontation, Petrie escalated the confrontation, Lake responded (too aggressively), and Petrie walks free while Lake gets 4 weeks. Lake was hung, drawn, and quartered before people even looked at the sequence of events. Petrie should have got 3 weeks and Lake 1-2.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I'm obviously on my own, but I think Lake's been pretty harshly treated. He tackled Petrie and threw him to the ground, then Petrie throws his elbow and catches Lake in the head, then Lake grabs him around the head, then Petrie eye gouges him, so Lake grabs him by the throat.

Petrie instigated the confrontation, Petrie escalated the confrontation, Lake responded (too aggressively), and Petrie walks free while Lake gets 4 weeks. Lake was hung, drawn, and quartered before people even looked at the sequence of events. Petrie should have got 3 weeks and Lake 1-2.
    Pretty hard to defend Lake when his own team were pouring petrol on the fire with their comments.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Pretty hard to defend Lake when his own team were pouring petrol on the fire with their comments.
    But that's my point, they did so before they'd even had a look at the sequence of events. I'd be willing to bet had they reviewed the footage first they wouldn't have been anywhere near as strong on Lake as they were in the immediate aftermath. They backed themselves into a corner with their initial reactions.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post

Youre not on your own, I agree with you.

The tribunal has become the AFL's public pacifier. Rather than do what a proper legal panel would do-look at the facts and take the sequence of events into account then take precedent into account and come up with a calm, rational decision based on good legal principle it just goes along with whatever everyone lose thinks
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Youre not on your own, I agree with you.

The tribunal has become the AFL's public pacifier. Rather than do what a proper legal panel would do-look at the facts and take the sequence of events into account then take precedent into account and come up with a calm, rational decision based on good legal principle it just goes along with whatever everyone lose thinks
    But are we, the public, to blame for that for rolling out The Outrage Machine every time they get it wrong in our eyes?

Post Thanks / Like

I thought 4 weeks in total was about right for Brainfade and the Petri dish, BUT it should have been 2 weeks each. Brainfade only realy snapped after the Dish clawed at his eyes and face.

The only bonus for us is that Brainfade will miss our game in Tassie, so Big Jack can kick a bag on Schoenmakers.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with those who said Lake was harshly treated - more so the media treatment as opposed to the actual tribunal sentence handed out (I thought 3-4 weeks was around the mark). Obviously a slow news week for the AFL scribes. Meanwhile, there's a team full of (alleged) dopers who most of the scribes are treating with kid gloves and giving a tickle to the tummy.