Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Andrew Newbold urges overhaul of father-son and academy picks in drive towards equalisation

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    GWS and Gold Coast already got every first round pick for like 20 drafts, access to the best underage players they could find, expanded list sizes, and the ability to poach players from other clubs with their gigantic salary caps. They don't need father son, they already have enough toys.

The academy systems are most definitely bullshit and need to go.
    This ^^^^
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Andrew Newbold urges overhaul of father-son and academy picks in drive towards equalisation

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    It seems simple. The AFL funds the academies. There's no alignment. The kids play for QLD/Rams. The picks of the crop go to the draft like all other states. The Northern sides fill their respective NEAFL sides with AFL aspirants like other sides do. hell, i know that clubs liek the Swans put time/staff resources into the academies - so bill the AFL for it. At least they'd be earning their money unlike with the COLA bullshit.
    Sorry to derail but the first line of your post reminded me of this from Team America

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    GWS and Gold Coast already got every first round pick for like 20 drafts

The academy systems are most definitely bullshit and need to go.
    Well, they got them for four or five drafts apiece, didn't they? I honestly think that going about it that way was a mistake by the AFL because it kind of floated them as wooden spooners, but makes them a force in years to come. The way they did it with the Bears was actually the way to go. They were immediately okay, but the non-football people calling the shots and instability at the top meant that they struggled.

The Bears model (ie setting up with mature players) along with AFL backing,good facilities and management would've been the way to go. They're then reasonably competitive at the get-go and can work towards earning a premiership like everyone else.

As it is, they've concocted two teams that went 2 & 20 or thereabouts in their first year and have sucked funding as they build. What's more, they monopolised drafts, meaning that clubs like Melbourne and ourselves were fkd over.

However, all that being said, GWS and GC will not necessarily win flags as everyone thinks. They've got a pretty good 6-7 years ahead of them (as do we), however they'll be disadvantaged by no F/S access for 25+ years. So fro that viewpoint, the concept is semi-justifiable... Note I say SEMI-Justifiable. Ie still cheeky, but you can at least see some justification.

However how they justify the Swans and Lions being included in that is beyond me. In fact it's borderline insulting. The AFL must think we're all stupid..!

This kind of manipulation by the AFL brings an air of futility to supporters of clubs like ours. Sometimes one feels like a mug for turning up to see if we can beat a loaded deck. The AFL wonder why crowds are falling. I'd suggests they bring back some integrity to the comp.

However. If you want to keep F/S, fact is, GCS and GWS need to be given something as a evener. Anyone looking objectively at our competition would have to raise an eyebrow, otherwise. I like F/S too, but the more I think of it, the more I think that the cleanest thing is just a pure draft.. No F/S, no academies, no BS. Just a pure, transparent draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks WD54, nice to start the day with a laugh. Will have to watch that movie again.

As for the Northern Acadamies, just another hurdle in front of us winning a GF. Will be more sweeter when we do it. Sydney are now my number 1 hated side, well equal with the injectors and the under the table brown paper baggers (or should that be blue paper baggers).

Post Thanks / Like

It's not like the F/S turns out champion after champion either. For every little Libba there is a David Round.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew Newbold strikes me as an elitist who would do anything to maintain the Hawks position as a power club. I cannot wait for the wheel to turn. I hate the Hawks with a passion and you just know that their supporters will leave like rats from a sinking ship when they hit tough times.

Arrogant pricks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Andrew Newbold strikes me as an elitist who would do anything to maintain the Hawks position as a power club. I cannot wait for the wheel to turn. I hate the Hawks with a passion and you just know that their supporters will leave like rats from a sinking ship when they hit tough times.

Arrogant pricks.
    Every time I hear this moron speak it reminds me of this

Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships