Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boyd to Re-sign

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boyd to Re-sign

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get what you are saying but the home and away season has finished and I'm not sure that the club will learn anything different between now and the end of the finals. You would hope the club has said if all things finish well over the balance of the season we are vastly more likely to sign you than than not. I think that would be something Matthew Boyd would accept.
    i reckon you'd learn that he's made it through the season in one piece!

I don't mean that to sound flippant. He could rip his hamstring off the bone, do an ACL, dislocate a shoulder, suffer a severe concussion or break a leg in the coming 1-3 weeks. All of which would be career ending. He's not going to be poached prior to October, so why not wait until our season's out? It's a sensible position for all.

2. Likes N/A, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post

I don't mean that to sound flippant. He could rip his hamstring off the bone, do an ACL, dislocate a shoulder, suffer a severe concussion or break a leg in the coming 1-3 weeks. All of which would be career ending. He's not going to be poached prior to October, so why not wait until our season's out? It's a sensible position for all.
    Spot on Webby.

Post Thanks / Like

That's true, but it'd be equally true for Morris or Murphy or other older players. Why is Boyd any different?

5. Likes Rocco Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    That's true, but it'd be equally true for Morris or Murphy or other older players. Why is Boyd any different?
    I don't understand the delay either. Boyd has shown that he is in near career best form. Surely this would be enough to warrant a one year contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd has been the most durable of our three veterans over their careers. He was able to successfully reinvent his career this year at half back to enjoy an outstanding season. We are very fortunate to have 3 such outstanding people who have stood the test of time with great aplomb.

Post Thanks / Like

I hazard to guess that:
    1. Murphy is not at risk of further injury in the coming month
    2. The club made the necessary call to re-sign Murphy several months ago so as to commence his rehab
    3. We are chronically short of players of Dale Morris's ilk, so securing such a key position defender was a must. In fact we need more like him
    4. Unlike Morris and Murphy, Boyd (although great) has about five young understudies looking to break into AFL level via a back pocket
    5. Boyd will almost certainly be re-signed in any case - the only concern is point 4 above plus the risk of a September injury
    6. Common sense prevails

9. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Matty said, if we win the premiership I want to retire.
    Maybe we've said, we will give you a year, but wait until everything else is done to work out the dollars we can offer and hopefully you're happy.p with this figure...
    Or maybe everything between.

I'm happy to wager if we don't win the flag, he gets a contract. There's no real right and wrong, and we would've said by now he will be cut if that was going to happen. I wouldn't spend too much time over thinking it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    I don't understand the delay either. Boyd has shown that he is in near career best form. Surely this would be enough to warrant a one year contract.
    If the reasoning happens to be because he might get seriously injured then it's not a great one.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it the case with anyone in their mid 30's that you take it as a year by year proposition?

And with that being the case, isn't it logical to wait until the end of the season to do the deal? If Boyd were to break his leg Mitch Wallis style or do an ACL Jack Redpath style in his next game, his career is over. He's not 25!

So surely the common sense approach is to get to the end of the year, see how he's feeling and then sign him up for a further year. Of course the media will try to squeeze a story out of it in a slow news, non-football week. However, we'd have to be daft to be baited by it. Common sense prevails!
    We signed Morris though so it's not just an age thing.

Perhaps we're trying to pay him a little more but won't know how much is in the cap until after trade week?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Perhaps we're trying to pay him a little more but won't know how much is in the cap until after trade week?
    Perhaps he wants more?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    No it's not just an age thing. We are desperately short of key position defenders, yet have young fringe midfielders galore who are queuing up for senior footy. Some of them will be ten plus year players. There's an opportunity to rotate a glut of them through bench, back pocket, midfield in the coming year - which is good for the club.

Morris is holding absolutely no one's development up by his presence. However all this being said, Boyd will be re-signed. It's just going to be left until after finals as there's clearly no need for the club to be rash.