Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  86
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Parkville you mean AshMac

Yeah great stuff AshMac. Many Dogs supporters back in the day I reckon did indeed travel a quite a way each week to see us in action on the Saturday.
    Yes Parkville. Good spot. I’m Bayside now so parkdale round the corner!

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Yes Parkville. Good spot. I’m Bayside now so parkdale round the corner!
    Yeah I’m in the east and my Sunday drive there the other week:

From Balwyn took Balwyn Rd then Canterbury Rd which becomes Rathmines Road then a right turn onto a small street called Kildare st which takes you out to Barkers Road which becomes Victoria Street then Victoria Parade then Victoria Street again then onto Hawke street then a right turn onto Spencer Street which becomes Dynon Road which then becomes Hopkins Street in Footscray and then Barkly Street and turned onto Hocking street. Discovered Cross Street which takes you out to Buckingham Street past the old pub The Buck towards Victoria st and also Errol st going towards the ground which becomes Cross st.

Got to Footscray from the east without going through the CBD. It is just good to know how to drive there to the Whitten Oval - the challenge in the future will be the parking.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 14-02-2021 at 09:31 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I’m in the east and my Sunday drive there the other week:

From Balwyn took Balwyn Rd then Canterbury Rd then a small street called Kildare st which takes you out to Barkers Road which becomes Victoria Street then Victoria Parade then Victoria Street again then onto Hawke street then a right turn onto Spencer Street which becomes Dynon Road which then becomes Hopkins Street in Footscray and then Barkly Street. Discovered Cross Street which takes you out to Buckingham Street past the old pub The Buck towards Victoria st and also Errol st going towards the ground which becomes Cross st.

Got to Footscray from the east without going through the CBD. It is just good to know how to drive there to the Whitten Oval - the challenge in the future will be the parking.
    Love your commitment!

These days for me it’s down Nepean, inkerman, Canterbury road then through Docklands and down Footscray road. Same way to Marvel, only shorter - park behind city Mazda.

Hopefully we get the chance to do the trip a lot this year!

Fingers crossed.

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Love your commitment!

These days for me it’s down Nepean, inkerman, Canterbury road then through Docklands and down Footscray road. Same way to Marvel, only shorter - park behind city Mazda.

Hopefully we get the chance to do the trip a lot this year!

Fingers crossed.
    Thanks AshMac Yep I hope we have a chance to go to see the Dogs this season as we Victorians are keen to get back to the footy. Will just have to wait and see.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

7. Likes AshMac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to Whitten Oval yesterday just for another Sunday drive and had a coffee at the McDonalds in Yarraville afterwards. Drove down Victoria St, Charles St and Gamon St in Seddon as well as a bit on Willy Rd. Took a few photos of the great ground:

9. Likes GVGjr, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Careful Easty, Bevo might have you taken in for interrogation for getting too close to WO
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Careful Easty, Bevo might have you taken in for interrogation for getting too close to WO
    Yes I probably should have been aware of that

Post Thanks / Like

NoseBleed had that great image of the ground from the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Easty-not sure you are following our AFLW side but as a lot of woofers have noted it’s great to watch our women’s side play at WO and a wonderful, friendly atmosphere. I also really missed VFL last year - possibly as much as watching live AFL. Nothing like watching footy up closer, although with covid restrictions not as close as we used to be permitted for a while.

15. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Hey Easty-not sure you are following our AFLW side but as a lot of woofers have noted it’s great to watch our women’s side play at WO and a wonderful, friendly atmosphere. I also really missed VFL last year - possibly as much as watching live AFL. Nothing like watching footy up closer, although with covid restrictions not as close as we used to be permitted for a while.
    Yep plenty of opportunities now josie to go there to watch some footy which is great. I’m looking forward to the future re-development of the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Eastie next time stop off at a local cafe such as Migrant Coffee or DUMBO which are five mins from the ground. I’m sure other posters can provide recommendations also.

Support local small business!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Eastie next time stop off at a local cafe such as Migrant Coffee or DUMBO which are five mins from the ground. I’m sure other posters can provide recommendations also.

Support local small business!
    Yeah sounds good. Will keep that in mind. As I mentioned in a previous post it is great that I know how to drive from the eastern suburbs without going through the Melbourne CBD to Footscray and the west. Lots in the hospitality industry did it tough during the lockdown so yes they definitely need that community support more than ever. Are you in the Footscray inner west area now azabob or in the inner north west still?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    No 4. Our next door neighbours were on the corner of Clarke street. Russell was the other end of the block.
    I have been on Clive st past your old house Twodogs Certainly would have been handy to park around there and walk to the Whitten Oval. Will have to catch up one day at a pub somewhere in Footscray or Yarraville.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been on Clive st past your old house Twodogs Certainly would have been handy to park around there and walk to the Whitten Oval. Will have to catch up one day at a pub somewhere in Footscray or Yarraville.
    It was a great place to live. The people who bought it from my old landlord got a bargain when they bought it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

22. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It was a great place to live. The people who bought it from my old landlord got a bargain when they bought it.
    The West Footscray area certainly is becoming popular with young families. Gettimg expensive but still very good value close to the city.