Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  86
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Jesus, sounds like one hell of a bender

I loved a good bender back in the day! I wish I could remember more of them, I'd write a book.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I loved a good bender back in the day! I wish I could remember more of them, I'd write a book.
    In my teens when I was living in Brisbane I went on a bender, started Thursday midday and woke up Sunday afternoon with no shirt, phone, or wallet somewhere on the Gold Coast. Do not even remotely remember those days in-between.

My younger brother topped me tho, for his 21st he started partying in Melbourne and woke up in Bali, somehow.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

In my teens when I was living in Brisbane I went on a bender, started Thursday midday and woke up Sunday afternoon with no shirt, phone, or wallet somewhere on the Gold Coast. Do not even remotely remember those days in-between.

My younger brother topped me tho, for his 21st he started partying in Melbourne and woke up in Bali, somehow.

Poh! That's elite partying.

Back in the '80s I worked in an office and right behind the receptionist was a white board that had everybody's name and their whereabouts if they weren't in the office. At the bottom it had a list of who was off on leave, what sort of leave it was and that sort of thing, typically it said something like Judy: Sick leave, has the flu won't be back until at least Thursday. Divert her calls to Adam.

One day I walked past and there was an entry in the sick leave section. Rohan: Has woken up stark naked in a beanbag, doesn't know where he is. Won't be in today, take a message.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the '80s I worked in an office and right behind the receptionist was a white board that had everybody's name and their whereabouts if they weren't in the office. At the bottom it had a list of who was off on leave, what sort of leave it was and that sort of thing, typically it said something like Judy: Sick leave, has the flu won't be back until at least Thursday. Divert her calls to Adam.

One day I walked past and there was an entry in the sick leave section. Rohan: Has woken up stark naked in a beanbag, doesn't know where he is. Won't be in today, take a message.
    These are better stories than the thread title.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Was good when I was at the Whitten Oval for the family day a month ago to see a few displays out in the Barkers Cafe about the history of the club and the ground including photos of the fightback and the redevelopment in the early 2000s with photos of then prime minister John Howard and then president David Smorgon.

Also love they have the old Bulldog there from the 80s footage I saw on YouTube of the fightback. Checked out the Bulldog shop but have to check out the Bulldog museum sometime.

Are you able to access the Bulldog museum at VFL games probably the best opportunity as during the week busy with work etc.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I have never met a Rohan that parties like that. Hang on, I've never met a Rohan that parties full stop.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    I have never met a Rohan that parties like that. Hang on, I've never met a Rohan that parties full stop.

Believe it or not this particular Rohan played league footy back in the '80s with North Melbourne. The physical demands of playing AFL were somewhat less rigorous back then.

But I know what you mean. We had two Rohans working with us. One played league footy and the other one glorified in the nickname of Pencil Head! Although Pencil Head drove stock cars. Fast. One Friday night we did St Albans to the corner of Spencer St and Bourke st (the Beehive Tavern?) in less than 20 minutes. I will never forget the first time I got into his car, he had these special seat belts that really strapped you into the seat. He just said "strap yourself in. We are going to be travelling"

Post Thanks / Like

"Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I have mentioned I have trained it to the Whitten Oval a number of times but today I decided to bite the bullet and drove to the Whitten Oval. Great drive and now I have another option apart from the train. My first time I have driven there myself.

Go Dogs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I have mentioned I have trained it to the Whitten Oval a number of times but today I decided to bite the bullet and drove to the Whitten Oval. Great drive and now I have another option apart from the train. My first time I have driven there myself.

Go Dogs!
    How long did it take Easty?

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go Dogs!
    Any particular reason you did it today Easty or just wanted to go for a Sunday drive?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff Easty!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How long did it take Easty?
    Wasn’t keeping track of that but didn’t seem that long to me driving from Balwyn. Was a bit of traffic so all dependant on that. Went via Victoria st/parade route Dynon Road to Footscray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Any particular reason you did it today Easty or just wanted to go for a Sunday drive?
    Just went for a Sunday drive

Post Thanks / Like

Just went for a Sunday drive
    Good day for it!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.